Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2013, 03:45   #46

Re: Solar Powered Sailboat - - Is this crazy or possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I think a "Boring" 5 year report does have value in itself

How have you got on with (got through?) the batteries?
The batteries four 8A4D AGM's in a 48 volt bank are still fine. I did have an issue with one of the batteries last year when I was tapping off to get 12 volts to run a battery monitor called a Paktrakr:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: INSTRUMENTATION PROJECT PART TWO: Rethinking the Paktrakr
But, with a little TLC charging the battery came back and is now in balance with the others. It is really amazing how little time I spend with maintenance on an electric propulsion system compared to the diesel.
Old 30-06-2013, 03:52   #47
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Solar Powered Sailboat - - Is this Crazy or Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Grind View Post
Scoobert I would love to see how you fit those panels on your boat. I didn't think it was possible on a monohull of that size. That's pretty impressive.
they will go where the life lines are now.
a section of lifelines will be removed, hard rail installed.
they will be on a 180 degree pivot, so when in dock the are flat and inside the beam of the yacht.
two more will go in between the end of the front boom, and the front of the mizzen mast.
i googled it just now and came up with this:
Yoders Afloat: 5/20/2010 - Solar Panel
seems i will not be the first with such mounts.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 03:54   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Grind View Post
DOJ- I too am intrigued by the prospect of an electric galley. Propane really doesn't thrill me. I also agree that most conveniences are unnecessary. All I need to feel luxurious is hot water, cold ice and a laptop to steer by. Ok and a few LEDs to see and be seen.
I'm also rethinking my propane use. Having electric propulsion with it's 10 kw battery bank sitting there at anchor and a Honda 2000i generator opens up the possibilities for using things like a toaster oven and/or microwave instead heating up the cabin with a propane oven.
Old 30-06-2013, 04:22   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by petert96753 View Post
Aloha,
First thanks for all the responses, second, I want to tell everyone that I have done a sea trial on this boat and the technology works. It works so well that I am in the process of trying to purchase this boat. Is it perfect? No, but I do think it will work in most situations as well or better than diesel/propane . . . this technology is not a gimmick, it is well thought out and maybe what's ahead in the future . . . I will post further updates and let you all know more REAL WORLD accounts!
Good for you. I think you will find you will spend very little time and $$$ maintaining the electric propulsion system and it will be more reliable if my experience is any indication. Though as others have expressed I would be careful about how much charging you will realistically get out of the solar panels. Especially with inductive cooktops. I have an Engel on board and the 150 watts of solar panels is fine for my 12 volt house bank to keep it running 24/7. I also have 120 watts of solar panels dedicated to the EP bank along with a wind generator. Though I tend to charge the bank up using the Honda 2000i generator and then let the solar and wind keep things topped up while at anchor. But, then again I am rarely at a dock. Usually my boat is on a mooring or at anchor.
Old 30-06-2013, 08:35   #50

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731
Im curious if anyones electric motor doubles for a battery charger. I would think that a prop under sail would spin and generate a finite amount of power to the battery's. I imagine it would take a while but could someone comment on their experience.

Also has anyone made a transmission to help the charging of battery's while sailing?
Abrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 21:35   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post

i can tell you now our sailboat will be 80% solar.
i will be installing 4 of these.
250w solar panel, solar module 250w

cooking with gas is much nicer. thou we will be getting an inductive burner

the way i am looking at it, money flows while i am working, if this saves me $100 in diesel a month, thats longer i will stay out without working.
+1

I did one year+ with 500 watts solar live-aboard and no shore power on 29 foot sloop.
I figure a 20 year useful life on the panels and am thinking about upgrading for increased amps.

During that fine year, I could mostly keep up with

Dometic freezer (handy low volt auto shutoff)
The Coolmatic fridge does the same but between a higher cutout voltage and minimal insulation, I misdiagnosed it as broken. Then I gridded-in and no more 'problem.'
I recommend the Dometic HANDS-DOWN.
GPS, VHF, sounder, lights, music, water pump etc. all worked fine.

For me, after learning for a month, Cooking on induction is better than gas. The main problem with induction is learning/ making the change. Skip the old wire spiral electric burners. After induction you'll never go back.

The exact temp is displayed & you'll learn to use that advantageously. Invest in Le Creuset or cast iron for even heating. I bought the Duxtop single burner off Amazon and then I gave away the heating coil type burner.

I recommend the after-market screw-in caps on your new batteries. Can't recall the name but thy are green and yellow.

When when I went north, and winter came, I had to plug in for heat.

Any chance you have dimensions/measurements on those 250 W panels? I might peak charge at 35amps with 4 of them tanning.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:11   #52
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
+1

Any chance you have dimensions/measurements on those 250 W panels? I might peak charge at 35amps with 4 of them tanning.
my solar purchase flows like this.
i check this site first,
Free Solar Panel Price Survey | EcoBusinessLinks

the cheapest 2 at a time panels are here:
DM 158w solar panel, solar module 158w, 12V Solar Panel

if you want 250W pannels are actually cost a bit extra.
250w solar panel, solar module 250w
* Size: 64.76"x38.7"x1.38"
so they are about 5'X3'

the 250W are the ones i will be getting, and they make some nice solar charge controlers now,
60amp for $125
C60
if you do a search, you can probably find them cheaper.
MR solar has a nice site, but his prices are out of line.

if you want to cover the surface of your boat with them, or setup a group purchase, there are these.
http://www.gogreensolar.com/products...l-pallet-of-20
Old 01-07-2013, 04:19   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
the 250W are the ones i will be getting, and they make some nice solar charge controlers now,
60amp for $125
C60
Please note that controller is not suitable for use with the 250w panels you list.

The panels have a Vmp of 30.5v so will only work satisfactorily with an MPPT controler and a 12v system.(the voltage is too low for a PWM, or MPPT controller in a 24v system and too high for a PWM controller in a 12v system. The only option that works is MPPT in a 12v system)
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:21   #54
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Please note that controller is not suitable for use with the 250w panels.

The panels have a Vmp of 30.5v so will oly work satisfactorily with an MPPT controler and a 12v system.

how do you figure? it says max voltage is 55 volts? charges at 12 or 24v
Old 01-07-2013, 04:30   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
how do you figure? it says max voltage is 55 volts? charges at 12 or 24v
The controller is not MPPT. (At least that is what the specs imply)
It performs no voltage conversion.

55v is just the maximium input voltage before damage.

Using it with the 250w panels won't do any damage, but because there is no voltage conversion you will be limited to about 115w under the very best conditions (8.2x14) which is not acceptable.

For that controller you will need to pick panels with a Vmp of around 18v for satisfactory performance.

Alternatively if you stay with those panels you must use a MPPT controller, they are not designed to work with a PWM controller.

The panels cannot be used with a 24v system the Vmp is too low.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:32   #56
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The controller is not MPPT. (At least that is what the specs imply)
It performs no voltage conversion.

55v is just the maximium input voltage before damage.

Using it with the 250w panels won't do any damage, but because there is no voltage conversion you will be limited to about 115w under the best conditions (8.2x14) which is not acceptable.
For that controller you will need to pick panels with a Vmp of around 18v for satisfactory performance.
that is great to know. guess i will go with the 150watt units then.
the brochure for the unit is very poor. MPPT units go for over $400...
Old 01-07-2013, 04:40   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrain View Post
Im curious if anyones electric motor doubles for a battery charger. I would think that a prop under sail would spin and generate a finite amount of power to the battery's. I imagine it would take a while but could someone comment on their experience.

Also has anyone made a transmission to help the charging of battery's while sailing?
My Thoosa 9000 system does. Right around 6 knots is the magic boat speed for it to happen don't always get there but, when it does it's real nice.
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ANOTHER ADVANTAGE OF ELECTRIC PROPULSION: REGEN
Making fuel (energy) while underway is a real nice benefit of electric propulsion. If things go just right you'll arrive with more fuel (energy) in the battery bank than when you left.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38   #58

Thank you Scoobert - I get tremendous value off of CF and you are a great example of that.

I have a NASA-retiree designed array it looks like 125w panels and a Xantrax controller (which actually works fine but I have no idea how). I guess I would upgrade panels and controller at the same time and garage sale the existing kit? Or can I just add more, mixed panels? I have convenient space for 6 - 5 foot by 3 foot panels on my 29 foot sloop.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 22:35   #59

Boat: Tartan 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
My Thoosa 9000 system does. Right around 6 knots is the magic boat speed for it to happen don't always get there but, when it does it's real nice.
Making fuel (energy) while underway is a real nice benefit of electric propulsion. If things go just right you'll arrive with more fuel (energy) in the battery bank than when you left.
I have a Tartan 27 with a 48v electric motor and mine does the same thing, I often return with more stored energy than I left with. Over the next decade I'm preparing her for a circumnavigation and I wouldn't have any other powerplant. With a few panels and a wind generator, I'll always be able to produce energy anywhere I am. I haven't seen too many sailboats that can produce diesel in the middle of the Atlantic....
jdham137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:02   #60
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Thank you Scoobert - I get tremendous value off of CF and you are a great example of that.

I have a NASA-retiree designed array it looks like 125w panels and a Xantrax controller (which actually works fine but I have no idea how). I guess I would upgrade panels and controller at the same time and garage sale the existing kit? Or can I just add more, mixed panels? I have convenient space for 6 - 5 foot by 3 foot panels on my 29 foot sloop.
depends what the controller could handle.
its amp and volt rated. you have to check both.

Tags
sailboat, solar