Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2013, 19:45   #31

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: What sailboat to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Tee

Hmmm - lets see - sailing over 20 years and owned several cruising boats, had a Shannon, sold it a few months ago (in the fall I assume?) and you are at loss with whats out there? Like - you don't know?

Whats going on? This does not sound right.

I would question if there was a Shannon...
I'd do some basic research before I started making accusations like that.

Here's a post from February 2011 by TEE:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post627891
Old 31-01-2013, 20:26   #32

Boat: Boereal 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Tee

Hmmm - lets see - sailing over 20 years and owned several cruising boats, had a Shannon, sold it a few months ago (in the fall I assume?) and you are at loss with whats out there? Like - you don't know?

Whats going on? This does not sound right.

I would question if there was a Shannon...
I hate this crap, why would he know? He owned a beautiful boat why would he be looking in detail at other boats. Now the guy is asking for some help to get him looking at what is out there seeing that he does not own a boat anymore. Looks like he owned a Shannon to me. Give him a break. Give him some ideas if you own any.
Cheers
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 20:33   #33

Boat: Newport 28 II
Just a little humor here to lighten things up.
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 20:40   #34

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyh View Post
Just a little humor here to lighten things up.
You seem to be falling back on that a lot lately.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:53   #35

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewrye View Post
I hate this crap, why would he know? He owned a beautiful boat why would he be looking in detail at other boats. Now the guy is asking for some help to get him looking at what is out there seeing that he does not own a boat anymore. Looks like he owned a Shannon to me. Give him a break. Give him some ideas if you own any.
Cheers
Sure, get a Shannon, excellent boat.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:24   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What sailboat to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEE View Post
I have been sailing for well over 20 years and have owned many different cruising sailboats during that time. Also, I have seen many boat builders with excellent products go out of business. Reading the sailing magazines, one would think all the boats made by your typical cookie cutter companies are fine products. But having been on many recently built production sailboats, to put it lightly, I am unimpressed. Frankly, I question whether some of them would even be safe for anything but coastal cruising although they are advertised as Water boats">blue water boats.

My question is, with the most recent demise of Valient, are they any great production sailboats made now that don't cost over a million dollars, and are true blue water boats. I am looking at boats now since I sold my Shannon a few months ago and am at a loss for anything worthy of buying. Any suggestions for new boats I might look at would be appreciated.

You could look at Jongerts.... here's some of their old stuff...
http://yachts.apolloduck.com/boats.phtml?id=478
Doubt you'll find true quality new for under a million in -45ft..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:35   #37

Boat: Flicka, 20' homebuilt

You read right, at 65 and sailing since 27, a lot of water has gone under the bridge between boats, broads, and booze. Yea I have had 3 PSC's and presently one New Old Stock and one I am restoring. The NOS is close to 40 years old and has never been in the water so this is a treat which I am getting close to floating. I am planning on some coastal and island cruising in the Gulf, in the next year or so. They do have some PSC's up at the Factory at Washington North Carolina. Kinda hard to find as it is in the back of an old fabric weaving loom factory which is huge. Say hello to Thumper Brooks and the gang!
Cheers!
bill cartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:01   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You could look at Jongerts.... here's some of their old stuff...
http://yachts.apolloduck.com/boats.phtml?id=478
Doubt you'll find true quality new for under a million in -45ft..
Boatman61,

Why do you think you can't find quality for under one million in a boat around 45 feet? What are your standards for true quality?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:26   #39

Boat: Newport 28 II
Bill, im envious of you. Sounds like your living the life. Enjoy!
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 13:33   #40

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Since you limited it to boats still in production (and from the posts I'm assuming mono's): Caliber LRC, Shannon, Hallberg-Rassy, Amel, Swan, Hinckely, Cherubini (oh my, beautiful boats).

If this menu of impressive boats still leaves you at a loss then I think a custom build is your only answer...or maybe something with more hulls?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:04   #41

Re: What Sailboat to Buy?

Island Packet. Not glamorous, but good boats.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:43   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Since you limited it to boats still in production (and from the posts I'm assuming mono's): Caliber LRC, Shannon, Hallberg-Rassy, Amel, Swan, Hinckely, Cherubini (oh my, beautiful boats).

If this menu of impressive boats still leaves you at a loss then I think a custom build is your only answer...or maybe something with more hulls?
All great boats but can you buy a new Shannon, HR, Amel, Swan, Hinckley around the 45 foot range for under one million dollars? Remember they all need add on items to leave port. Add on items should cost about 100 thousand for a boat that size, but I guess it depends how complete they come out of the factory. Most come with a basic sail setup, no furllers, no strong track, no deck gear except your basic dock lines, no anchors or chain, no inflatable or outboard, no electronics, no dishware, no solar, wind or genset, no spare anything, they are all extras and if you have the company lets say add furllers or anything for that matter there is the cost of man power installing it. It builds up fast.

But you still can get a lot of great bluewater new boats for under 1 million.
Ovni, garcia, Pogo, bluewater, Boreal, IP to name a few all in that 40 to 45 foot range.
Old 01-02-2013, 14:52   #43

Given that I agree with the statement about many new boats, why would anyone buy a new boat when they can buy something like this? (and pocket $700,000 dollars change)

1986 Bristol Bristol 54.4 center cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 15:51   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Given that I agree with the statement about many new boats, why would anyone buy a new boat when they can buy something like this? (and pocket $700,000 dollars change)

1986 Bristol Bristol 54.4 center cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
If no one bought new boats there would be no used boats

That Bristol is a nice boat but would you buy it and sail away lets say to the pacific for 5 years without refitting it? How much would you guess to refit it and you doing at least half the work yourself. It needs all new sails they are over 10 years old, a nice boat like that should have good sails, 25 thousand. The boat was built in 84 I think, maybe all new rigging, last time I had that job done on our Mason 44 was about 25 grand for complete refit of mast, strong track, all new halyards and goose neck. Those teak decks I'm sure will need some type of work they all do at that age, money honey! What about that in mast main furller, not for me maybe a new mast, I can't imagine that cost. Engine is 30 years old could rebuild it I guess or better yet you might want a new one if your going cruising for a long time where there are no place to get it fixed.

I know you can just sail it away as is and maybe do fine but I will say it is no fun sailing to beautiful exotic places and always worrying about what will break next. Even with a new or well rebuilt boat there is enough to worry about.

So lets say you put 135,000 into that boat and you should if you are going cruising with the family for a long period. That brings the cost up to about 450,000 US. Did I mention the fuel and water tanks on a boat that age?
Myself and many cruisers who have bought older boats have the scares on our hands to prove we did the needed work to make those beautiful old boats seaworthy, safe and enjoyable to sail.

You can get one hell of a seaworthy boat new for close to that price with all the gear. That is why some cruisers buy new boats.
Old 01-02-2013, 20:31   #45
TEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednotzee View Post
Used or new? What size? What hull material? I would say Pacific Seacraft or Island Packet.
Or, if you're willing to wait awhile, maybe this?
Adventure 40 Offshore Voyaging Sailboat
I am somewhat familiar with Island Packets. I once owned a Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37, but the company went broke and I don't know anything about the "new" company in North Carolina or the quality of what they build if they are still in business.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat