Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2017, 11:48   #1

Boat: Albin Vega
What Do You Think Of This Vega?

I can't get this damn boat out of my head.

1973 Albin Vega Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I'm set on a Vega and in one way or another am planning to be off for 6-? months in less than 6 months from now to cruise (not wicked huge on plans). Problem is: there isn't much chance that I'd be able to go see it prior to purchase. I can't glean much from the pictures but it looks as though the current owner has mostly used it as a liveaboard (TWO pictures of a TV!? C'mon!)

It seems like a decent deal. about $14500 CAD or $18500 with an inspection, haulout and annual storage on the hard. Probably a bit more to get someone to move it to the travel lift etc.

I'd say a similar boat would cost about the same off the West Coast of Canada but that's not quite true. The exterior paint on this boat is precisely what I want so that would save me a hassle and ensure I like looking at my new home right from the start.

Obviously this thing'd need some new sails right quick and solar panels/wind gen or something of the sort...well, not NEED but those'd be a good idea. The sails for sure and probably a windvane self steering system pretty quick. Still not sure how many through-hulls Vegas have but I'd replace the below waterline ones before taking off for sure.

I dunno, I'm apprehensive, what do you think? I know it's foolish to buy sight-unseen but damn, it's foolish to have time off and no boat too and the Vegas I've seen out West (and East for that matter) in the Americas have not impressed me all that much.

Oh yeah and no word on the year or condition of standing rigging other than the meaningless "it's in good condition" as if a seller would say otherwise. So that'd have to get taken care of also. Anyone even know where to get new Vega "chainplates"? I hear of people replacing the wire and fittings but rarely are the chainplates mentioned. Considering how easily it could be done compared to most boats I figure why not do it? Doesn't make sense to me to attach new wire to old plates.

Also, the 240 Volt electrical system is a concern, but maybe it shouldn't be? I mean if you are cruising chances are excellent wherever you are will have different standards, right? I don't plan to spend much time in marinas anyway.
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 12:04   #2

Re: What Do You Think Of This Vega?

I think they have a remarkable reputation.

Maybe one of these for comparison.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/63479

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/64277
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 12:14   #3

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
am planning to be off for 6-? months in less than 6 months from now to cruise (not wicked huge on plans).
One thing not mentioned explicitly in the listing that you may want to consider ... in 6 months from now ... will you be happy taking possession, outfitting, and starting cruising a new to you 40 year old boat as Winter approaches the west coast of Scotland?
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 12:18   #4

Happy might not be the word for it but sometimes a little adversity is worthwhile, don't you think?

I'm sure it's not much worse than doing it on "The Island" ��
Old 20-04-2017, 12:21   #5

Yeah I saw both of those; won't buy either.
Old 20-04-2017, 12:43   #6

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
I'm sure it's not much worse than doing it on "The Island" ��
Touché ... The Scottish winter in good weather is magical, but just make sure you're prepared for the rest of the time ... or make getting south part of your plan.

Whatever boat you get ... keep it fun, and good luck.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 13:00   #7

Quote:
oh
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 13:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
Touché ... The Scottish winter in good weather is magical, but just make sure you're prepared for the rest of the time ... or make getting south part of your plan.

Whatever boat you get ... keep it fun, and good luck.
South is definitely in my plans! I'd be prepping to do "the milk run" hence the interest in brand new standing rigging and sails. I guess on the plus side while in Scotland my steaks would remain cool haha.

I've got a drysuit too so that makes a world of difference. I was out canoeing off Read Island a few winters ago to the astonishment of many. No shortage of wind or breaking waves that year lol. Was kind of cool braving those conditions. Lot easier in a sailboat tho.
Old 20-04-2017, 14:31   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: C&C 33 MKII

Look at it this way. You are Betting 20k on a boat sight unseen. The probability that the seller isn't exagerating is less than 5% which means you have a 95% chance of throwing good money after bad.

You could get lucky. But I would walk or offer the seller a lot less and see if he bites.

The best way to negotiate is to not want what your buying.

Please tell us what happens.

Fair winds
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 14:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish_ct View Post
Look at it this way. You are Betting 20k on a boat sight unseen. The probability that the seller isn't exagerating is less than 5% which means you have a 95% chance of throwing good money after bad.

You could get lucky. But I would walk or offer the seller a lot less and see if he bites.

The best way to negotiate is to not want what your buying.

Please tell us what happens.

Fair winds
Yes, you are absolutely right. Thank you for that much needed dose of reality
Old 20-04-2017, 15:02   #11

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:

I'm set on a Vega and in one way or another am planning to be off for 6-? months in less than 6 months from now to cruise (not wicked huge on plans). Problem is: there isn't much chance that I'd be able to go see it prior to purchase. I can't glean much from the pictures but it looks as though the current owner has mostly used it as a liveaboard (TWO pictures of a TV!? C'mon!)

It seems like a decent deal. about $14500 CAD or $18500 with an inspection, haulout and annual storage on the hard. Probably a bit more to get someone to move it to the travel lift etc.

I'd say a similar boat would cost about the same off the West Coast of Canada but that's not quite true. The exterior paint on this boat is precisely what I want so that would save me a hassle and ensure I like looking at my new home right from the start.

Obviously this thing'd need some new sails right quick and solar panels/wind gen or something of the sort...well, not NEED but those'd be a good idea. The sails for sure and probably a windvane self steering system pretty quick. Still not sure how many through-hulls Vegas have but I'd replace the below waterline ones before taking off for sure.

I dunno, I'm apprehensive, what do you think? I know it's foolish to buy sight-unseen but damn, it's foolish to have time off and no boat too and the Vegas I've seen out West (and East for that matter) in the Americas have not impressed me all that much.

Oh yeah and no word on the year or condition of standing rigging other than the meaningless "it's in good condition" as if a seller would say otherwise. So that'd have to get taken care of also. Anyone even know where to get new Vega "chainplates"? I hear of people replacing the wire and fittings but rarely are the chainplates mentioned. Considering how easily it could be done compared to most boats I figure why not do it? Doesn't make sense to me to attach new wire to old plates.

Also, the 240 Volt electrical system is a concern, but maybe it shouldn't be? I mean if you are cruising chances are excellent wherever you are will have different standards, right? I don't plan to spend much time in marinas anyway.
Why don't you go to the YBW forum and ask people if they know this specific boat, or are willing to have a look while having a Skype video call with you?
BTW a HUGE chunk of the world is using 220/240V.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 15:13   #12

I STRONGLY suggest you not buy a boat without inspecting it. It is very rare for the reality to match what is said in an ad.
One option is to pay a surveyor to go do the in the water inspection and report back. Then you can go further if you want.
I think the Vegas are cool boats, but they are a bit narrow old school, so feel much smaller than their length suggests if you have looked at beamier boats of that size.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 16:40   #13

You are right. I will hold off unless I can get the time off.

I know the boat is small. It's a sacrifice I will have to make for seaworthiness. I've considered other boats, this one is as close to perfect as I'm willing to pay for. Unless someone wanys to unload a Vancouver 27 for a third of normal market value lol. Anybody? Didn't think so.
Old 21-04-2017, 08:08   #14

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:

sounds like you missed out on this one last month.. Beautiful Albin Vega 27' sailboat | eBay
Old 21-04-2017, 09:21   #15

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

Quote:
I am curious to why you would not consider either of these boats? The reason I ask is I am trying to learn from others to what to look for when purchasing a boat.

I think that I would pass on the boat in Cali only because it does not have an inboard. The cost to buy and install a new diesel, with tranny and prop would probably add another $10k-$15k to the cost.

Thanks,
Kevin
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote