Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2008, 17:04   #1

Tartan 44

After watching the cruisers come and go each spring for the last 8 years in Palau I am mentally and financially prepared to buy a sail boat. My budget is not excessive and am looking for a seaworthy vessel capable of crossings in the Pacific. I have been looking at a 1975 Tartan 44ft sloop. I have heard these are very good hulls, heavily built and seaworthy. I am mostly concerned at this time with opinions on the hull design and construction...rigging survey and other considerations set aside for now.

Thanks

Brian
palauboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 17:13   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Tartans have a very good reputation. Search around for a Tartan user's forum and you should get an idea of what to expect. I know that the older 34s had problems with the mast step, however it wasn't too difficult to rebuild.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 18:07   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The new ones don't seem to be getting the reviews of the past. I would not buy a new one as it's not the same company. I have two friends with older 37's and they are quite happy with them. A 1975 44 will probably need some refitting, perhaps some electrical issues as well as the standard rigging. Assuming the hull is fine (should be surveyed any way) it's going to be more of a stuff attached problem than anything else. With a boat this large the extras can eat W's of thousands. You need to be ready with a check book to bring something back from that far in the past.

Users groups are flat out the best place to go (assuming you come back here too ). You'll find not only the problems but all the solutions too. The folks that own them know the tricks to making them work right too. They are not shy about sharing the bad and the good both. There are allot of tiny questions you'll need answers for that only an owner can give you.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 18:34   #4

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Looking at a '75 T44 here,

1975 Tartan sloop Boat For Sale

She looks gorgeous, but looks like she takes after my T34 in her huge cockpit. My own opinion is that large 'pits are can't be beat for coastal cruising in fair weather, but might be a tad uncomfortable in heavy seas. Note how far back the wheel is set on the boat above. Even with that tall, hard dodger, you'd get pretty wet.

She almost looks like she should have been a yawl... but then, who am I to second guess S&S. The S&S T37's of that era are some of the most renowned 'budget' cruisers on the planet.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 18:34   #5
jzk

We had a 1973 Tartan 41, and it was a really wonderful boat. It was strong, had nice lines, and sailed like a dream.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 18:39   #6

Paul

Thanks for the reply. The boat is in Calif so a survey is in order especially wrt to the rigging I would assume. I have experienced crew to get her back to Palau (south of Guam) if she is in acceptable conditon. I don't want to spend much of anything in Calif. $$$ before she would come to Palau. We have access to inexpensive refit available in the nearby Philippines...I am in my mid-fiftes now and think of this effort as a floating retirement home to buff out over the years. Assuming the hull is in good shape now do you think it will last another 20 years with proper care??? What I have heard is that it is a very seaworthy and well built design.

Thanks

Brian
Old 19-05-2008, 18:45   #7

T34C
Thanks for the reply, the big cock pit may be wet making a crossing but will be great in the tropics for day cruises etc and for sitting out at anchor in Palau. Same boat as you posted is what I am looking at.
Old 19-05-2008, 20:13   #8

Paul is exactly right.... on every point. Here's a start for owners groups.

Welcome to the Tartan Owners website

tartansailing : Tartan Sailing

--G
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 21:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by palauboy View Post
T34C
Thanks for the reply, the big cock pit may be wet making a crossing but will be great in the tropics for day cruises etc and for sitting out at anchor in Palau. Same boat as you posted is what I am looking at.
I think you've got the right idea. Buy the ship that's optimized for what you're going to be doing 95% of the time. I love my huge cockpit... most of the time.

For your ocean crossing... just get a backup autopilot. Maybe bolt on a windvane (makes a good emergency rudder in any case).

The T44 seems to be pretty rare. From what I gather, it's basically an extended cockpit version of the 41?
Old 19-05-2008, 21:24   #10

As for 'how long will it last?' I've never actually heard of a glass boat that was properly upkept actually falling apart due to age. If you're willing to pay for the upkeep (not cheap), she should basically last forever.

In any case, even if you pay for a full professional refit every 10 years, you're still miles ahead of the folks who buy new.
Old 19-05-2008, 21:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
I think you've got the right idea. Buy the ship that's optimized for what you're going to be doing 95% of the time. I love my huge cockpit... most of the time.

For your ocean crossing... just get a backup autopilot. Maybe bolt on a windvane (makes a good emergency rudder in any case).

The T44 seems to be pretty rare. From what I gather, it's basically an extended cockpit version of the 41?
Looking on the Tartan website they list the Factory Spec as 41/43/44 so maybe you are right that it's a stretch version. The model was built from 1972 to 1976 w/ 84 hulls made. Since we are looking at the same boat any comments on the rigging/running gear???
Old 20-05-2008, 04:42   #12
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
For your ocean crossing... just get a backup autopilot.
One thing I liked about our Tartan 41 was the old Autopilot! It had no display, but rather it had this knob. Instead of hitting a right or left button to steer, you just turned the knob the appropriate number of degrees. It was so much better than any other autopilot I have ever used. No steer to wind or waypoint functions, just compass, but it was reliable. I can't even remember what brand it was. Of course it had little to do with it being a "Tartan," but the comment just brought back great memories of a great autopilot.
Old 20-05-2008, 06:01   #13

well folks all i have heard is good stuff about Tartans now just have to apply for the loan and figure out how to move her from Calif to Palau...after a survey...jzk...sounds like you have a lot of fond memories
Old 20-05-2008, 07:11   #14
jzk

Have you inspected the boat? My observations on the Tartan 41 was that it had a nice looking, but unusual deck in that it doesn't have much of a cabintop. However, there is ample space below, but no "cabins." The only thing our boat didn't have was refrigeration as it was a Lake Michigan boat kept on a mooring. Otherwise it was ready to go around the world, in my opinion. I would have had no hesitation to use it for such, as it really seemed like a strong, solid boat.
Old 20-05-2008, 07:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by palauboy View Post
Since we are looking at the same boat any comments on the rigging/running gear???
I can't really tell much over the internet, but it doesn't look like it's been neglected.

Tartan's of that era don't make such great water-condos (comparatively speaking). They're long and skinny, the cockpit is large, the interior is cabin-less, and the decks are wide and flat. It's a sailor's boat, for sure.

Make sure you take and post pictures! I've never seen a T44 before.