Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2007, 07:30   #1

Boat: Endeavour 40CC
Tartan 34C ?

Ok Im still here and asking silly questions. I went to annapolis yesterday (boat browsing) with my son and we looked at several boats, two of which were a 1987 Hunter 34' for $38K and a 1976 34C' Tartan at $28K...both boats appeared very clean and well kept but the Hunter seemed to have a ton more room inside and did not feel "cramped at all".

Does anyone have an oppinion on these boats? It will be used for cruising to the bahamas from vriginia.

I also saw a 1977 37" irwin center cockpit but after reading several posts on here about irwins I think i will stay away from them.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 11:00   #2

Despite their identical LOA, they are indeed very different boats.

The 70s era Tartans were characterized by use of a center board and frequently a gasoline powered engine - you either like these features or you don't. Otherwise they are sort of a typical narrow-beamed, light weight, mass-produced design for their vintage.

The 80s era H34s are well over a foot wider, have a real aft cabin (sort of), and generally represent a much roomier, more comfortable live-aboard for their length and vintage. BTW many people replace the monster dinette table with something smaller that allows U shaped seating. Also, H34s came in deep draft 5'6" and shoal draft 4'3" models.

Cruising lifestyle and live-aboard comfort demands vary widely and are personal to you. My wife and I cruised the Bahamas/Caribbean for 2 years on an H34. Obviously, we found it acceptable, but we want a bigger boat. I think we would have killed eachother on a Tartan 34.

H34 sailing characteristics are interesting. Even loaded down with cruising gear they are excellent light wind performers. This means that they are tender in stronger winds - reef early and often. We always had a reef in the main in anything over 15 knots, but we weren't in a hurry and we still sailed away from most cruising monohulls. Like many monohulls they can fishtail and slam in following seas and are not happy sailing directly downwind. Never sailed a Tartan.

Unless they are very well equipped and in unusally good condition, I think both boats you mention are little over priced.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote