Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 18:38   #31

Re: Some Boats Just Do It.

Quote:
We'll wave to you as we head out for a sail while you put one more coat of varnish on
That's what slack time is for. Besides, with the wooden masts I'll have no problem with dissimilar metals causing a galvanic reaction. And when that thunderstorm comes through I hope your boat with that great, great big metal lightning rod is parked near my non-conductive wooden masts. Of course, if I do get hit by lightning the masts will probably burn like a fuse.

Yep, a survey will probably be in the forecast. I say probably because it is only $25000. I do intend to replace the through hulls if they look questionable at all. I'd probably spring for the $4000 or so to renew the standing rigging and give a good look to the chainplates. Peace of mind is worth that much. I have all kinds of moisture meters. But if anything really sticks out I'm sure I'd get a survey.

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 20:14   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Burgette View Post
But if anything really sticks out I'm sure I'd get a survey.
Bill, I think that you have that ass backwards: the survey is to find those things that DON'T stick out... especially to a chappie with limited experience.

So, yeah, it is a pretty boat (if the pix are recent), but having known several Cheoy Lees over the years I know that they do have problems with leaky decks and fittings, rot in the spruce spars, antique wiring, often poor engine access, and for their length, rather small interior spaces. These are things that can cause severe buyers remorse. Your "only 25K$" thoughts are before the hole in the water cries out for filling with money.

So, just in case you didn't get my drift, or that of many of the other posts above, GET HER SURVEYED.

Boat lust can severely distort your judgement, mate, so get a pro who isn't emotionally involved to have a good long look.

And, should she turn out aces, whoopie!

Cheers and good luck

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Morning Cove, NSW, Oz
Old 04-04-2011, 21:22   #33

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I got a quote for replacing my teak decks. About what the boat would be worth with new decks. Maybe it looks like fun to replace decks to you but it's not all wood work, it's 1/2 glue work. Not as much fun.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 21:45   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if the boat makes your heart beat-- go for it-- dont listen to the nay sayers if this is what makes your passions arise-- you will suffer regret forever if you do not go with your feelings.
i bought my formosa despite my good friends telling me there is gonna be a need to spend 150k and 5 yrs fixing hr up for sailing. lol. i was told i had wet rotted decking. LOL....i replaced a deck backing plate that was rotted--i have a stronger than normal deck now and many things repaired that folks sed were gonna be so pricey--lol no t even !!!!!!!
and i am leaving sooooon for cruising. so dont let the bad words on a boat get ye down. go for it and have smooooth sailing.
btw-- for assist=ANCE ON REPAIRING-- SE LEAKTY TEAky yacht club, a yahoo group for those of us silly enough to go for these awesomely sweet taiwanese built boats-- formosas and cheoy lees and others built with chinese water torture installed at time of original commissioning.....

a survey is only good for insurance and for bank loans--doesnt really tell what is going on with boat. only tells bank and insurance company that there is a boat and whether that boat is worthy of insurance or loans.

go into the boat with a digital camera and take pix of all areas not able to be seen easily with your eyes-- these pix will tell you a lot about the boat-- you may well find her to be an excellent purchase. also poke into the wood in the underside of the decks-- the overhead in the forepeak and other areas near hatches and places where there could eb leaking of water-- mast boots, cabinhouse connection to deck, everything that goes thru decking-- chainplates-- when were rig and chainplates replaced, if ever--if not ever replaced-- will need to be replaced. 35 yrs is a long time for chainplates made in taiwan. also check the packing gland and shaft tube and the entire drive line for leaking and possibilities for failure. look at intwrior woods to try to find signs of watr damage from leaking of fresh water into boat. teak likes salt water and hates fresh water--will rot in fresh, and renew in salt ....check mast steps for integrity, rig for tune, and all thru hulls for filming and dripping. gooo dluck... PASSION IS THE ONLY WAY TO PURCHASE A BOAT. BUT DO LOOK AT HER WITH SOME COMMON SENSE AND REALITY.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 21:58   #35

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin

Most glass boats are uuuuuuuugly. those Cheoy Lees are awesome. This is a lovely boat. Of course, it is a yawl, so the mast configurations are totally wrong, as the smll mast should be forward and the main mast amidships. She is a beauty. Piss ant things like leaky decks can be fixed. Ugly can't. And boat lust is too sweet ..
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 00:31   #36

Boat: Catalina 34MkII

Sure "Some Boats Just Do It". Then you realize it's a nightmare and you wake up.
Buy a boat with your head not your heart. It's you that is going to have to fix and or replace allot of stuff on a 45 year old boat.
Write an list of things that need attention and put an estimated price next to each item. Be honest and see if the extra $25,000 will cover the costs.
You could burn thru $25,000 in no time then what?
Unless it's all been done and they have the paper work to prove it.
Don't be in a rush to throw your money down. Boats like that take a long time to sell.
Check with your insurance company if they will insure a 45 year old boat without a survey and an estimate for the cost.
Get a newer boat and go sailing, it's way more fun.
ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 00:52   #37

I would love to hear your comments after you actually see the boat.
Cheoy Lee's are good boats I nearly bought one once.
By Australian standards that boat is very, very cheap, you would never buy a boat like that in Australia for that price.
Don't fall in love with the looks,
check it out throughly.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:02   #38

Here is another boat in your price range.

1984 Hunter 34 *****REPO **BRING AN OFFER**** Sail Boat For Sale -
Old 05-04-2011, 02:03   #39

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Some boats just do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Does the girl come with it?
How about the dog?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:22   #40
vjm

That is a gorgeous, gorgeous boat. Does it for me too.

Could it be a money pit? Sure. But it could also be a great boat you will burst with pride to own. Can't tell until you see it and poke around some.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:58   #41

Boat: searching...

She's a beauty!

I owned three wooden boats (one with a Fiberglass hull), loved them on the water, hated them in the yard. As previous written, if your are willing to spend much time and some money you will be the happiest guy on the planet. If I would life on it and had not intend to cruise forever I would most probably do it again. For cruising only I would go with less maintenance...

The nice thing is, its up to you. Perfect beauty comes, like everything in life, with a price tag. In this case most probably work....but you will be rewarded with the everyday joy of having a unique beauty.

Don't let you drive made from the "Plastic Captains" they just jealous because they don't have enough time to sand and varnish...

cheers Marco
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:12   #42

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

[QUOTE=ozzie;660153
Check with your insurance company if they will insure a 45 year old boat without a survey and an estimate for the cost.
Get a newer boat and go sailing, it's way more fun.[/QUOTE]

Unless you buy a cookie cutter Catalina, Hunter, Beneteau etc., the age doesn't matter, the uniqueness will require a survey for full coverage insurance. Liability, which protects the owner from legal losses is not determinate on getting a survey. Unlike automobiles, boat insurance isn't required by law yet in the US, but liability is wise if you have any assets or income.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:36   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
Unless you buy a cookie cutter Catalina, Hunter, Beneteau etc., the age doesn't matter, the uniqueness will require a survey for full coverage insurance. Liability, which protects the owner from legal losses is not determinate on getting a survey. Unlike automobiles, boat insurance isn't required by law yet in the US, but liability is wise if you have any assets or income.
There are couple of reasons to get a survey. Protect your assets and so you don't purchase a money pit.

Boat yards around the world are full of boats like these. With owners that have spent all of their savings on them and then walked away.

Here is the same boat for sale in 2008. Same pictures, same girl, same dog!!!

Don't rush in and buy the first boat you see.

1966 Cheoy Lee Robb 35 sailboat for sale in Florida

18 Dec 2008 ... 1966 35.6' Cheoy Lee Robb 35 sailboat for sale in currently cruising west coast Florida.
www.sailboatlistings.com/view/11655 - Cached - Similar
Old 05-04-2011, 11:36   #44
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscraft View Post
Don't let you drive made from the "Plastic Captains" they just jealous because they don't have enough time to sand and varnish...
1) We don't have the $$$$$$$$$$$$

2) We don't have the calories or fantasy that maintaining boat increases ones health.

3) We don't have the obligation anchor of having to keep a boats value by the constant cosmetic crap demanded by a wooden boat.

4) We don't have the time because we are out sailing, instead of being delusional that sailing and seamanship has anything to do with the "build" mentality stuck in a yard or on the dock with varnish, oil, or a sander.

For a first cruising boat, an OI! Pee is not a good choice.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:53   #45

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"

Did you go visit it in Florida yet?
Spencer