Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2014, 14:46   #76

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Vessels to consider for circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Ditto. I was drawn to lots of teak. Feels cozy and smart. Like a good old English library room. As opposed to impersonal whitish or IKEA-like interiors of most current boats. And the woes of interior teak upkeep are greatly exagerated. I still don't understand how cold plastic/IKEA look is somehow better than warm teak.
I totally agree. Joli Elle is 40 years old. Her teak is in need of a 220 sanding and a recoat but thats it. My exterior is minimal teak...a toe rail, cockpit seats and cockpit sole.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 09:51   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Teak on the inside is just a matter of taste. I have sailed many a Bendy and Catalina with plastic insides. I just like the teak. My boat feels big to me and people I entertain. Now teak on the outside is a different story- the less the better out there.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 04:50   #78

Teak will never go out of "style" as it not only looks good but has natural oils that make it a very durable product for sailboats. Unfortunately it is very expensive and therefore it can't be used in the lower cost production boats these days other than in the thinnest of veneers. The other natural woods such as cherry or mahogany etc. are nice looking but need to be kept varnished or they will rot very easily. We are in the housing business so we have a very good idea of trends and the darker woods are always in style as are the white finishes, it just varies from year to year. We all know that the color changes are a decision made somewhere in France or New York and the rest of us follow like lemmings so don't take it too serious, find something you like. We are partial to lighter colors but our boat is on the darker side, LOL.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 12:34   #79

I have a Fast Passage for sale . On the boats for sale page 110$ thousand ....daveclancy@shaw.ca

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Frisco
Frisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 14:18   #80

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem

This Cape Horn vet has already been refitted :New standing rigging stay locked and swaged by Sailing Services (Miami) plus all new New England running rigging, two new freezer/refrigerators (Dometic-individual in unit temp controls), newly rebuilt Hurth 250 transmission, all new 1500 gal/hr. (Bilge) and 1650/hr (engine rom) bilge pumps, new certified plantation grown (in Guatemala) teak solid tongue and groove sole, Pur 80 water maker, 7Kw Westerbieke Genset (very low hrs), 4800 hr Perkins 4-154 (good for another 4800, all compressions match), two year old Airex (self-regulating) wind generator, new 145w solar panel mounted on massively strong dingy davit, deck box. dive platform, dive compressor w 220v plug in cockpit locker, custom bimini w/ zip in/out mosquito netting, windlass w/ two anchors on custom heavy duty bow roller, 8 person Switlik life raft (needs re-certified) Icom 710 SSB, AIS radio, Furuno 36 mile radar,rail propane Bar-B-Que. A "no-squak" boat ready to go. Price is 80k in Guatemala, a bit more in U.S.

I have stage IV Cancer that it looks like I am beating but have decided to "swallow the hook" at age 63. Feb 1st I am going to Rio Dulce to make sure the vessel is seaworthy for an April delivery to Pascagoula, Ms. where I will keep it in the water till I sell it or just enjoy sailing around Pensacola/Mobile. I can be reached at http://sageofsalem@sbcglobal.net[/URL]. 219-218-4022

The boat is easily single-handed even in weather: all lines lead to the cockpit and a Dutchman reefing system with two over strength monofilament lines from the boom up through the sail enable you to reef the main ( on"Batcars)in a gale going downwind without changing course!

Hull at water line is a solid 1 inch thick fiberglass resin. Hydraulic steering-Raymarine 7000 AP, Maxi-prop. You don't ned much to get up and go. I would even "shake it down" with you and help you transit the canal, if you so wish, as I am and have been retired almost a decade. This boat has been maintained in a near seaworthy condition by "gringo" technicians on the Rio Dulce and has given me much pleasure and comfort (especially when the seas get up). It rides like a dream and cuts through the waves quite nicely without rocking. Spars are sealed with "Spar Seal" (no leaks). If you sail it, you'll love it and probably buy it.

Bill M.
sageofsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 15:31   #81

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem

CONSIDER A LARGER BOAT!

Just because a boat is bigger does not mean it is more trouble to sail and anchor.

See 'Morgan 462 Cape Horn Vet' in the "Boats Classified" section and you might be interested. It's ready-to-go, at the lower end of your price range, and I'll help you shake it down all the way through "the ditch," if you so wish.

If it was not for the Cancer, there's no way I would let it go.

Do yourself and the future comfort you will enjoy having a comfortable sea kindly
Blue Water Cruiser, that's easy to sail and already re-fitted.

Bill M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0215 copy.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	95234  
sageofsalem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation