Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2013, 12:35   #1

Trying to choose the right boat.

I"ve been looking for a solid blue water passage maker no larger then 40'. I was originally looking at 45 CC Hunter but it seems there is a lot of concerns as to its sea worthiness. Now I am looking at the Valiant 40 and boats in this type of proven track records. It will be some time before I do long offshore passages, but I just want to buy the right boat the first time around. Now some of my input has been, don't worry about electronics, they can always be added but to find something that "speaks" to you. My budget at the high end would be 200k. I also have set aside another 50k for whatever needs to be done. Now from what I understand a Valiant 40 in any condition is pushing my budget. I've ruled out Hunter although I do like the center cockpit set up. Some have said buy something that is already doing what you are planning. I just need some input. Thank you for any responses.

Mike
Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 13:09   #2

Re: Trying to choose the right boat.

Under 40' quality center cockpits are harder to come by. Bristol 41.1, 43.3, 45.5, Hylas 44, Brewer 44, Tayana 42CC would all be good blue water choices under $200k.
Enjoy the search!
tookish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 13:18   #3

With your budget, you should be able to find something in between that is great. Did Passport make a 40 ft CC? Hmmm....I dont think so. Halberg Rassy 42 might be nice. Hard to get a CC in 38 ft. Waquiez 43 Amphitrite... getting a litle "long in the tooth"... but great built boats...
Hmmm... thinking.... Waquiez and HR 42 pics below....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 13:54   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
I"ve been looking for a solid blue water passage maker no larger then 40'. I was originally looking at 45 CC Hunter but it seems there is a lot of concerns as to its sea worthiness. Now I am looking at the Valiant 40 and boats in this type of proven track records.

If you are finding special "concerns" about the worthiness of a Hunter 45CC then you are falling prey to "internet experts".

But talk about different boats, Hunter 45CC vs a Valiant 40!!!!

I feel it would be fair to say that if you can not decide between boats of such different thinking that you don't really have any idea of what you want in your boat choice.
Old 15-03-2013, 14:18   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 14:49   #6

I don't mean to insult hunter owners at all, they have the place as I have been on several. They are beautiful inside and probably great for coastal cruising, lakes and dockside condo's but in heavy weather its just a rough ride.
Old 15-03-2013, 14:57   #7
CLOD

You must have been on all of them to know this then!

But if you are mainly interested in buying a strom chaser instead of a cruising boat I hope you have fun.

Why did you mention Hunter and ever have any consideration in them to start with?
Old 15-03-2013, 15:06   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Down boy, op is just tying to wade through all the info out there.
Old 15-03-2013, 15:12   #9
CLOD

Hey I'm down. When push comes I don't really care what kind out boat other people want!

I feel the Valiant 40 is a fine boat for some. Especially for the owners of all the older ones that provide lots of opportunity to learn how to deal with hull blisters.

But like I said if you have considered a Hunter 45CC AND a Valiant 40 you don't really have any idea of what type and features of a boat you want!
Old 15-03-2013, 15:21   #10

I mentioned Hunter because early on it was what I was looking at until I spent sometime on one in rough sea's which was my only point. Its more of this is where I started and this is what I"ve narrowed it down to. Like I said I didn't mean to insult hunter owners at all
Old 15-03-2013, 15:21   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Wow sometimes I just don't understand my fellow cruisers. The OP hasn't made up his mind looking at options why slam him for looking at different type boats???? Come on be kind. I personally have been off shore on a few hunters and well, lets just say I'd take the valiant with blisters and small interior.. But that's me. If you love your hunter that's great but have some respect

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 15:26   #12

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Yes, the hunter style desings will feel different than the heavier valiant. Be sure to peek at the Catalina 42 she looks like a nice cruiser to me. Boat shopping is fun and it is great that you are open to different boats to go cruising on. Dont get pigeoned into a particular mindset of design! Almost any boat of that size can go cruising, it's the way you want to cruise, where you want to cruise that helps makes the decision of a particular design.
Every boat I buy I learn from, so don't be surprised if you buy two or three before being happy but on the flip side my dad bought a Tartan 37 hull #2 in 77. He lived aboard, and sailed RTW, never once wanting another boat.

Hunter are always bring picked on, mainly due to some unfortunate building practices a long long time ago. You stepped on a land mind but don't worry most hunter owners are thick skinned

Also check out Tartans, Pan Oceanics, Pacific Seacrafts.

Happy boat shopping
Erika
Old 15-03-2013, 15:37   #13

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

All boats are a compromise but I think a buyer should consider which attributes he/she feels are most important and narrow the search based on those criteria. Although I don't believe there has been any truly accurate accounting made, I think many claim the Valiant 40 has made more circumnavigations than any other production boat, for what that claim is worth.

We chose our boat based on its seaworthiness and interior layout for our family, trading performance in the process. Some would do just the opposite.

I have personally witnessed extensive damage on a Hunter 44 that could only be attributed to bad decisions during the building of the boat. I would never choose one for blue water cruising although I do know of several knowledgable cruisers who sail their Hunters all over the world.

Good luck, fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 15:45   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I think anyone asking this question will never get a good answer without a lot more info on how and where they will use the boat. There was a post not too long ago where we heard the story of a fella's first "open water passage". it turned out he had just crossed Lake Ontario and thought he had done a blue water crossing.
Old 15-03-2013, 15:54   #15

I am not asking what the perfect boat is because I know it don't it exists, but for my goals which will be passage making. Tartan comes up along with a number of others as were mentioned above. Maybe a better question is if you could have a 40 foot of your choice for passage making what would your choice be? I will be spending next week looking at a lot of boats and will video all of them so I am just trying to get as much info from every source I can. I can always add equipment, like solar, wind and a water-maker if its not already equipped. I really love Steve Dashew designs, but its a little out of my price range...LOL.