Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2017, 13:26   #16
SFS

Re: Victoria 18 and St Pete info

Sent you a PM with a solution to your problem.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 15:07   #17

All great info from SBO as usual! I have had offers from deliver captain, and I do for a moving company. The delivery captain is more money than this mere mortal can cough up but certainly reasonable for a big boat. I need to call for a quote from moving guy but probable too much money as well? It does widen the options though! Thanks I have an appointment to take my first look over the boat at 0800.
Sailormanbigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 07:39   #18

Update: drive to the new old boat Saturday with both my adult sons in for the adventure. Loose survey shows boat in good shape except for barnacles thick on bottom. Attached 30# thrust following motor in and blocked up Bart and off we went. Trolling motor didn't give much speed. Didn't respond to rudder, so bad to steer with motor.. Not sure if boat speed too slow or because of fouled bottom? Sailed out maybe 1000 yards and ran aground on purpose to scrape hull. Man those guys were stuck on there good! Ended up only removing approx 30% from hull sides and rudder. Took our time for about an hour. Sailed back, forgot which inlet we come out of but made it back ok. Plans are for my two boys to trailer down and pull boat home.
Boat is a little gem. Very fully to walk on, think john boat like, sails easy to handle, think dinghy like, small cave like cabin for mostly storage, yacht like presence and a ton of fun! Came with beautiful gennaker, decent main, 80%,100%,120% jibs ! For under $400. Will post picks when out of the water thanks.
Old 24-05-2017, 13:59   #19

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Glad to hear you're making progress. I was concerned about the time to clean up the hull, if you will be towing the boat home, I would encourage you to get the bottom scraped clean. The trip will be so much easier if your not towing a reef!

Paul
Old 28-05-2017, 04:27   #20

Update: my two boys drove down in two cars to st Pete municipal marina, dropped of truck and trailer, drove other vehicle to boat, loaded the 8up outboard on the mount, mottled to the marina, pulled the boat home! They were raised as sailor boys as I always had a sailboat, but I always did the work of towing and launching, etc. They did well and all is fine. Now we need to prep the hull for bottom paint and clean. I would like to find a marina to keep it this summer to make sailling easier. Anyone know a place from Dunedin North to port richey to rock the little 18??
Old 28-05-2017, 18:42   #21

Boat: Scout 30

The Port of Hudson at Hudson Beach has slips available. You won't find better Gulf access & with a 2' draft you'll be fine there.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 06:21   #22

Thanks for the suggestion of Port Hudson. I am familiar with the port and it's accesses. Not too find of the narrow and long main/only channel. I would prefer something more south in the gulf harbor area?
Old 30-05-2017, 07:17   #23

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormanbigd View Post
Thanks for the suggestion of Port Hudson. I am familiar with the port and it's accesses. Not too find of the narrow and long main/only channel. I would prefer something more south in the gulf harbor area?
With your draft I wouldn't bother with the channel except at dead low tide. We regularly shoot the flats in our Scout which draws 28". There's also the Sea Ranch Marina which might have an opening & should be quite reasonable. Another though is high & dry if your mast is easy to step.

sea ranch marina
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote