Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2016, 11:52   #1

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: What's the Worst Boat YOU Ever Had?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I could agree with comments about the Contessa 26 being wet, narrow and a bit tender, not not slow. I averaged 110 miles a day from Mexico to the Marquesas, and later 90 miles a day from the Tuamotus to Hawaii and that included 2 days of about 15 miles a day in the doldrums. One thing that was great about it was that it never leaked other than the non-selfbailing cockpit. I understand that Tanias Contessa was Canadian built, which I dont think was as good a build quality as the British built ones. I just bought a Catalina 22, so I may have a worst boat story by the end of summer. I will wait and see. _____Grant.
I was hoping to see someone come to the defense of the speed of the Folkboat/Contessa. They are not slow but are wet sailing.

You'll find the Catalina not as well constructed but lighter, more tender, more nimble and maneuverable and has less waterline so will be slower.
Old 24-03-2016, 12:24   #2

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I was hoping to see someone come to the defense of the speed of the Folkboat/Contessa. They are not slow but are wet sailing.
Folkboats are classic boats (from 1942) that were planned for regular people, as the name (folkbåt) says. Those classics are typically "wet" because of the classic sleek wooden hull. They are still very respected boats with good reputation in the Nordic countries. Not luxury but practical.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post

You'll find the Catalina not as well constructed but lighter, more tender, more nimble and maneuverable and has less waterline so will be slower.
I'll come to the Contessa's defense.!... even though I stated it was the worst I ever owned! It was well built, pretty as sin. It was "worst" for me as it's just not my type of boat. I tend to prefer beamier designs with longer waterlines that don't rely on 50% ballast like the folkboat/contessa etc.
That doesn't mean the Contessa is a bad boat, just "bad" for me!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote