Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 08:02   #16

Boat: Lancer 44' motorsailer
Re: Using sails as stabilizers

I have a Lancer 44 motorsailer, an I love love love it for several reasons, some of which you are seeking

- it is very stable, with a 6k lb lead keel 6ft deep, and its unique hull design, it hardly rolls at all, unless it is really choppy when any boat would not resist rolling

- tons of room and comfort. Big window salon, like a trawler-ish, and at 13'9" beam very spacious. I say it feels like it was built from the inside out, as it is just easy to get around in, and super logical and comfortable to be inside, and I'm 6 ft tall.

- I have options: power with twin diesels, sail, or combo with both or single engine. I'm not out to win any cup races, and can flow at 7.5 kts on and on. I have a 120 gal fuel tank, and at 7 kts it's 1gph per engine. And engine rumble is not too overwhelming

- putting out the sails, even just the main, does help stabilize and gain fuel efficiency.

- in the price range you'd mentioned

Good luck!
skwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:44   #17

Yes, sails will reduce roll a lot. Motoring a sailboat with no sails up can be very uncomfortable. At anchor all boats roll, but due to hull form I think sailboats roll more (but slower). There is a solution that I have found to work well. A storm trisail that can be raised almost to the masthead and sheeted as far aft as possible. This means a second track on the mast (not a bad idea anyway) or a gate on the existing track (more work so less likely to be used) so that you dont have to do anything to the main. I had read about this method years ago and tried it when I rowed back to my anchored boat and the rolling was so violent that it would throw a coffee cup off of the table. I dug out the trisail and hoisted it as far as I could and still sheet it flat. Only used one line on the clew and sheeted to the stern rail. I should have used a stern cleat for the sheet. It made an amazing difference in the motion of the boat. It did not completely stop the rolling, but it slowed it down and reduced the angle enough that the boat was comfortable. This was on an open roadstead anchorage in Hawaii and within a half hour of my hoisting the trisail, 4 or 5 other boats did the same thing. I did the same thing once out at sea when becalmed and it worked great and didnt beat up the main or make a lot of noise. Trisails are made small , cut flat, very strong and rarely ever get used, so sun damage isnt an issue. People hoist mizzens or riding sails that go a little way up the back-stay, but I dont think either work as well has a trisail, although both mizzens and riding sails do a good job of keeping the bow into the wind. This is just an idea for you to consider. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:10   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

If reducing the rocking when at anchor is what your're looking for, then there are stabilizers you rig outboard that combat a boat's rolling motion. They're basically a couple of plates on a rope you put over each side hanging from a pole. I've not seen them in person so I have no first hand knowledge of their effectiveness.

For example: Stabilizer

(No connection to this, just what I found with a quick GOOGLE search)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stabilizer.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	122252  
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:29   #19

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Hi Ed,

As you mentioned, you are spoiled by your last boat, so you may need to do that again with your next one.

Motorsailors are not necessarily synonymous with being poor sailors.

Given your posted criteria, if you haven't already, consider exploring a Nauticat 52 designed by Sparkman and Stephens.

We have a 43 designed by S&S and are amazed at how well she sails as well as motors; the livable space; and really like having two steering stations. [cockpit and pilothouse]

Regarding your mention of fuel capacity, I would suggest instead you think in terms of range... e.g., on our 43, our built-in 220 gallon fuel capacity [down from the original 260 gallon due to one tank being replaced by POs] will yield 1200-1500 miles of motoring range- which is very adequate for a boat that can also harness the wind...

Best wishes with your pursuit.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 08-04-2016, 14:30   #20

Boat: Nauticat 32

I didn't completely understand why you want a motorsailer. My best guess is that since you are used to a trawler, you want similar visibility and ability to steer from the inside.

If you want stability, catamarans could provide one kind of stability for you. But also monohulls will be stable in their own way with their keel and sails, if you don't mind the heeling of the boat.

But since you say you want a motorsailer, and I'm a fan of Nauticats, just like wrwakefield seems to be, they could be one line of boats that you might like. They make both traditional motorsailers (e.g. Nauticat 441), and pilothouse yachts (e.g. Nauticat 515). If the key is to have a pilothouse with good visibility, then 515 will offer that, and it is one step faster than traditional motorsailers like 441 (you said you want also speed).

Other brands are ok as well . I just used Nauticats as an example since I know and like them, and since they build both traditional motorsailers and pilothouse yachts for you to compare these two approaches.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 14:50   #21

Boat: Cape Dory 36, Benford 35

Will the sails do the job?[/QUOTE]

My Benford designed 35 ft ketch motorsailer does all what I need her to do. Sails reasonably, is well balanced and averages about 6 knts, often with the 50hp engine ticking over at 1200 rpm.
I have moved from yachts to this configuration because of the added comfort. Nothing beats getting where you want to go, regardless of the weather, while being warm and dry.
have a good look at the sail plan, you would want some power in the sails rather than just stabilizing effect.
latka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 15:10   #22

Other options include the Hans Christian Motorsailor..you don't see many of those but super nice..or maybe the Hardin 44/45
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1981-Hans-Christian-44-Pilothouse_6908_1.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	122267   Click image for larger version

Name:	9335537.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	122268  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags