Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2014, 10:24   #1
Cej

Transpac 49'

I'm looking for anyone that has specific knowledge of the 1980-81 Transpac 49's. I've done quite a bit of research and they appear to be a good, offshore boat and a nice compromise with moderate displacement and good sailing abilities, but being a Taiwan built boat I'm wondering if anyone knows of any problems with the 1980-81 years? Teak decks may be an issue, but anything else?
Cej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 04:44   #2

Boat: Swan 432
Re: Transpac 49'

Bump.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 15:44   #3
Cej

Bump??
Old 28-04-2014, 15:50   #4

Boat: Gozzard 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cej
Bump??
Bump is polite, it puts your post back to the top giving it a new life...
Captivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 18:11   #5

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I looked at the Transpac 49 before I bought my Tayana. Loved them. I did hear from one owner that at least one had the prop shaft pull out of the hull in hard reverse. Second hand info. May not be worth much. But check the shaft coupling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 18:46   #6

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We came very close to buying one in 1996 but I don't know what year it was. We never got far enough along the buying process to have a survey done and the Internet didn't have the info then that it has today.

I do remember that it was very heavily built (the owner had just had a new transducer installed in the hull and showed me the plug that had come from the hole they drilled - it revealed that the hull was almost 2" thick of solid fiberglass). The boat we were looking at had lots of bright work and teak decks. It also had a Detroit Diesel engine. My guess is that it would take a decent breeze to make it move.

It was too much boat for my family and me so we didn't pursue it. I think we're much happier with what we have, but that's purely subjective on my part.

Good luck, fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 09:46   #7
Cej

Thanks to both of you! I've been looking at one in Seattle, and while I love the look, moderate displacement and heavy build ( don't mind less speed.... easier to hold a wine glass), the amount of money it would take to address the original teak decks, older Perkins, lack of decent electronics, etc., I think it makes more sense to spare my sanity and find a boat that the owner has loved a little more and cares about the price a little less.
Old 29-04-2014, 10:49   #8

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

We owned, lived aboard and cruised a Transpac 49 from 1997 through 2003 and found her to be stable, roomy and relatively easy to handle with the ketch rig. The cons were it was not a fast boat in less than about 12-15 knots. Teak deck was problematic but she was a very heavily built center cockpit with hugh deck space and heaps of room below. Ours had a 55 HP Ford Lehman with good fuel and water capacity. We spent about a year refurbishing the interior, new head liner and upholstery,reconditioned the brightwork below and on deck, cabin sole and the engine area and bilges. When we sold her, the only area where we found a problem was a bit of rot above the main spreaders which we had repaired as a condition of the sale. All in all, we found her to be a great platform to live aboard and cruise, expense was reasonable, probably because we did alot of the work ourselves except hull painting and deck/teak repair which we had done in Ensenada at Baja Naval.
I can recommend these boats to an experienced couple for offshore cruising if you aren't in a hurry as a safe and comfortable ride with sufficient ammenities to keep a family comfortable and not tripping over each other. She has 2 heads with showers, 3 staterooms with a large master aft and great storage. Ours had a top loading fridge and freezer that both functioned well.
PM me with specific questions... cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote