Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2018, 14:46   #136

Re: The new Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjorgensen View Post
Interestingly, the Amel 55 has disappeared from the Amel web page. I'd bet they'd still build you one if you asked with money in hand, but I find it interesting it's been otherwise discontinued. It makes me wonder if the 50 completely ate the 55's market?
I don't think the 50 took the "market" from the 55, they are aimed at quite somewhat different customers. I do think it is a more profitable boat to build at the price point they have it, and they seem to be selling all they can make.

The rumor mill also says that they are no longer taking orders for the 64, although it still shows on the website.

Less reliable rumors suggest a new model is in the works as well.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 16:03   #137

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

HOLY CRAP!!! That looks expensive! I'll bet this boat would set you back $10 or 20k...
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 17:18   #138

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
I don't think the 50 took the "market" from the 55, they are aimed at quite somewhat different customers. I do think it is a more profitable boat to build at the price point they have it, and they seem to be selling all they can make.

The rumor mill also says that they are no longer taking orders for the 64, although it still shows on the website.

Less reliable rumors suggest a new model is in the works as well.
Just a quick observation: the Amel 50 is indeed 54 feet. Definitely able to take market share from the older design 55... IMO of course.

We suspect a 45 foot range boat may be in their future.

We love our OLDE SM, number 007 out of nearly 500 in the series.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 10:36   #139

Boat: Amel 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden View Post
I watch Riley and Elayna on Sailing La Vagabonde (YouTube). Elayna experiences more seasickness on their Outremer 45 than she ever did (none) on their previous Beneteau 43. Interesting.
A sailboat moves with the ocean, more so than a catamaran.

As pointed out by a previous poster tho, Elayna being pregnant would most likely come into play as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjorgensen
Interestingly, the Amel 55 has disappeared from the Amel web page.
I didn't know that, I haven't visited Amels webpage for a very long time.
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:13   #140

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjorgensen View Post
Interestingly, the Amel 55 has disappeared from the Amel web page. I'd bet they'd still build you one if you asked with money in hand, but I find it interesting it's been otherwise discontinued. It makes me wonder if the 50 completely ate the 55's market?
Here is the Amel 55 replacement...

A new Amel 60 foot yacht at Boot Düsseldorf 2019
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 15:00   #141

Looks like the Amel 50 to me, but that's only from the one picture. Too bad about the 55, I really liked that boat. Call me old school but I liked the skeg hung rudder & ketch rig. Cutter rigs are fine but spade rudders just don't fit my criteria for a go anywhere rugged cruiser. I'll bet the new 60 has the twin spades too. Too bad in my book.
Rumbline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 16:34   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbline View Post
Looks like the Amel 50 to me, but that's only from the one picture. Too bad about the 55, I really liked that boat. Call me old school but I liked the skeg hung rudder & ketch rig. Cutter rigs are fine but spade rudders just don't fit my criteria for a go anywhere rugged cruiser. I'll bet the new 60 has the twin spades too. Too bad in my book.
I suspect that most people who are looking for a boat to sail around the world over 10 years, aren't looking at an upfront investment of $10^6 or more.

People who are hopping from one chic marina on the Riviera to another during "the season" are the new target market for the Amel yard--because they are the ones with the open wallets.

Fortunately, Amel built their former designs so well, there are still a lot of them in excellent condition actually out cruising.

I look at Amel's newer designs, and I do not see boats that will be desirable in 20 years.

Just as a single example, those big, beautifully curved, and sexy dodger windows. Absolutely beautiful. But what is the expected lifespan of plexiglass or lexan, whichever, in the tropical sun before it is too crazed and uv damaged to see through? 10 years? 15 Tops? Then what??? All the old designs had flat windows that could be replaced by anyone skilled in cutting plastic. Just one example of many.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 16:54   #143
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
Here is the Amel 55 replacement...

A new Amel 60 foot yacht at Boot Düsseldorf 2019
Very nice. I've always liked the Amels
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 17:15   #144

Boat: a sailing boat

I have just seen one. Very nice job.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 19:44   #145

Quote:
I suspect that most people who are looking for a boat to sail around the world over 10 years, aren't looking at an upfront investment of $10^6 or more.

People who are hopping from one chic marina on the Riviera to another during "the season" are the new target market for the Amel yard--because they are the ones with the open wallets.

Fortunately, Amel built their former designs so well, there are still a lot of them in excellent condition actually out cruising.

I look at Amel's newer designs, and I do not see boats that will be desirable in 20 years.

Just as a single example, those big, beautifully curved, and sexy dodger windows. Absolutely beautiful. But what is the expected lifespan of plexiglass or lexan, whichever, in the tropical sun before it is too crazed and uv damaged to see through? 10 years? 15 Tops? Then what??? All the old designs had flat windows that could be replaced by anyone skilled in cutting plastic. Just one example of many.
Times are changing... If you like old looking boats, buy an old boat. Amel boats are built the same way but with new design. They are as good and they appeal to current buyers. Do you think Amel could still sell a Super Maramu in today's market? They could barely sell the 55. Not that they are not a great boats. The market is changing. I'm glad that Amel is not a dinosaur. I'm glad Amell is adapting.
Old 09-12-2018, 13:15   #146

Boat: Catalina 25 TR

Quote:

'84 Catalina 25 #4520
S/V Shamrock 5
x_HoldFast_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 13:31   #147

Boat: C&C 27 Mk V

Inside steering is interesting. Wonder if one of the aluminium builders will adopt it.
Drinky Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 11:41   #148

Here is some preliminary information on the new Amel 60.

The new Amel 60

Old 20-01-2019, 17:36   #149

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
Here is some preliminary information on the new Amel 60.

The new Amel 60

Call me crazy, but if you gave me one, I'd sell it to Delos , and buy something prettier...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 18:29   #150

I think the new Amel 60 looks amazing. I can't wait to take delivery of her little sister this year.