Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2008, 08:44   #1

Ta Shing Panda

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here so be gentle

I'm looking at purchasing a 38' Ta Shing Panda for some off shore adventures.
Can't seem to find that much info on the net.

Is this a good choice for an off shore boat ? Would I be better off with something else?
Also considering a Tayana 37. as well Island Packet 38' (although I may break the budget)
My offshore experience is very limited so I'm looking for a forgiving boat.

My budget is about 100K give or take 30K
marco2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 09:31   #2

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
I'm eyeing similar boats as you. I've always thought the older (70's) Tayana 37's seemed like a pretty good value. Never been able to find out why they are so much less expensive than similar TaShing, Lord Nelson, or Hans Christians. Maybe someone knowledgeable can fill us in.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 12:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Now thats a name I have never heard before. Any more info available about it???

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 13:28   #4

Boat: gozzard 44
In his book, "Yacht Design According to Perry", Bob Perry talks about designing the Tashiba 36 (LOA 35'11" - which, if you add the 2' bowsprit might be called 38 by some).

The next larger boat is the Baba 40, which was also called Panda 40 or Tashiba 40 - all being the same boat designed by Perry and built by the Ta Shing yard in Taiwan. The confusion in names was due to changes of marketing and personnel over the period.

The Tashiba 36' and a Tashiba 31' were designed after the 40 with design improvements and they were, according to Perry, 'the best boats I ever designed with modified full keels'. He said they were remarkably fast, close-winded, stiff, and well balanced for their type keel design. He drew pilothouse versions of these but not many were built and are rare to find.
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 14:54   #5

Thanks Ronbo1, that explains a few things.

Does anyone have comments on it's suitability for offshore use ?
or recommendations for that matter.
Old 30-06-2008, 15:04   #6

The Baba I gather is a straight Perry design, including a 35 all built by Ta Shing.
The owners assoc speaks of the design being revised twice first as the Panda series including a 34 38 and 40 then as the Tashiba series including a 36.
The Panda designs are credited to Gary Grant of Performance Design Corp, while the Tashiba series are attributed to Perry. Perry claims the Baba and Tashiba.
The Panda series was commisioned by a group of distributors seeking to expand the range. To what extent the design relates to the Baba is moot but an idea can be determined by looking at the plans.
A similar situation arose with the HC yachts.
The HC stems from a 34 commissioned and designed by Perry but enlarged by the Union yard that then built it as the HC36. Evidently they denied him royalties and he then disputed their using his name.
The person involved split subsequently and the Union yard built the Union 36, under various names, including Mariner and the former teacher who had been involved built the HC 36 elsewhere, presumably as a copy since Union apparently kept the moulds.
Perry say he had his revenge by designing the Tayana.
Perry's influence is there amongst most of the above boats which are of similar type and size. The BABAowners site will show you the plans so you can compare them.
Both Ta Shing and Ta Yang are regarded as having been among the better yards. Hans Christian is perhaps a better known name than the same boat built by Union as the Polaris or under the Mariner name. Some say the Union boats were better built.
Although some criticise the full keel and heavy displacement and extensive wood interior they are all blue water capable and designed as such.
Since they are up to 30 years old as well as any inherent issues they will have maintenance ones, and many are not in fact fully equipped for blue water.
The one Panda 38 listed on YW appears to be well equipped with a new motor and rerigging etc. Probably with some offshore equipment SSB liferaft and windvane if that is your intended use, and the removal of the teak decks which nearly all still have you may with reduced price come within the top of your budget and get a very nice boat. Other boats might be cheaper even after more work and money.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 15:15   #7

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Here is the Yahoo group dedicated to owners and prospective owners of Baba's and Panda's. This group is very active and will tell you all you want to know about these types of boats.

baba-l : Baba-Panda-Tashiba Sailboat Users Group

I owned a Panda 40 for several years and enjoyed that boat alot.

Keegan
Old 01-07-2008, 06:48   #8

Thanks everyone for your input
I now have something to work with
Old 01-07-2008, 09:23   #9

Boat: Defever 41 "Bear Holiday"
Send a message via Skype™ to hanschristian38
HC comments

Chris is accurate based on everything I have been told. I believe that you would be happy with any of these Water boats">blue water boats. The Hans Christian 33 is also a good choice and perhaps a bit less expensive.
hanschristian38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 20:39   #10

Another Perry boat in the same size/price range is the Valiant Espirit and though they are rare, are also worth a look.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote