Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 13:40   #1

Tartan 37 History

Hello Everyone:

We are considering purchasing a Tartan 37 as people can't seem to say enough good thing about them. However, I heard that there have been "good years" and "bad years" in the construction of these boats in the 1975-1990 period. If you know any of this history, I'd be much obliged to sharing it.

Thanks
Tonysig
TonySig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 13:59   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Tartan 37 History

I would suggest joining the Tartan owners group on yahoo.

FWIW the years you mention cover two T-37 models the T-37c aka T-37-2 a S&S design and the T-372 aka T-37-3. The Tartan Blackwatch was the original T-37 aka T-37-1.

WHEW! There is also a tartan 37 forum- google it.

S&S tartans are great boats. There is a reason they go for more than a 90's or 00 "production boat". Common weak point on all the older Tartans is where the chain plate goes through the cored deck. Expect to so some repairs there. Easy DIY project that can be done from inside, if it is not too-too bad. Same with the genoa tracks.

That said if I move up from my T-33 it wi be to a T-37 or 372.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 15:40   #3

Thanks--this helps. I will definitely join the owners group. So, if I read you correctly, you say the "T-37c aka T-37-2 a S&S design" is a great boat, but you would buy one of the other designs, a T 37 or T 372. I'd love to know why, if you are so kind as to share your thoughts.

Tony
Old 12-07-2014, 18:40   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Practical Sailor also did a good write-up about the Tartan 37 design. It should be available from them on-line, or also in their printed Used Boat Buyer's Guide, which might be available from your local library. I loaned mine out to someone and wish I hadn't, since he hasn't returned it.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 18:59   #5
Marine Service Provider

Well, I'll take the risk of trying to write something helpful and hopefully the maniacs on here won't write something outrageous...I've sailed exteneively on two different T37's. One was a fairly new boat in the 80's and the other was an 80's model I sailed a few years ago. Overall they were both very impressive new and old--pretty, seakindly, comfortable, fast--simply a classy S and S design. They deserve their excellent reputation. However, there was one design error--the head is tiny and it is hard to get in and out especially in a seaway or with weather gear">foul weather gear on. But that's a quibble.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 20:53   #6

Thanks guys. I will look up the Practical Sailor Guide, and it is good to hear of Paul's experience. As I have been reading other things today, it sounds as if the S&S/Tartan partnership was a good one, producing excellent boats during this time period. Having never purchased a boat before, my biggest fear is finding myself with a lemon or an unseaworthy boat. Outside the usual and normal checks for a used boat, I am not hearing any big caution tales as these older boats sometimes engender--no part of a production run that got sloppy, no key thing that always wears out, etc. Again, if you know differently, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

Tony
Old 13-07-2014, 07:02   #7

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

There are a lot of T-37 owners on the Yahoo Tartan list who will chime in on the details. As you get to the point of looking at specific boats, you may also find other owners willing to share their knowledge about the boat you're looking at.

One point of confusion may come up. In an earlier post, there was reference to 37-1, 37-2 and 37-3. You'll commonly see this progression referred to as the T-37 Blackwatch, T-37c, and T-372. I only mention this because, if you ask about the 37-2, you're likely to get answers about the late-80's design rather than the '76-'89 T-37c. Here's a link to the models: Models - Tartan Owners Northeast.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 11:31   #8
Marine Service Provider

To clarify my preferences in the Tartan 37 line. The T-37c is nice because there is nothing like the added draft of the CB when going to windward. On the other hand... The 372 is nice because you don't have the maintenance issue of the centerboard.

As far as the head- there is nothing tighter than a T-33 head! I am 6'3", 225 lbs and have ballooned to a 40" waist. That size is probably at the top of the size range for the head- I am confident I could ride it thorough a knockdown!

IN my not so humble opinion, S&S, Crealock, Perry and very few others designed head-turning and seaworthy smaller boats.

Cheers
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 04-08-2014, 08:32   #9

Thank you all. Our search is continuing. This Tartan "family" is confusing, and there is a lot to learn.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:35   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
IN my not so humble opinion, S&S, Crealock, Perry and very few others designed head-turning and seaworthy smaller boats.

Cheers
How times have changed when a 37' boat is called small!!!
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 15:14   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
How times have changed when a 37' boat is called small!!!
Yeah you are right. Considering the sundeers, etc around here- perhaps I should say Mid-size???

Tags
history