Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2012, 20:25   #1

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Westerly Centaur 26

My friend and I are driving over to Kona this week to look at the subject boat.

Are there owners or former owners that can point to things we ought to check on that might be specific to this particular production?

From what I read they are sturdy craft and more like a pocket cruiser.

kind regards,
Old 16-07-2012, 07:34   #2

Boat: Bristol 29
Re: Westerly Centaur 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
My friend and I are driving over to Kona this week to look at the subject boat.

Are there owners or former owners that can point to things we ought to check on that might be specific to this particular production?

From what I read they are sturdy craft and more like a pocket cruiser.

kind regards,
I have worked on a friend's Centaur. A couple of areas to check out:

1. Check the condition and torque of the keel bolts. they are easy to see and get at. The iron keels should be checked as well for deterioration.
2. Leaks from ports and any rot to interior shelves from these leaks. New ports are available from Westerly.
3. Intermediate shrouds: the chainplates for these attach to the cabin trunk. The fiberglass is not reinforced in this area and there may be stress cracking of the glass.

They are great boats--huge for their waterline length and very nice sailing boats.

Good luck!
Old 16-07-2012, 08:00   #3

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I owned a Centaur for about 7 years and still feel it's a very good choice for a pocket cruiser in that size range. Not many heavier pocket cruisers have standing headroom the way the Centaur does.

It came in three versions. I personally am not as fond as version A - which had two quarter births, because that came at the expense of having almost no cockpit locker space.

The standing headroom comes at the expense of shallow bilges. The keel bolts rusting is one common problem so check the bolts as well as the deck to keel joints. Another common problem with the earlier versions is that one of the side stays attached to the cabin top above the windows, causing them to leak. The short space in the v-birth also meant having the chain locker far forward, which caused the chain to pile up and and not fall simply through the pipe.

Some came with a furling boom, which I found to be a real PITA, but was easy enough to convert to standard slab reefing.

It doesn't point well, but I didn't feel it was any worse than most full keel heavy displacement pocket cruisers.

Overall, for the cost, I think it's a good boat that took me on several Bahamas trips and handled 9-foot seas fairly well.

As with any old boat who know what crazy jury-rig solutions previous owners may have done.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 10:22   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
The keel bolts rusting is one common problem so check the bolts as well as the deck to keel joints.
A couple over here have lost there keels - but to be fair, the boats did dry out twice a day over many years and in places that were fairly exposed.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...sterly+centaur

Plenty of knowledge about Centaurs on the internet (obviously most of them in the UK).

Quote:
Another common problem with the earlier versions is that one of the side stays attached to the cabin top above the windows, causing them to leak
That is also my understanding, but fixed by Westerly in later models (can't remember how - possibly by simply moving the shroud, or the window).

And what will be self evident if the boat still has the original headlinings (surely not by now?!) - is "Westerly Droop" - the foam backed vinyl simply falls off the ceiling (common accross all Westerlys from the 70's)....which may explain either why the headlining is not there. or has a DIY look about it!

Good boats, and sail a lot better than they look. and the size inside is about as big as a 26 footer gets and still sails.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 12:18   #5

Thanks for the input. We'll be looking at it Thursday so if there is anything else that you may think about between now and then it would be great to hear about it. I want to be thorough since it's a hundred mile drive one way.
kind regards,
Old 16-07-2012, 12:27   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

A night reading the WOA would be useful. However, they sold 2400 of these yachts which is a huge number for a British builder, so they must have done something right.

Pete

Westerly Owners Association
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 17:46   #7

Does the cabin top and deck have a core?

This is a 1969 version and does have the aft lower shrouds above the ports. That does look a bit like it'd pull the caulking out of the ports. Are they functional shrouds or just for steadying the mast while raising and lowering?

The keel bolts have been replaced with stainless.

kind regards,
Old 17-07-2012, 00:05   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Does the cabin top and deck have a core?

This is a 1969 version and does have the aft lower shrouds above the ports. That does look a bit like it'd pull the caulking out of the ports. Are they functional shrouds or just for steadying the mast while raising and lowering?

The keel bolts have been replaced with stainless.

kind regards,
From memory no Core in hull or deck - am 99% certain that is the case, but......

Given that the cabin sides did crack then my guess is that the shrouds are functional - could be that already fixed (even if current owner unaware), but even if not shouldn't be a great problem to DIY - and am sure the fix is well covered on the Internet. Anyway, by now should be able to easily spot if still a problem!

If the WOA of not much use - very likely to find folks with knowledge of all things Centaur over on the YBW forum.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 01:24   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A Centaur sailed from UK to the Azores a few years back, shows what they are capable of.

Pipedream has arrived in the Azores! - Yachting and Boating World Forums

Pete
Old 03-03-2013, 17:43   #10

Skipper John,

I think the same Centaur you looked at on the Big Isle is for sale at the Ala Wai. I am looking at it tmw. It is at the infamous Dock 800.

TC
tcul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 13:30   #11

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Westerly Centaur 26

I wuz just about to post a question, but thought: No, doggonit!, I'll do a search, and lo, this thread and others. I'm looking at one of these boats tomorrow so I've got about 24 hours to work on me British accent.

Dunno the year but it has the earlier dinette layout and has been all slicked up with new headliner and upholstery. Keel bolts are always suspect but that was a nice tip about the rigging to the cabin top. Me has the moisture meter MaineSail recommends. POs start shaking when I start checking.

And (woo hoo) repowered with a Yanmar 3, and newish sails.

"Care for a bit of tea with yer spotted dick deary?"

"Nah, jes a Bud, thanks."
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 13:57   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
"Care for a bit of tea with yer spotted dick dear?"
Forget the meter, you must check she has a real china tea pot on board because that is the only way to make real tea

Pete