Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2017, 15:06   #16

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004
Re: Towing a large sailboat in the water 100 miles ICW

In my very limited experience of being towed (only a kilometre or so) I would suggest avoiding a rafting up type tow. We were necessarily towed using this method because the tow boat was smaller and we needed to be towed right into a marina and into a jetty. At the start the two boats were in a bit of a seaway and I was quite concerned at the amount of flex I could observe in my cleats that were tied athwartships. They would never have stood the length of journey contemplated as the full weight of both boats worked in opposite directions in a seaway. Use this method only in calm water maybe for the very last stage of getting to a berth. I would imagine if a tow is absolutely necessary over a long distance, adopt the method of commercial tows- use a towline. Get expert advice. My humble opinion concurs with what others have said: Find an alternative method to power your own boat, mounting an outboard seems the simplest solution.
Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 16:14   #17

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Do you need to go through any bridges? If so, that could make towing very difficult. Since you are not a commercial tow, the bridges just won't open when you ask unless they are on-demand.

60 miles isn't that far to drive to work on the boat. I'd say get it to a marina some place close and get the engine working there.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 13:10   #18

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Do you need to go through any bridges? If so, that could make towing very difficult. Since you are not a commercial tow, the bridges just won't open when you ask unless they are on-demand.

60 miles isn't that far to drive to work on the boat. I'd say get it to a marina some place close and get the engine working there.
Yup bridges while towing are not fun. I towed a friend from oriental to wrightsville. I slid into a sandy bowl, the ones grounded barges/tugs thrash out, and the sleeping buddy t- boned us. Then seatow insisted on towing me out forward instead of where we went in and he succeeded in wrecking us. The reason this boat is on the hard now. So after towline he then had to raft up to get us to a Marina. Then another tow abreast from wrightsville to Wilmington for repairs
Live and learn.
Towing with a line absolutely last resort. Seatow boats have special props on those big outboards, tell them to use their propwash to to loosen the sand. And they should not be lazy , but pull you out the way you went in.

If towing expect the best and the worst to happen. But I wouldn't take odds on any bet .....
Old 23-05-2017, 18:36   #19

Boat: Bristol 32

Thanks! some great stories and tips as always.
Captain Parry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 19:13   #20

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I've towed several boats- both sail and power- over 37 feet with my AVON 310 and a 15ph. Once you get the towed boat moving it's easy, even if there is a small sea. I don't even cleat them off, just hold the line in my hand, even over several miles. 60 miles might get tiring.

Unless fighting wind and/or current, there is very little load, even on a 15hp. So I'd not want to tow at 5 knots for six or twelve hours with a 150hp, it would be bad for the motor. That's why fishing boats have kicker motors.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 21:23   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

It is a sailboat. Isn't sailing an option?
If not I'd tow along side in tight quarters and switch to towing ahead in more open waters. A large inflatable would be an ideal tow boat, but it can be done with a hard boat and fenders. Horsepower is nice to have. More is better.
Old 24-05-2017, 03:34   #22

Boat: Bristol 32

Thanks. I have a Zodiac Cadet with a 7.5hp.
Captain Parry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, icw, sail, sailboat, water