Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2012, 10:25   #31

Boat: True North 34'
Re: True North 34

Hey Bazzer.
The new dodger looks sweet! Does it have a full enclosure? Guess you don't need one down in your waters...
When are you heading south for the Haha? I plan to leave Tofino in late September, will probably arrive in SF in early October, with time for a leisurely cruise down to SD.
Good luck with preparations.
Derek
derinque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 13:06   #32

No full enclosure, but it was made to take one if I decide to later.
I expect to leave San Francisco the first or second week of October for the Ha Ha, hopefully we can meet up. I'm just guessing that this would be the first time two True North's would be doing it at the same time
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 08:14   #33

Boat: True North 34

Hi everyone, we bought a TN 34 last spring and have been working on her. She did not come with a holding tank. I was wondering if you could post some pictures of what you have installed. Thanks. Guy
sailguy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 10:03   #34

Hey Sailguy26, welcome to the club. I've just posted some photos in response to your request in the album, here: Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Knapweed's Albums

If you have any queries, just shoot me a question.
Knapweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 21:49   #35

Boat: Sinek, Pilothouse, 43ft

You will love Baja!
SV Maclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 20:18   #36

Hello, I realize this post is old but I have just found it. I purchased a True North several years ago and have been rebuilding her for several years. I have recored the deck, the cabin trunk, replaced the main bulkhead between the engine and cabin. I have repowered and rebuilt the engine beds. I am now in the process of painting. I have never had the chance to sail her yet as we were afraid the rig would not hold up. The old chain plates were not very robust and only held by the very soggy deck. I moved the two rear chain plates to the outside of the hull, the forward chain plates have been attached to new bulkhead. My boat is located in Houston and I can find no other in this area. I know the boat originated from the west coast. Finding someone else with one of these boats would be nice. If you are still out there please chime in.
Rescuesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:50   #37

To the person who wrote about their True North, and is still working on her. Our vessel was built in North Vancouver in 1976. It is a NOON OCEAN 34 .She has given us (as third owners), 18 years of enjoyment. We have sailed her 30,000 NM. Currently we are in Penang, Malaysia LEV is up for sale, as we plan to do other adventures on land. LEV has always been well maintained, and she has been a comfortable, reliable vessel for off shore sailing. She was well built, and we have had no structural problems with her. We do know of another True North that was built in Taiwan and has had similar concerns about deck and cabin structure, and ha had to redo same. Good luck ...
Mikbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 15:39   #38

Hi We have a True North built in Vancouver in 1983 that has not had any structural issues either. We have had her for about 9 years and are no longer going offshore so have her up for sale in Comox, BC (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...an-126710.html). Our holding tank is installed forward of the head, under the V-berth against the bulkhead. Best of luck with your repairs.
m.r.armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 08:59   #39

Good looking boat. I'm sure she will sell soon.

We're still loving our True North 34, currently fitting two new hatches and looking for self-steering. The Airhead has turned out to be pretty amazing over the past 18 months. We'd be very reluctant to go back to a pump out.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:21   #40

I'm excited to find this thread since I'm looking at a True North 34. Your comments have helped me to focus eyes and questions when I get on board. I'll let you know what works out
sail2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:30   #41

Good luck! I'm sure you will love the boat. Be extra careful if the TN 34 has teak decks. I've read about quite a few with soft decks. Probably OK if sailing local but not if you want to go blue water.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:39   #42

Hi Knapweed

Thanks for the encouragement. The owner emailed me today to say that it's already sold! I bet that happens a lot

Sail2
sail2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 07:27   #43

True North 34 Chain Plates

Hello True North 34 owners! We are currently in Duluth, MN fitting out Misty for transition to live aboard full time blue water cruising. Among the projects is locating a few deck leaks, re-bedding fittings and checking the chain plates. Do any of you have original drawings or pictures of how the chain plates were attached to the hull? Misty was built in Taiwan in 1978. What I can see, short of destructive exploration, is what appears to be a flat plate about 8X5 inches embedded in fiberglass in the deck. I'm a bit surprised by this and expected the chain plates to extend down the side of the hull. Any insight into this will be very appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0G5VtHQfYE4HB
SailingMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 00:38   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: true north cutter 34

Hi all, I have a 1983 true north that was built in Vancouver. I'm putting in new stainless steel standing rigging, and was wanting to see what others have for the diameter size of their stays and shrouds. Also want to see if anyone has replaced their chain plates, and if any modifications were made when new ones were put back in. Any input would be great, thanks. My boat is "Invictus", and she's in Bellingham Washington.
justsammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:48   #45

I'm sorely tempted to put chainplates on the outside of the hull and to get rid of one possible source of through-deck leaking. I know the builders were proud of the beauty of the hull, but...

As far as wire size, I'd probably simply go with the existing sizing... or take a quick poll to see if anyone has smaller or larger than my wires.
Hydrophilia is offline   Reply With Quote