Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2018, 12:07   #1

welding anchor chain

sorry for maybe a stupid queation but... i want to weld a 100 ft bbb 5/16 chain to another 60 ft. the welder says no prob and he will spray a galvanized type paint on it for protextion. he also said it WILL go through my windlass.
Thanks
brookssail
brookssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 13:50   #2

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: welding anchor chain

It can be done , spray paint is not good it will go off you will need to hot deep galvanised.
The real question is do you trust his welding to hold your boat ?does it worth the savings?
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 14:03   #3

Boat: Liberty 458

What weld process and post treatments are you considering?

Any weld you do will introduce embrittlement, loss of heat treated properties and probably result in a heat affected zone that will suffer galvanic corrosion.

There are chain joining links you can buy to avoid welding chain.

A weld and some galv paint by a welder sounds dubious to me.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 14:11   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
What weld process and post treatments are you considering?

Any weld you do will introduce embrittlement, loss of heat treated properties and probably result in a heat affected zone that will suffer galvanic corrosion.

There are chain joining links you can buy to avoid welding chain.

A weld and some galv paint by a welder sounds dubious to me.
A wise position.
Old 15-12-2018, 04:52   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, brooksail.

High Tensile chain (Grade 40, G4, and G43, or Grade 70, G70, and G7) is made from heat treated and high tensile strength carbon-manganese alloy. When a chain needs to be re-galvanized (or welded), the heating of the galvanization can damage the heat treatment of the chain. Grade 40 and 43 chain is more resistant to the process, but Grade 70 is very delicate and can loose its strength by regalvanizing or welding.

Proof Coil & BBB chains are not generally heat treated.

Proof testing your chain, after re-galvanizing or welding might be a good, though perhaps expensive, idea.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 12:40   #6

Welding the chain is a bad idea. I am not a professional welder, but I do a LOT of welding. All kinds of stuff, all the time. But I would NEVER weld my anchor chain.

Get a proper chain link, like leftbrainstuff said.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 12:54   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

What I can't get my arms around...

Will you feel better about 100 feet of chain with rope or 160 feet of chain with EITHER a weld or c-link. Yes, I understand c-links are good, but are they better than 100 feet of chain plus rope? I'm not sure that is true. 100 feet is already a good length. Even in rock country, are you going to have 100 feet of chain actually lying on the bottom? Not very often.

I've used all-chain and I've used 100 feet plus rope. I'd feel better about the good 100 feet and leave it the heck alone.
Old 15-12-2018, 22:24   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

I have been welding my anchor chain for about three decades now and never had a problem.

If you want the chain to pass through your anchor windlass and retain a reasonable percentage of it's original strength welding is the only viable joining technique, any of the chain connectors which retain the form of the original chain links will suffer from a far greater reduction in tensile strength than a welded link.

All the joining links which retain the full tensile strength of the chain tend to be significantly bulkier in form than the original chain links and will have problems passing through the windlass.

Galvanizing rods which allow re-galvanizing of weld heat damaged galvanizing with an oxy torch are available.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 03:00   #9

i appreciate all the responses. lots to think about.
last yr in Bahamas was a VERY windy one Nd i was looking for alternatives. i do believe a weld is viable but the potential loss of sleep is leaning for me to get a 160 piece of chain. thanks again to all reponses
brookssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 03:41   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
What I can't get my arms around...

Will you feel better about 100 feet of chain with rope or 160 feet of chain with EITHER a weld or c-link. Yes, I understand c-links are good, but are they better than 100 feet of chain plus rope? I'm not sure that is true. 100 feet is already a good length. Even in rock country, are you going to have 100 feet of chain actually lying on the bottom? Not very often.

I've used all-chain and I've used 100 feet plus rope. I'd feel better about the good 100 feet and leave it the heck alone.
I agree. I cruised for many years on a combined chain/rope rode with just under 100' of chain (including the Bahamas where the OP is cruising). Shoal draft catamaran so rarely did I ever even use all the chain.

I only went to more chain when I upgraded windlasses a few years back. I then went with more chain, but used G4 to reduce weight. Now run about 150' of G4 backed by about 100' of 3-strand. Only infrequently do I get into the 3-strand. When I do then I put a dyneema jumper across the rope-chain splice just for peace of mind. Never do I end up with rope anywhere near the bottom and thus abraision risk. I end for end the 3-strand about every other season and make up a fresh splice.

I would lose more sleep over a weld/link than I would having only 100' of chain.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 03:55   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Welding the chain is a bad idea ... I would NEVER weld my anchor chain.
I wonder why not. After all, that’s how the original manufacturer assembled it.
Note that the title of the N.A. specification is “WELDED STEEL CHAIN SPECIFICATIONS” (emphasis mine)
https://www.nacm.info/specifications...pecifications/

Old 16-12-2018, 04:40   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry.
Upon reflection, three reasons why I wouldn't weld my anchor chain occur to me:
1. I'm not a skilled welder.
2. I'm unable to properly form/bend the wire into a (joining) link.
3. I don't have access to the proper steel wire.

These three limitations may apply to some/many others of us.

Old 16-12-2018, 05:51   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
welding anchor chain

I assume by welding the chain, we are really talking about welding a purchased link so it can’t come apart, not actually welding the links together, or making our own link?
If so, I see no reason why not, I was years ago an oilfield welder, which means of course stick welding, although I can tig as well. I would have no problem with welding a purchased link closed myself, and I’d use 7018 rod, but that is my go to rod anyway.
I’ve not done much welding in the last 20 hrs or so though, but doubt it’s changed much
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 06:55   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
... When I do then I put a dyneema jumper across the rope-chain splice just for peace of mind. ...

Could you explain this? Jumper from where to where, secured how?

If you are worried about the splice failing, I can't remember ever hearing of any 3-strand splice failing; they are too simple. The main concern, by far, is chafe at the bow.
Old 16-12-2018, 13:59   #15

Boat: Island Packet 349

How about this set-up then: anchor, 100 feet of chain, 50 feet of a 3-strand rope, 60 feet of chain, and a 3-strand rope tail of desired length? In most FL/Bahamas anchoring situations only the first 100 foot segment of chain and a snubber length of the first rope will be deployed. The rest goes out only in deep or stormy cases.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor