Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 22:15   #1

Suggested makes and Models

I am five years out from retiring and collecting my pension. It is my current plan to sell my home and move aboard to start cruising full time. My anticipated cruising grounds include but not limited to the east coast of USA/Canada, Bahamas and Caribbean, Central/ South America, West coast of North America up to Alaska, Europe and the Med, and the South Pacific and Australia. So it has to be trans Atlantic and trans Pacific capable. I have narrowed my search down to 3 types of boats. Catamaran, Pilothouse mono hull, and center cockpit monohull. The primary crew will be me and my girlfriend with occasional visitors for a week or 2. Therefore I would like to have at least 2 staterooms, with a relatively (for a boat) larger master. I have budgeted $130,000 US for the purchase and initial outfitting/repair of a boat. This amount might increase to around $150,000US closer to retirement. After my retirement I will have a guaranteed monthly net income of at least $2,500US. I consider my self mechanically inclined and have extensive experience, 30+ years, working on boats. However I am not interested in the upkeep of a wood boat.

From reading these threads it seems that from a financial stand point I should be able to live and cruise comfortably. I am not looking for a rehash of the mono vs. multi argument (there plenty of that on here). What I am looking for is make/model recommendations to look at and consider. Any help would be appreciated. If you have any question feel free to post them. Also I will be posting this on the multi hull section too. Thanks in advance. Lyman Man
Lyman man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:12   #2

Re: Suggested makes and Models

Lyman, our Whitby 42 has served us well for more than 20 years, bluewater capable, center cockpit, ketch, with two bunks and two heads, comfortable sea berths in the salon. Fair winds, Hannah
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:44   #3

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Suggested makes and Models

So basically, you've narrowed down your boat and cruising areas to everything and everywhere. Lol. In all seriousness, a few more specifics would be helpful. Tayana make some great center cockpit and pilot house monos. What size are you looking for? Three that I like are the Tayana Vancouver 42, Tayana 55 and Kelly Peterson 44. The T55 is about double your price range though the other two can be had for between 100-150k for a cruise ready example.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model