Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 20:48   #16

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind
Re: Seafarer Tripp 30 In Portland OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by david7 View Post

Ironhorse74...the boat is in Tomahawk boat yard. Do you know anything about the workers there? And if you know a good surveyor I'd appreciate any recommendations you might have to offer.

Tomahawk boat yard is next to the marina I am in. Your boat and mine are about 1000 feet apart. That yard is kind of funny. To the best of my knowledge it is a do it yourself yard. It is owned by a relative of the Sextants Chandlery that is right in front of it.

You are aware there is no access to the water from there, right? The owner of the yard has a trailer and then Danish Marine has a travel lift. Because there are power lines between Danish and Tomahawk the mast has to be unstepped.

If you are open minded I like A. Mazon and associates either her or her partner.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:54   #17

Boat: Seafarer Tripp 30
So I'll be in Portland on the 26th and 27th. I set up an appointment with Allison on the 27th to walk through the boat with me. If anyone wants to come by on those two days to take a look and proffer their opinion that would be cool with me. Hopefully the keel isn't falling off or something. I noticed that next door they do bottom paint for $31 a foot...is that a reasonable rate?
david7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:21   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Sorry I'll miss you. I'll be in Portland on the 2nd of Oct but I might just look at the boat from the ground whilst I'm there if I can find the yard.
kind regards,
Old 06-09-2012, 12:26   #19

Boat: C&C 34

Dave,

I have owned a Tripp 29 which is a very similar to a Tripp 30 for the last 17 years and enjoyed every sail. You will not be breaking any speed records, but the boat is quite comfortable to sail.

The boat looks pretty clean, but you might want to take an extra look at these areas:

1. These boats (as many do) have balsa core decks. The hull to deck seam is located under the teak toe rail and it is very susceptible to water intrusion. Check the chain plates for leaks too.
2. Check the fuel tank and see where it is located. If it is the same as the 29 it is located in the bottom of the bilge. I had to replace my tank due to corrosion.
3. Check the keel where the bronze fitting for the rudder attaches. Our boat needed a bit of fiberglass repair at this location.
4. It probably would not be a bad idea to pull out the chain plates also. Corrosion found on mine.

The deck problems ultimately lead me to take the boat out of the water and move it to my house for repair. In the process we ended up buying a C&C 34, so I own 2 boats now. Probably going to sell the Tripp cheap or scrap/part it out
If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:41   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The last time I had a yard do the bottom on my 35' boat, it came to over $2000 though that did include some other work like changing the cutlass bearing. Full keel boats get a deal on price by foot as they have a lot more surface below the water line than fin keel boats. Be sure the price includes a quality bottom paint and that is the total in and out charge without other add ons.

Aloha
Peter Ogilvie
'Ae'a, Pearson 35 #108
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 13:55   #21

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Quote:
So I'll be in Portland on the 26th and 27th. I set up an appointment with Allison on the 27th to walk through the boat with me. If anyone wants to come by on those two days to take a look and proffer their opinion that would be cool with me. Hopefully the keel isn't falling off or something. I noticed that next door they do bottom paint for $31 a foot...is that a reasonable rate?
If the boat is in a yard already, why not just paint it yourself?
Buy the paint from Kim at Columbia marine exchange.
Tim
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 18:57   #22

I've thought about doing the paint myself but I don't know the first thing about it. I suppose doing it is the only way to learn but I really don't want to mess it up. Maybe if the surveyor says it just needs sanded and painted I might give it a try but if there's any fiberglass repair involved I'll probably have it done by a professional.
Old 06-09-2012, 20:22   #23

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Doing the bottom can be a small deal or a really big deal. If it is just roughing up paint and rolling on a couple of coats no big deal. Two days at the most.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 20:44   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Larry Goodson is great as is Alison Mazon. Can't go wrong with either. For supplies do talk to Kim at Columbia marine exchange. She can order at a reduced cost almost anything that you need. Plus she will take most anything you have leftover on consignment.

If I get a chance I'll drop by when you are in town. Might be quite a gathering....

Regards
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:21   #25

Location: I live in Warrenton, GA and sail s/v CaiLeigh Anna out of St. Simons Island, GA
Boat: Catalina 34

Quote:
I paid $50 a foot 2 years ago to have the bottom done on my Seafarer 29. And that's $50 a foot for the length of the boat, not at the waterline.
Hugh17
Hugh17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 18:08   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Former owner of a 2001 34' Gemini 105MC Catamaran

I hope the sailboat is in acceptable condition with no hidden "disabling casualties" aboard. Will be curious to see how it turns out when you get there.
SuenosAzules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 19:45   #27

Yeah...I keep having nightmares about stepping on the deck and having it fall through. Hopefully nothing too serious pops up. I'll find out in a couple weeks.
Old 14-09-2012, 18:31   #28

Boat: C&C 34

Good luck!!! Hope the boat is solid.

Keep us up to date.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 19:23   #29

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

How long will you be in Portland?
Old 14-09-2012, 19:46   #30

This trip I'll be there three days the 26th-28th. Hopefully mid-October I'll be down there for good and can start working on it.

Tags
portland