Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 02:03   #1

Boat: Soon....
Thoughts on Tayana Yachts

Hi everyone - as I'm currently working in Taiwan, I was wondering if anyone had any input on the locally made Tayanas? There is a 44 ft model Dixon design that may be of interest, but wanted to get general comments from CF before heading down to the southern part of the island. Cheers!!
Steadfast88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:56   #2

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Re: Thoughts on Tayana Yachts

The stainless on ours was of poor quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:07   #3

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast88 View Post
Hi everyone - as I'm currently working in Taiwan, I was wondering if anyone had any input on the locally made Tayanas? There is a 44 ft model Dixon design that may be of interest, but wanted to get general comments from CF before heading down to the southern part of the island. Cheers!!
This must be a new design. If so, I would contract Bob Perry for a fee to give you some knowledgeable input, even though it is not his design, since he knows the industry and that builder well. Not many NAs offer their services that way, but what is $500 compared to price of that yacht. I have looked at many Tayanas over the last 25 years, and have always been impressed. There is a late 90s Tayana 52 next to us in the yard now and there is no sign of stainless issues on that boat.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 15:14   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

You can see from my screen name I have a Tayana 42. It is a 1989 double ender designed by Richard Harris, part of his Vancouver series. Tayana build quality is extremely high. The fact that Ta-Yang Shipyards is still in business is an important plus. I've had several questions about components and suppliers which Wilson Chang answered for me even though I am the third of fourth owner of a boat they only build on request now.

Typical of boats of the age of mine, it has black iron fuel tanks and one developed a leak which we had to address. Also, despite the overall high quality we had a problem with the floor of the chain locker de-laminating. Also, the supplied windlass, a Vitas/Lofrans Tigres mounted in the anchor locker does not have the necessary lead from the bow roller so it has slightly less than 90* of contact on the gypsy. Despite these few issues I can say this is a strongly built boat with top quality components from a yard which has been very responsive and helpful. If I every trade up it will likely be for another Tayana.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:56   #5

Boat: Taswell 43

The tayana is a good boat, but if you are in Tiawan I would strongly suggest you look at the Hylas (Queen Lon Yard) as well. They, too, are still in business. When we looked, a number of years ago, our impressions were that the Hylas although a little more expensive, was a much better value for dollar. We would have bought a Hylas, until we found a used Taswell that fit even better. But ride the trains outh, spend a day or 2 in the yards, see the ongoing construction, talk to the engineers and yard people, and make up your own mind. Since you're already in Tiawan, make the small trip south-it's well worth your time!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 15:34   #6

Thanks to everyone for their inputs. I will definitely check out the yards. Wasn't aware that Hylas were here, so thanks for the lead on that sailcrazy.

Cheers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-05-2015, 16:01   #7

Boat: Taswell 43

Steadfast88-As I remember, the 2 yards are only a couple of miles apart....very close. And I always found Kaoshung (sp?) a very interesting city to visit anyway. enjoy the trip.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 16:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
Steadfast88-As I remember, the 2 yards are only a couple of miles apart....very close. And I always found Kaoshung (sp?) a very interesting city to visit anyway. enjoy the trip.
Thanks - and yes, Kaohsiung is a nice town and with the High Speed Rail, a quick ride away!

Tags
yacht