Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2013, 09:14   #1

Some considerations : Choices I have to make

Dear friends

I have some considerations and choices to make and would love to hear some opinions.

I am a 56 year old single mail, keen to buy myself a single keel yacht which could be sailed single handed with ease. I owned a Stadt 23 on the Vaal Dam some eight years ago which I regretfully sold. I am currently considering as a start off waters where I want to have my yacht. I am living within a 20 minutes drive from Hartbeespoort Dam, not far from Pretoria, South Africa, though the bad water conditions and limited waters size at Harties causes me to consider rather buying a yacht at the Vaal Dam. When I had my Stadt on the Vaal, the water level was high (with a 100% full dam) with nice dry mooring at Deneysville. Currently the water level of the Vaal is close to 4 meters below full so dry mooring is a problem.

Taking into account that I want a yacht that I can sail solo and therefor don't need something bigger than say 26 foot. I had a quick look at three yachts which was a J22, a Mistral as well as a 24 foot Sweet Pea, but also has to consider a J26 that is available at the Vaal.

I sort of like the Sweet Pea 24 footer, but the disadvantage of this yacht is the fact that it falls in no class whilst there are very few of them sailing on any waters. I was told that the Sweet Pea as fairly fast, but so is the J22 and J26.

Any advise on the points that I have to consider before I buy. I want to buy within the next two months and certainly before next summer arrives.

Thanks

Dolf
Breathe is offline   Reply With Quote