Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 13:07   #1

Where would you go?

Where would you cruise if you were in our shoes?

My wife and I are in our late twenties and live aboard our Nor'West 33. We will be leaving Puget Sound this summer and headed south. We have little plans beyond that. I have lots of offshore experience, my wife has little. The boat is equipped for cruising and well maintained.

I am a shipwright/carpenter/fisherman/business major and my wife is a teacher/financial assistant. We will have about $50,000 that any amount of could be spent on the trip. Meaning if we spent it all we would still be able to settle into a land based life; but spending less and extending our trip would be great.

We are open to any suggestions; Mexico, Hawaii, Fiji, circumnavigation? I am very interested to hear what others would do. And happy to give more information if that would help.

Thanks
Daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 13:53   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Where would you go?

Sounds like you guys are well setup to take off. I'd head to Pacific Mexico for a season. This will get you into some fun, easy and cheap cruising. Then figure out what you want to do to the boat to better match your style of cruising. Then you can decide where you'll spend hurricane season and where to go for the cruising season.
Old 05-01-2014, 15:09   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

Before heading out, your wife (and you) might like to read Atlantic Circle, by Kathryn Lasky Knight. She was in somewhat the same situation as your wife when they set out. Mexico seems to be having funky things going on with foreign cruising boats being impounded right now, but that might get straightened out by summertime. Hawaii might also be nice. A long sea passage can help keep you away from the temptations of shoreside, and their expenses, which can help keep the cruising kitty intact longer.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 15:49   #4
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Doesn't really matter that much, almost everywhere is nice when your cruising in the sun
Planning is overrated, IMHO, it can easily sort itself out along the way if you can let go that much. Too much can lock your mind into going somewhere even after it's stopped making sense to go there.
Enjoy
And don't listen to anyone on the Internet

Sent from my SGP312 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 16:41   #5

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Take your time heading South. When you get tired of a place or seen everything you want to see, go to the next place. Once you get to Panama, if you are still enjoying yourself, head West and go island hopping. Eventually, you'll decide where to go next and keep going or to go back home. Whatever you do, it's your choice and adventure.
Enjoy it!
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote