Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 13:49   #1

What can I expect from an Irwin 34?

The big D is getting closer and I have been looking at boats. One that has caught my eye is a ealry to mid 80's Irwin 34.
What can I expect from this vessel as for any problems? Are some of those problems on most of these boats or are they only on a few of them? How far offshore would YOU be willing to travel in this boat?
My plan would be to live aboard and do some coastal cruising for the first year, and then down to the Bahamas. IF I get antsy enough, I probably would head even farther if things go the way I hope they will.

FYI, this would not be my 1st sailboat, but would be my largest.

Any thoughts on an Irwin 34?
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 13:58   #2

Boat: 34 Irwin
Own one 1980 citation .. Love her ... Shoal keel . Check bulkheads for rot due to water entering thru chain plates. Send more info
Samantha ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 14:08   #3

Boat: 34 Irwin
Also check for ports leaking . Lots if room to work in engine room. Early Irwins are better then later. Heard that mid to late 80's are built lighter. Thinner . Just in front of my keel I had to countersink depth and speed transducers glass was too thick ! Almost 3 1/2 inches. Photos are when I was painting decks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1422555079.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	67234   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1299315380.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	67235  

Samantha ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 15:19   #4

Re: What can I expect from an Irwin 34?

Somebody got that boat today....wasn't me. I thought the price was good so I can see why it went so fast.
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 15:56   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
The big D is getting closer and I have been looking at boats. One that has caught my eye is a ealry to mid 80's Irwin 34.
What can I expect from this vessel as for any problems? Are some of those problems on most of these boats or are they only on a few of them? How far offshore would YOU be willing to travel in this boat?
My plan would be to live aboard and do some coastal cruising for the first year, and then down to the Bahamas. IF I get antsy enough, I probably would head even farther if things go the way I hope they will.

The saying around here is that "Irwin built boats to go fast, but not to last ..."

I would be careful. They are especially notorious for toerail leaks, which can be extremely hard to fix, and do a lot of damage if they're not fixed.

My first boat was an Irwin. The deck separated from the hull (now, that's what you call a leak) and she essentially had to be put down.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 15:57   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post

Also, does it have a centerboard? If so, have that mechanism carefully checked.
Old 21-09-2013, 23:30   #7

Boat: Irwin. 28 ft
Send a message via AIM to pdjb

I have a Irwin 28...Cleaned it out-torn the engine out and gas tank...made storage area out of it...cut all the wires and rewired for my like and painted it down and up..love the boat..but I redit it for me....not nobody else....your call ?
pdjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 14:23   #8

Ive had a 1978 and latter a with no centerboard check for soft decks ,leaky port and plexi windows .a nice handling coastal sloop .not for ocean crossing ventures ,put on top of freighter for that!
walkmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 15:10   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkmart View Post
Ive had a 1978 and latter a with no centerboard check for soft decks ,leaky port and plexi windows .a nice handling coastal sloop .not for ocean crossing ventures ,put on top of freighter for that!
yeah it's not an ocean-going boat, but it's probably REAL fast, so if she isn't, I would check the rigging tuning.

She won't point up for ship without that centerboard. My first boat was an Irwin with no usable centerboard. But she was a hoot to sail.
Old 22-09-2013, 20:39   #10

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Leaking ports / windows, rotted wood, structural cracks if soneone hasnt fixed the ports as soon as they started to leak. Get a good surveyor ileven if the boat is cheap.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 21:19   #11

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

There's a guy with a thread on doing a thorough restoration on an Irwin 34 over at anything-sailing.com.

You may find it of interest if you are pursuing that particular brand.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Irwin