Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2017, 11:48   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2016
Boat: Nothing yet
Posts: 232
What Do You Think Of This Vega?

I can't get this damn boat out of my head.

1973 Albin Vega Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I'm set on a Vega and in one way or another am planning to be off for 6-? months in less than 6 months from now to cruise (not wicked huge on plans). Problem is: there isn't much chance that I'd be able to go see it prior to purchase. I can't glean much from the pictures but it looks as though the current owner has mostly used it as a liveaboard (TWO pictures of a TV!? C'mon!)

It seems like a decent deal. about $14500 CAD or $18500 with an inspection, haulout and annual storage on the hard. Probably a bit more to get someone to move it to the travel lift etc.

I'd say a similar boat would cost about the same off the West Coast of Canada but that's not quite true. The exterior paint on this boat is precisely what I want so that would save me a hassle and ensure I like looking at my new home right from the start.

Obviously this thing'd need some new sails right quick and solar panels/wind gen or something of the sort...well, not NEED but those'd be a good idea. The sails for sure and probably a windvane self steering system pretty quick. Still not sure how many through-hulls Vegas have but I'd replace the below waterline ones before taking off for sure.

I dunno, I'm apprehensive, what do you think? I know it's foolish to buy sight-unseen but damn, it's foolish to have time off and no boat too and the Vegas I've seen out West (and East for that matter) in the Americas have not impressed me all that much.

Oh yeah and no word on the year or condition of standing rigging other than the meaningless "it's in good condition" as if a seller would say otherwise. So that'd have to get taken care of also. Anyone even know where to get new Vega "chainplates"? I hear of people replacing the wire and fittings but rarely are the chainplates mentioned. Considering how easily it could be done compared to most boats I figure why not do it? Doesn't make sense to me to attach new wire to old plates.

Also, the 240 Volt electrical system is a concern, but maybe it shouldn't be? I mean if you are cruising chances are excellent wherever you are will have different standards, right? I don't plan to spend much time in marinas anyway.
__________________

__________________
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 12:04   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
Three Sisters's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 305
Re: What Do You Think Of This Vega?

I think they have a remarkable reputation.

Maybe one of these for comparison.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/63479

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/64277
__________________

__________________
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 12:14   #3
Registered User
 
Kelkara's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Vancouver Island
Boat: Hullmaster 27
Posts: 122
Re: What Do You Think Of This Vega?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
am planning to be off for 6-? months in less than 6 months from now to cruise (not wicked huge on plans).
One thing not mentioned explicitly in the listing that you may want to consider ... in 6 months from now ... will you be happy taking possession, outfitting, and starting cruising a new to you 40 year old boat as Winter approaches the west coast of Scotland?
__________________
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 12:18   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2016
Boat: Nothing yet
Posts: 232
Re: What Do You Think Of This Vega?

Happy might not be the word for it but sometimes a little adversity is worthwhile, don't you think?

I'm sure it's not much worse than doing it on "The Island" ��
__________________
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 12:21   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2016
Boat: Nothing yet
Posts: 232
Re: What Do You Think Of This Vega?

Yeah I saw both of those; won't buy either.
__________________
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 12:43   #6
Registered User
 
Kelkara's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Vancouver Island
Boat: Hullmaster 27
Posts: 122
Re: What Do You Think Of This Vega?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
I'm sure it's not much worse than doing it on "The Island" ��
Touché ... The Scottish winter in good weather is magical, but just make sure you're prepared for the rest of the time ... or make getting south part of your plan.

Whatever boat you get ... keep it fun, and good luck.
__________________
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 13:00   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
Three Sisters's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 305
Re: What Do You Think Of This Vega?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Yeah I saw both of those; won't buy either.
oh
__________________
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 13:17   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2016
Boat: Nothing yet
Posts: 232
Re: What Do You Think Of This Vega?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
Touché ... The Scottish winter in good weather is magical, but just make sure you're prepared for the rest of the time ... or make getting south part of your plan.

Whatever boat you get ... keep it fun, and good luck.
South is definitely in my plans! I'd be prepping to do "the milk run" hence the interest in brand new standing rigging and sails. I guess on the plus side while in Scotland my steaks would remain cool haha.

I've got a drysuit too so that makes a world of difference. I was out canoeing off Read Island a few winters ago to the astonishment of many. No shortage of wind or breaking waves that year lol. Was kind of cool braving those conditions. Lot easier in a sailboat tho.
__________________
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 14:31   #9
Registered User

Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 61
Re: What Do You Think Of This Vega?

Look at it this way. You are Betting 20k on a boat sight unseen. The probability that the seller isn't exagerating is less than 5% which means you have a 95% chance of throwing good money after bad.


You could get lucky. But I would walk or offer the seller a lot less and see if he bites.

The best way to negotiate is to not want what your buying.

Please tell us what happens.

Fair winds
__________________
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 14:36   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2016
Boat: Nothing yet
Posts: 232
Re: What Do You Think Of This Vega?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish_ct View Post
Look at it this way. You are Betting 20k on a boat sight unseen. The probability that the seller isn't exagerating is less than 5% which means you have a 95% chance of throwing good money after bad.


You could get lucky. But I would walk or offer the seller a lot less and see if he bites.

The best way to negotiate is to not want what your buying.

Please tell us what happens.

Fair winds
Yes, you are absolutely right. Thank you for that much needed dose of reality
__________________
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 15:02   #11
Registered User

Join Date: May 2016
Location: The Med
Boat: Catalina 36 MKI
Posts: 48
Re: What Do You Think Of This Vega?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
I can't get this damn boat out of my head.

1973 Albin Vega Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I'm set on a Vega and in one way or another am planning to be off for 6-? months in less than 6 months from now to cruise (not wicked huge on plans). Problem is: there isn't much chance that I'd be able to go see it prior to purchase. I can't glean much from the pictures but it looks as though the current owner has mostly used it as a liveaboard (TWO pictures of a TV!? C'mon!)

It seems like a decent deal. about $14500 CAD or $18500 with an inspection, haulout and annual storage on the hard. Probably a bit more to get someone to move it to the travel lift etc.

I'd say a similar boat would cost about the same off the West Coast of Canada but that's not quite true. The exterior paint on this boat is precisely what I want so that would save me a hassle and ensure I like looking at my new home right from the start.

Obviously this thing'd need some new sails right quick and solar panels/wind gen or something of the sort...well, not NEED but those'd be a good idea. The sails for sure and probably a windvane self steering system pretty quick. Still not sure how many through-hulls Vegas have but I'd replace the below waterline ones before taking off for sure.

I dunno, I'm apprehensive, what do you think? I know it's foolish to buy sight-unseen but damn, it's foolish to have time off and no boat too and the Vegas I've seen out West (and East for that matter) in the Americas have not impressed me all that much.

Oh yeah and no word on the year or condition of standing rigging other than the meaningless "it's in good condition" as if a seller would say otherwise. So that'd have to get taken care of also. Anyone even know where to get new Vega "chainplates"? I hear of people replacing the wire and fittings but rarely are the chainplates mentioned. Considering how easily it could be done compared to most boats I figure why not do it? Doesn't make sense to me to attach new wire to old plates.

Also, the 240 Volt electrical system is a concern, but maybe it shouldn't be? I mean if you are cruising chances are excellent wherever you are will have different standards, right? I don't plan to spend much time in marinas anyway.
Why don't you go to the YBW forum and ask people if they know this specific boat, or are willing to have a look while having a Skype video call with you?
BTW a HUGE chunk of the world is using 220/240V.
__________________
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 15:13   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 18,480
Re: What Do You Think Of This Vega?

I STRONGLY suggest you not buy a boat without inspecting it. It is very rare for the reality to match what is said in an ad.
One option is to pay a surveyor to go do the in the water inspection and report back. Then you can go further if you want.
I think the Vegas are cool boats, but they are a bit narrow old school, so feel much smaller than their length suggests if you have looked at beamier boats of that size.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 16:40   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2016
Boat: Nothing yet
Posts: 232
Re: What Do You Think Of This Vega?

You are right. I will hold off unless I can get the time off.

I know the boat is small. It's a sacrifice I will have to make for seaworthiness. I've considered other boats, this one is as close to perfect as I'm willing to pay for. Unless someone wanys to unload a Vancouver 27 for a third of normal market value lol. Anybody? Didn't think so.
__________________
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 08:08   #14
Registered User
 
powsmias's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Jersey
Boat: Pearson 35 #285
Posts: 259
Re: What Do You Think Of This Vega?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
I can't get this damn boat out of my head.

1973 Albin Vega Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I'm set on a Vega and in one way or another am planning to be off for 6-? months in less than 6 months from now to cruise (not wicked huge on plans). Problem is: there isn't much chance that I'd be able to go see it prior to purchase. I can't glean much from the pictures but it looks as though the current owner has mostly used it as a liveaboard (TWO pictures of a TV!? C'mon!)

It seems like a decent deal. about $14500 CAD or $18500 with an inspection, haulout and annual storage on the hard. Probably a bit more to get someone to move it to the travel lift etc.

I'd say a similar boat would cost about the same off the West Coast of Canada but that's not quite true. The exterior paint on this boat is precisely what I want so that would save me a hassle and ensure I like looking at my new home right from the start.

Obviously this thing'd need some new sails right quick and solar panels/wind gen or something of the sort...well, not NEED but those'd be a good idea. The sails for sure and probably a windvane self steering system pretty quick. Still not sure how many through-hulls Vegas have but I'd replace the below waterline ones before taking off for sure.

I dunno, I'm apprehensive, what do you think? I know it's foolish to buy sight-unseen but damn, it's foolish to have time off and no boat too and the Vegas I've seen out West (and East for that matter) in the Americas have not impressed me all that much.

Oh yeah and no word on the year or condition of standing rigging other than the meaningless "it's in good condition" as if a seller would say otherwise. So that'd have to get taken care of also. Anyone even know where to get new Vega "chainplates"? I hear of people replacing the wire and fittings but rarely are the chainplates mentioned. Considering how easily it could be done compared to most boats I figure why not do it? Doesn't make sense to me to attach new wire to old plates.

Also, the 240 Volt electrical system is a concern, but maybe it shouldn't be? I mean if you are cruising chances are excellent wherever you are will have different standards, right? I don't plan to spend much time in marinas anyway.
sounds like you missed out on this one last month.. Beautiful Albin Vega 27' sailboat | eBay
__________________
www.eddiethelock.com
powsmias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 09:21   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sacramento, CA
Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!
Posts: 39
Re: What Do You Think Of This Vega?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Yeah I saw both of those; won't buy either.
I am curious to why you would not consider either of these boats? The reason I ask is I am trying to learn from others to what to look for when purchasing a boat.

I think that I would pass on the boat in Cali only because it does not have an inboard. The cost to buy and install a new diesel, with tranny and prop would probably add another $10k-$15k to the cost.

Thanks,
Kevin
__________________

__________________
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vega Owners: how well do you heave to? KetoNomad Monohull Sailboats 6 10-04-2017 17:24
So you think you can dock a boat! Tellie Seamanship & Boat Handling 1 08-12-2015 20:32
Albin Vega '71: Would you or not? johnhharty Construction, Maintenance & Refit 19 11-05-2015 10:27
Just When You Think You're Safe . . . CRASH ! Mr B Seamanship & Boat Handling 178 29-07-2013 08:32


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:02.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.