Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2016, 18:43   #61

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: What's the Worst Boat YOU Ever Had?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
There was a guy in the boatyard once that had one of those things about 50' in length. When he investigated why his strip planking was coming apart on the amas below and just above the water line, he discovered it had been glued with sikaflex or something similar. Credit where credit is due; it held together for 20 years or so.
Strip planking? Piver? Never heard of that combo, for all the many Piver designs were for glass over plywood construction. Not that it matters, but I kinda doubt that it was a Piver design... on the other hand, he complained a lot about folks modifying his designs, so I guess it could be!

Jim
Old 22-03-2016, 19:00   #62
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Sure did! Since quitting boatyard management and going solo, I'm making it my personal mission to provide restoration of older boats at costs people can actually afford. Yard rates are ridiculous. Far too many boats out there languishing in their slips in need of restoration, for lack of the massive amount of funds needed for yard restoration. This Cascade would have gone in the landfill without me, as the yard bill would have substantially exceeded the value of the boat. Average cost to landfill a boat approaches 10k, therefore for not much more money than it would have cost him to destroy it, I restored it. Feels good!

Currently rebuilding a broken Wauquiez Centurion 42, '91.
Kudos to you👍🏻
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 20:25   #63

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Strip planking? Piver? Never heard of that combo, for all the many Piver designs were for glass over plywood construction. Not that it matters, but I kinda doubt that it was a Piver design... on the other hand, he complained a lot about folks modifying his designs, so I guess it could be!

Jim
The owner was calling it that at the time but it is possible it was something else. He was a first time boat owner iirc.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 21:23   #64

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Cannot recall the make but it was a 20 foot twin keel built in Britain and brought back to Canada by a retiring serviceman. The twin keels bespoke of being able to leave it an estuary that dried out with the tide and it would stay upright (sort of).
Powered by an ancient seagull outboard that must have been about 5 HP, sails were waterproof cotton, I believe and totally blown out. Boat was filthy inside and out but only cost me $200 in 1961, which, now that I think of it was a lot of cash.
Because my prior boat was a sailing skiff, having a roof over my head was marvelous, even though the hatch was a bit leaky. Sailed her for about 3 years and only got the engine running a couple of times.
Sold her for about what I paid but the xperience was well worth all the troubles. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:27   #65

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
My very bold acquaintance had a Piver 35 that he was very proud of and selling. It came out for survey and he wanted to show how tough the hull was so he fetched a 2x4 and whacked the side of main hull with it. Needless to say he had a large hole to repair before putting back in the water. Glass over ply construction.
Old 23-03-2016, 21:45   #66

I could agree with comments about the Contessa 26 being wet, narrow and a bit tender, not not slow. I averaged 110 miles a day from Mexico to the Marquesas, and later 90 miles a day from the Tuamotus to Hawaii and that included 2 days of about 15 miles a day in the doldrums. One thing that was great about it was that it never leaked other than the non-selfbailing cockpit. I understand that Tanias Contessa was Canadian built, which I dont think was as good a build quality as the British built ones. I just bought a Catalina 22, so I may have a worst boat story by the end of summer. I will wait and see. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 23:58   #67

Only have had two sailboats. a Prindle 16 catamaran that is so much fun and fast that there is nothing bad to say about them. now I own a Macgregor 25 which is much slower but a great boat. Plenty of living space and easy to sail and pretty fast for a monohull.
thericksster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 00:54   #68

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Red face Re: What's the Worst Boat YOU Ever Had?

The worst boat I ever had was a small dinghy I planned to use as a tender. It looked good. But it was remarkably unstable. Even if you shifted your weight a bit it nearly tipped. I don't know why it was so unstable compared to other dinghies and I didn't use it for long enough to find out.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 02:20   #69

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Sure did! Since quitting boatyard management and going solo, I'm making it my personal mission to provide restoration of older boats at costs people can actually afford. Yard rates are ridiculous. Far too many boats out there languishing in their slips in need of restoration, for lack of the massive amount of funds needed for yard restoration. This Cascade would have gone in the landfill without me, as the yard bill would have substantially exceeded the value of the boat. Average cost to landfill a boat approaches 10k, therefore for not much more money than it would have cost him to destroy it, I restored it. Feels good!

Currently rebuilding a broken Wauquiez Centurion 42, '91.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 11:52   #70

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I could agree with comments about the Contessa 26 being wet, narrow and a bit tender, not not slow. I averaged 110 miles a day from Mexico to the Marquesas, and later 90 miles a day from the Tuamotus to Hawaii and that included 2 days of about 15 miles a day in the doldrums. One thing that was great about it was that it never leaked other than the non-selfbailing cockpit. I understand that Tanias Contessa was Canadian built, which I dont think was as good a build quality as the British built ones. I just bought a Catalina 22, so I may have a worst boat story by the end of summer. I will wait and see. _____Grant.
I was hoping to see someone come to the defense of the speed of the Folkboat/Contessa. They are not slow but are wet sailing.

You'll find the Catalina not as well constructed but lighter, more tender, more nimble and maneuverable and has less waterline so will be slower.
Old 24-03-2016, 12:21   #71

Boat: Catalina 387

Worst I've ever sailed on? I managed to sink a (unsinkable) Lido 14 once. It was truly a submarine with a mast sticking out - I almost got it back to the dock.

I learned on a Columbia 5.5. Pretty pretty boat. Looked like it would be a rocket. It is not. Still, that was a fun boat.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 12:24   #72

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I was hoping to see someone come to the defense of the speed of the Folkboat/Contessa. They are not slow but are wet sailing.
Folkboats are classic boats (from 1942) that were planned for regular people, as the name (folkbåt) says. Those classics are typically "wet" because of the classic sleek wooden hull. They are still very respected boats with good reputation in the Nordic countries. Not luxury but practical.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 12:27   #73
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What's the Worst Boat YOU Ever Had?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Wasn't that Donald Crowhurst's boat of choice?
Explains a lot huh..!!
Re the Folkboats.. lovely boats if cramped internally... an Aussie I got to know in Spain owned one.. based in Agua Dulce for a few years.
In the Fall he'd head home to Oz for their summer and return in the Spring to go sailing..
Yup.. Mark was a pretty cool young guy..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"I am not less life-loving than you are.
But I cannot sell my birthright, nor am I prepared to sell the birthright of the people to be free." Nelson Mandela.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 18:38   #74

Boat: Newport 28 II

Hands down
Ericson 27
Slowest worse handeling sailboat i've owned or sailed.
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 20:54   #75

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyh View Post
Hands down
Ericson 27
Slowest worse handeling sailboat i've owned or sailed.
Interesting, Tommy... I crewed on an Ericson 26 in the beer can races on Bellingham Bay back in the 80's and thought we did pretty well. Although my memory of those days is pretty shaky(thank goodness). Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote