Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2016, 17:52   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
San Juan 7.7 (Coastal Cruiser/Racer?)

Anyone familiar with these boats?

They look pretty good in the water

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/5672233097.html

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=319

21.94% sail area/disp!
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 18:07   #2

Re: San Juan 7.7 (Coastal Cruiser/Racer?)

Yes, not bad boats, the 7.7 not too good to weather due to shallow draft but a lot of interior for a trailerable boat. Sailing to weather is highly over rated... except for the fun of it! They were built up here nearby in the PNW. I cant remember if they had another building plant in the east or not. Small family run business. I used to race on the SJ 21, 24, 28 and 30's.
Looking at your link, maybe I'm thinking of the SJ26, it's predecessor. It looks like the 7.7 has a bit deeper draft. Looks pretty good. Watch for toe rail leaks, pretty common on many boats of that vintage with the aluminum toe rail extrusions, and the Clark boats were not without some. BIG job to fix. is it mildewed smelly below? Try to look at the boat after a good rain and look for drips inside.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 04:06   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

Ok, thanks.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 04:20   #4

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Cheechako,
They also had a building plant in New Bern NC...I was there in 1976.
It was my uncle/cousins company.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 09:09   #5

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I just helped a friend who moved to Alaska sell his here in WA so I was on his SJ28 quite a bit. We took her out for sea trials and a fast, sweet boat she turned out to be. One thing to look at closely is the decks - I know very little about fiberglass but on this particular boat every stanchion wobbled and there was an area that oil canned on the bow. Could be a one off problem or possibly something particular to the manufacturer. I just don't have enough data. If price helps at all, there was lots of interest but few offers over a 5 week period. He finally took $3500 for it, but he just wanted to get away from the dock fees.
Good luck.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 09:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjcook View Post
Cheechako,
They also had a building plant in New Bern NC...I was there in 1976.
It was my uncle/cousins company.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thanks, I kinda thought I remembered they did.

Old 18-07-2016, 10:24   #7

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Mp...PNW was Kent, WA for the trivia buffs...

Sent from my LGMS323 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 11:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjcook View Post
Mp...PNW was Kent, WA for the trivia buffs...

Sent from my LGMS323 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yep, was down there a few times. My first new boat was built by the Clarks.

Old 01-01-2017, 14:50   #9

Boat: 1979 San Juan 7.7M

It's Probably too late to be posting to this thread, but I only just saw it. I happen to be the proud owner of a 1979 SJ 7.7. And I have to disagree with some of you about the production quality of these boats. At least in my experience. I have an aluminum toe rail (no leaks, ever), my stanchions are firm and there are no soft or spongy spots in the deck, around the stanchions or elsewhere. It is true (due to the weight of the boat [ballast]) she doesn't go to weather well, but, she is built to handle the worst, better than most skippers who own them. I can attest to that as I have been through several really tough blows with her. so much so, that my engine bracket was broken from the buffeting she was taking. The only thing that saved my Honda 4Stroke from being lost is that I had a cable attaching the engine to the rail and a cleat. She doesn't point well into the wind, but she makes reasonable headway close hauled. My model had holes in the deck for the shrouds to go through to "chain plates" mounted against the bulkhead behind the port and starboard settees. Since I sailed her year round, I had to pot these holes several times a season to keep rain etc. out. Later production boats, the chain plate went through the deck and shrouds attached outside. I learned about this 5 or 6 years ago and had mine replaced. Had them custom made and lazer cut to specs... no more potting. She's been Knocked down twice, mast to water, never capsized, just rounded up through a 360 and kept going... scared the poop out me, but just another coin in the "confidence box". These are roomy boats for their class and my guests are always delightfully surprised upon entering the salon (5'8" tall or less), how deceptively roomy the inside is compared to the low profile cabin and comparatively low freeboard, boy is she beamy!. While I don't race, this boat was fleet champion 5 years in a row in the Puget Sound area. I have been living aboard this boat for over twenty years, with some custom renovations of course. Perfect for me, and comfortable for two *if you like each other*. not a lot of useful storage space as the boat was designed primarily for racing. But nothing a little creative genius couldn't cure. My only caveat would be to inspect your prospective vessel thoroughly before purchasing. All vessels are not created equal no matter the builder. Vessels are often abused, misused and neglected by their owners. Caveat emptor! I guess you can tell I like my San Juan ... I know this has been a little "Long winded", but let me close by saying I am now in Tennessee, and will be leaving to return to the PNW via the Tennessee River, Tom Bigbee Waterway, Gulf of Mexico to Corpus Christi, overland to Oceanside, Ca, Splashed, then up the coast to Portland, Oregon. Outfitting now, departing prior to but not later than 31 March 2017. Stay tuned for regular updates once I'm underway! Fair Winds! Oh, one more thing, Once I'm back in the PNW, I plan to have her fitted with a Keel shoe to deal with that nasty weather helm issue ;-) I hope this info has been of help to any who may be interested in this boat. I'm not the best sailor amongst ya, but she's pulled my plebe skivies out of hot water more times than I really care to admit or count. She's bred for that, very forgiving.
Old 01-01-2017, 16:11   #10

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

NorwestR, I also have a 7.7, (1980)and have to agree with most everything you said. It is a great boat. Definitely an improvement over the San Juan 26.
Your comments about going to wind and weather helm confused me though. Until you mentioned not having the keel shoe. Mine has it and I out point most other boats on our lake. We hold our own with speed as well.
The balance is so perfect that I won't feel any weather helm until past 35 degree heel, well past the need to reef.
We were surprised by a 40ish knot gust once in our first season with full sails up. She heeled to 45 then rounded up.
We didn't even get water in the cockpit.
The shrouds going through the deck is a pain, and I would love to see pictures of your solution.
I laughed where you commented on how beamy they are. One guy at my marina commented that it was wide enough to be a tug boat, and I should hang tires on it. Then out on the water, his catalina 25 can't keep up:-) ( on any point of sail)
Damn, now I really want this snow to melt so I can go sailing
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 22:57   #11

Boat: 1979 San Juan 7.7M

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your aiding consensus on the 7.7, we truly have a love affair going on. I will try to take pictures for you tomorrow, both inside and outside. With the new chain plates going through the deck, the shrouds had to be cut and shortened of course. Didn't buy or have new shrouds made, just had a professional rigger do the cut and mate with "compression fittings", works fine and no issues. I may have to do some digging, but I might be able to come up with the "spec" print drawing and the outfit that I ordered them from. The chain plates were precision lazer cut from stainless steel and I couldn't be happier with them. I'll get the info to you as quickly as I can, the specs might take a minute. If anyone else is interested in the chain plates, let me know and when I find the info, I will post it here for anyone who needs it.

Thanks all, fair winds and have a happy and prosperous new year!
Rico
Old 23-03-2020, 18:44   #12

Boat: C&C 27 Mk V

Anyone know where to find a keel shoe?
Drinky Crow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, race, racer, san juan