Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 10:57   #16

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Tartan 40, A solid Coastal Cruiser?

I think you're talking about the 41? It was a serious IOR racer. The 40 is definitely more of a cruiser.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:44   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
I think you're talking about the 41? It was a serious IOR racer. The 40 is definitely more of a cruiser.
Perhaps he meant the 41. I was specifically talking about a mid 80's Tartan 40 CB.
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 13:38   #18

Boat: Tartan 40

Did you end up deciding on a boat?

I bought a local T40 this summer to replace our Luders 33 which we were outgrowing. Couldn't be happier with the accomodations or performance. A very well mannered boat. Really like the CB- makes a big difference upwind and easy to deploy, retract.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 13:09   #19

David:

I am also a big fan of the T40. I came quite close to buying hull #72 but missed. It's a CB version. How much performance do you think you lose with the Scheel keel and is it more or less stiff than fin or CB, if you know. I note that there is a Scheel keel version for sale now in Miami.

Thanks!
ob44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 14:39   #20

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob44 View Post
David:

I am also a big fan of the T40. I came quite close to buying hull #72 but missed. It's a CB version. How much performance do you think you lose with the Scheel keel and is it more or less stiff than fin or CB, if you know. I note that there is a Scheel keel version for sale now in Miami.

Thanks!
I haven't sailed the CB version and I haven't sailed next to one to compare performance so I can't help much. I'm sure the fin keel would outperform us and the CB probably would since the CB gives you another option for balancing the rig and taking pressure off the rudder. That said, we tack through 60-70 degrees apparent and can usually get everything set up to have the boat all but sail herself. We had a CB on our prior boat and found it to be more of a PITA than it was worth. However, we don't race -- except any boat in sight -- so may be less concerned with the last bit of performance than some.

If you're looking at T-40's, also keep your eye out for T-412's. There weren't many made, but they are essentially a T-40 with some minor adjustments that look positive such as a wider aft berth.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 15:19   #21

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for a Tartan 412. Don't think I have seen any yet. And if anyone knows of a late '80s T40 CB other than the 5 on Yachtworld, I would love to hear about it.
Old 19-06-2015, 03:19   #22

I looked at the 412 that's for sale in Annapolis. My impressions- better v berth. Worse aft cabin as second head takes up space. Perhaps the aft berth is wider, but some of that is under the cockpit sole which I personally found very cave like. It has a scheel keel. It's been on the market for a while and was reduced quite a bit. Other than minor cosmetics I am not sure why. So probably primed for a good offer.
But I chose to pay a little more for my T40 as i found the 1 head layout and aft cabin to be more to my liking. I also like the CB on my boat which saves a few inches of draft and makes it point like crazy

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-06-2015, 03:55   #23

We have just been on our tartan 41 for a year. The two digit tartans are bullet proof.

I understand, like many manufacturers, the 70's builds were slightly better quality than the 80's builds, though obviously now a decade older.

We are actually selling ours
www.sailingwithkids.net/452-2
Old 19-06-2015, 08:36   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I looked at the 412 that's for sale in Annapolis. My impressions- better v berth. Worse aft cabin as second head takes up space. Perhaps the aft berth is wider, but some of that is under the cockpit sole which I personally found very cave like. It has a scheel keel. It's been on the market for a while and was reduced quite a bit. Other than minor cosmetics I am not sure why. So probably primed for a good offer.
But I chose to pay a little more for my T40 as i found the 1 head layout and aft cabin to be more to my liking. I also like the CB on my boat which saves a few inches of draft and makes it point like crazy

Totally agree about the T40 and the CB. That's why I am on the hunt for a good one!
Old 19-06-2015, 10:03   #25

Did you see me the new one just put on yacht world in solomons md? Looks to be in nice shape. It doesn't show up if you search tartan 40. Search tartan in Maryland and you'll find it. Funky canvas scheme but looks nice esp inside

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-06-2015, 12:32   #26

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:

Interesting to hear about your hands on take on the 412. Were the 412's all two head models? That was an option on the T-40. I saw one with two heads that wasn't on the market. Major waste of space for a boat this size.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 16:54   #27

Boat: O'Day 40

I made 2 round trips to Bermuda in 1988, 1989 (Marion, Newport) on a Tartan 40 centerboard version. Though not a big fan of the centerboard, it makes a bit of noise, it worked out well.
Hit some heavy weather both trips, and was down to a double reefed main on a broad reach.
I would assume, like many boats, if properly equipped it could go just about anywhere.
psiegelnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 20:10   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
Interesting to hear about your hands on take on the 412. Were the 412's all two head models? That was an option on the T-40. I saw one with two heads that wasn't on the market. Major waste of space for a boat this size.
I'm not sure but the 412 brochure shows 2 heads so I assume they all were 2 head versions. I agree- a major waste of space. And who wants to maintain 2 toilets, 2 sets of sanitation hoses, sinks, plumbing, etc- when the head compartments are in use less than 3-5% of the day?

Old 20-06-2015, 09:44   #29

Quote:
Did you see me the new one just put on yacht world in solomons md? Looks to be in nice shape. It doesn't show up if you search tartan 40. Search tartan in Maryland and you'll find it. Funky canvas scheme but looks nice esp inside

Thanks! I will definitely look her up!
Old 20-06-2015, 16:21   #30

Let me know if you end up getting a t40. Every time we sail her, and we've had her 1 year now- we appreciate more things about her design and sailing qualities. A really sweet sailing boat even though motoring here

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1434842483.254959.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	104034

Tags
cruise, cruiser