Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2014, 05:13   #1

Boat: C. E. Ryder, Southern Cross 28
Westsail 28 on ebay

Hey guys,

so i've been dreaming of owning a westsail, tayana, or even a little nor'sea that is capable of doing some serious crossings. I'm a dreamer as most sailors and men with a hobby are but in the midst of my sleep returning from an overnight shift i got a pop up alert from my ebay app stating "a new item you are looking for has sprung up for sale". A westsail 28. Out of curiosity I take a peek and see a nice mini westsail, with no teak decks, windvane, turtle dodger, solar panels, and a pretty nice set of sails. I look and read the specs find it interestingly promising and then see the price set in the 30’s. I look again and see the make an offer option and half asleep I make an offer that turns out to be accepted.

Now I like this boat, it is in florida and want to go through with the auction after having read more about this boat and thoroughly reviewing the pictures. I want to florida asap and take a peek make sure that what I saw is what I am buying and not a disappointing add.

Now doing research all last night for any typical sailor blog type of thing, I find this summary about the boat and wanted to know what you think of buying something that from what I see has been fully and properly repaired….My fear is that could a hull with that many repaired blisters still be safe and structurally sound? Read below.

We arrived to find a 1977 28' Westsail sitting at her backyard dock. It had been her Father's and had been neglected for over 10 years.

She had been flooded in 2004 to keep the boat safer at the dock during the 5 hurricanes that year we all endured here and it had not been drained since then. Mind you, this is 2006 now! Two years of the inside with water high enough to be even with the oil filter on the motor we had such high hopes for before we saw this mess. Let's not even speak of the damage to the floors, cabinets,and well.....you can imagine....maybe......it was REALLY worse than you can imagine! So Capatin John did not see any signs of oil in the water and with concern, asked how much she wanted for it. She replied with, "Would you like to just buy the Sailboat? I would like to get it out of here."~"How much do you want for her?" the Captain asked. She replied, "$100.00?".....I am not sure if either of us remember how we reacted to that, but the boat was ours within moments and now we had to get her to our home marina. Costs us $200.00 to get her registered, so here we start at $300.00 for the Westsail.. !

The day came when the Marina staff strapped her in and up she went, gracefully emerging from the water for the first time in at least 10 years.
We expected the 3 inches of sea life on the hull, so as they scraped the hull free of most of that we felt pretty good.about what we were seeing at that moment. Once the Sailboat was in the yard and began to dry a bit we were able to see more and more little blisters showing up, but they looked small so after a few weeks of drying out Captain John began to grind and grind and get shot in the eyes by the glycol escaping under the pressure; what a mess! We suppose there were at least 2500 blisters by the time Captain finish the entire hull. They would look like a small pocket that you wanted to just stick a pin in it and let it drain,but as he ground them out they grew to what made me think of caverns , some 12-18 inches in diameter. Some so deep you could stand inside the boat and look in the cabinets and see daylight through 70% of the holes left to refill with fiberglass and resin! This job was beyond stripping the hull and relaying fiberglass. The pits were so deep they must be done one by one. Layering the fiberglass clothe and resin for THREE FULL YEARS before we completed that job!So, if you want it done right, what? Do it yourself! We DID IT....it was hard to believe the day we filled in the last divot. Whew! Glad that was over! Now it was ready for putty and sanding smooth; 4 coats of epoxy sealer and 3 coats of bottom paint.”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	87447   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	87448  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	87449   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	87450  

Old 31-08-2014, 06:08   #2

Boat: Orca 38
Re: Westsail 28 on ebay

Wow! What a job to have to tackle......
What's the interior look like?

Congratulations on having the tenacity to take that task on, and completing it.
Old 31-08-2014, 06:23   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

@Strait Shooter - This is a boat OP found, bid for and won on eBay. Current owner apparently fixed all the blisters.

As for me? I would pass.

I've seen a $30k W32s ready to go. i would not trust amateurs to have properly fixed over 1500 giant blisters.

I haven't given it "tons" of thought but 1500 individual patch repairs is not how I would have envisioned fixing this. I would have peeled back and relayered continuous mat to ensure completely bonded and integral fiberglass.

But maybe 1500 patches is the way to go. I honestly don't know and I really don't want to be thinking about it someday in a F8 sea.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 06:30   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The way I read Subway Sailors post is that he is thinking of buying it

Might be worth having a search on here about Wetsail 28s, which I don't think were complimentary.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 06:56   #5

Westsail 28 on ebay

What about for $20k? All has been fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-08-2014, 07:05   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway Sailor View Post
What about for $20k? All has been fixed

Remember the old joke, "Now we know what kind of girl you are we are just negotiating a price..."

For many people this is not a pass. For me it's a pass. It's personal and nothing against the folks who fixed it, the boat itself or anyone who wants to buy it.

I will relate a story. A friend bought a set of Callaway Great Big Bertha woods in Taiwan on a business trip for $150. Any time I played him all I had to ask was, "Say Skip. Do those fake Callaways hit as straight as the real ones?"

if I was coastal sailing and got a huge deal, sure I might buy it. But if I was coastal sailing I wouldn't buy a Westsail. I'd buy something faster. But if I was sitting 3,000 miles off shore in a storm I'd sure like a "real" Westsail or equivalent under my butt. Not one I had any questions about.

I really hope Minaret chimes in here. Honestly I am very handy but I really don't know if that's a good repair. I do know that if I had blisters that bad, I would not fix them myself with 1500 patches.

Anyway - I have expressed an opinion. One of many and I'll shut up now...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 07:15   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

I do not buy the idea of layering new glass over old. There is no chemical bond there. The repair may pop.

Any interior pictures? Water tends to damage wood beyond repair. You may have to replace everything.

What is her engine like?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 07:22   #8

See the 3 followings links for pictures....there are a lot of sub links etc.....

http://seaknots.ning.com/profile/ladyorca

http://seaknots.ning.com/profile/Capt_John_28

http://s170.photobucket.com/user/nep...92914211683648

Ebay description was

Cutter rigged full keel blue-water sailboat located in Merritt Island, Florida. This vessel has a 24hp Volvo MD-11c engine that is very dependable and great on fuel. Due to this engine it is registered as an antique for $6-8.00 a year registration fee.The boat is set up for single handed sailing with new standing/running rigging, 3-sails, roller furled, Nor Vane wind vane auto pilot (new), compass, 2-VHF Standard Horizon radios 1 with plotter and black box depth - temp - fish finder and an additional Standard Horizon chart plotter mounted on the hard top for quick reference. There is also a back up Nav. Comm. depth and speed mounted in the cockpit, 3-anchors, fiberglass cockpit hard top (new), 2-60w solar panels, 2-20lb propane tanks, practically new aluminum 50 - 55 gal fuel tank, 2 new wet cell batteries, 40 gal fresh water bladder tank (new), water pump (new), macerator pump (new), 20-gal holding tank (new), new toilet, 2 - burner propane stove with broiler, a microwave, AM/FM radio and CD player, 2-Off Shore inflatable and 2-Off Shore orange life preservers. I installed a new bowsprit about 2 months ago and have had the bright work varnished over the last couple of months. I also installed a new big screen TV and a new Blue Ray disc player and many more custom features such as a built in tool box with tools mounted in the engine room.

The sale of this vessel will be as is and in accordance to the above descriptions. A $500.00 deposit to my PayPal is required and the balance due in accordance to eBay requirements.

Old 31-08-2014, 07:23   #9

Of course after waking up i did research and found all this info out!!

Old 31-08-2014, 07:41   #10

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

That hull is extremely thick everywhere, so I wouldn't worry about the hull that much. Looks like they rewired and rebuilt most of the interior, but it also looks like the interior should have been completely gutted back to glass and redone. If you look closely at the galley rebuild photo, the lower area still has mold/rot on it and they built new cabinets on top of this.

Still looks like a nice boat for $20,000

Matt
Old 31-08-2014, 19:26   #11
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

overlaying glass over the original hull is ill advised there is nothing wrong with what they did only problem with that is more blisters will show up.
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 20:49   #12

Anyone think i should bargain some? Whats fair

Old 31-08-2014, 20:59   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Anyone think i should bargain some? Whats fair

what are asking what do you want to pay?
Old 31-08-2014, 20:59   #14

Westsail 28 on ebay

I won the eBay auction at 20 grand. After I won the auction I did some research to see if I can find anything and that's when I found all the history of the boat online through various websites including the links above

Old 31-08-2014, 21:14   #15
cruiser

Quote:
I won the eBay auction at 20 grand. After I won the auction I did some research to see if I can find anything and that's when I found all the history of the boat online through various websites including the links above

Sounds like you paid 20k then I don't see a loss only if the description is not correct and if they are hiding any problems get a survey before you hand the cash if it checks out be happy you got a deal.

Tags
sail