Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 11:02   #1

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Amel Euros 41 Project Boat

Hey guys, hope everyone is having fun this season. I have a question about the AMEL Euros 41 I was wondering if any one had expireance with these boats and if they thought that it would be a decent project boat, I may have found one but it is part submerged and I can have it if I pump out the water, advice on what yall think about these boats would be helpful because I know yall will tell the truth. Thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 19:00   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to watson1990
The Amel Euros was known as one of the best,modern day boats ever bulit. Very sturdy and all hand laid glass. They have an aft cabin so I love them anyway,but just a great boat. I am positive that the fact that she is partially submerged is by no fault of her own..perhaps neglect or unprepared but it wasn't something the boat did or didn't do .
If you don't want her please let me know ..If I can get it together I will come down for her

W
watson1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 12:33   #3

Thanks Watson I still trying to find out if the person still has her, she was hit by a tree during gustav that screwed up the rigging and tilted her to starboard where water got in, but thanks for the info.
Old 14-06-2009, 12:44   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Little Otter, whatever happened to the boat we were all helping you pick out a name for? What was that, an Islander? Sorry to learn it didn't work out for you.

The Amel is a good vessel, but 41' is a handful for even two experienced crew. Of course, at, what, 18 now(?), you probably have lots of friends to help you use it. Bigger boats are more expensive to refit, maintain, slip, insure, you-name-it.

Good luck to you, though. I hope this one works out.

TaoJones
Old 14-06-2009, 13:36   #5

Thanks Tao unfortunately I could never find out who owned the other one or exactly where it was so I wasn't able to get it, but this one looks a little more promising as I just need to know if the owner still has it, because some of my friends are going to Mississippi for a car show and four of my other friends said they would help me move it, which could take around 2-3 weeks depending on wind as we would have to sail it using whats left of the mainmast because the tree that fell took out top 10' of main and twisted the mizzen which kept the tree from crashing directly onto the deck but tilted it enough to cause the engineroom to flood and enough water in to cause a 45 degree list, it is all repairable and I know someone here who can get me a good deal on some masts and my cousin is an ex-navy electrician so he can help with rewireing.
Old 14-06-2009, 14:31   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Where is the Amel now, and where do you intend to move it to so that you can effect repairs? What did the intrusion of water into the engine compartment do to the engine?

I don't want to discourage you from doing this, Little Otter, but even if you can put her right to make the voyage you have in mind, and you get her to where you will effect repairs, the cost to fix the problems you've listed on a vessel that size will be, in my opinion, staggering. If you can pull it off, you will have a fine vessel well-worth owning, though, depending on her age.

There are so many vessels available now without any of the problems you've mentioned. Many will be nearer to your location, smaller and more easily sailed with a smaller crew when all your buddies are "busy" just when you need them most, and which won't represent a possible dream-killing burden like the Amel Euros you have your eye on.

Still, I wish you good luck, my friend. One day you will own the vessel of your dreams and be King of the Ocean while all of us old has-beens are idling away the hours in our rockers on the porch of the old folks home!

TaoJones
Old 14-06-2009, 15:01   #7

HA,HA Tao I can't see you siitting in a rocking chair at the oldfolks home, but I want to move it to Charleston, SC but mabye your right but then again i could at least try, but thanks for getting me out of lala land i'll look closer to home for one to.
Old 23-06-2010, 13:36   #8

I would like to ad to this thred that i now own that Boat she is rite and in a slip in LA. I am refinishing the interior now. and will do some paint over the next few weeks it may take a wile as i live in PA but the Boat is very nice. The damage was lite at wost. although the person i got her from cleaned the mud out. and removed all the rigging. The mast needs main mast needs repair and the Mizzen Mast replaced. I have already slept on her. what a peaceful feeling.
illusivereality is offline   Reply With Quote