Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2009, 07:36   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I've gotten a crash course on sailing big rivers since I initiated this thread a few years ago. Since then, I moved from Thailand to Annapolis, MD!

One of the best "sailing" rivers in my area is the Magothy. It widens out nicely near the mouth, with fewer man-made obstructions than the more famous Severn. The surrounding terrain also give it a better exposure to local winds than does the Severn, in my opinion.
Old 23-11-2009, 07:43   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
SNeuman,

How big are you talking about?

We sail on The Neuse, in North Carolina, Which is very wide at the mouth where it opens up into the Pamlico sound. I see cat boats here, but having never sailed one, I would worry about being able to effectively reduce sail. There was one docked next to us when we went to Ocracoke on the Outer Banks a month or so ago. With the winds blowing 20+, I am sure they had to ref from the get-go. It was a Nonsuch 30, if I recall.

There are plenty of shallow draft boats that are sloop riggged, if that is what you are after.

One of the coolest 35 footers I have seen on paper is the Holby Clearwater 35, designed by Craig Walters. Draws something like 1ft 10 inches with keep and rudder up.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 13:49   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Sailing on rivers, hmm spent my childhood holidays doing this and have fond memories of the Norfolk Boards. Saturday was normally handover day for the charter boats, which meant several thousand beginners with absolutely no experience suddenly becoming Captains of there ships for the week. Whilst they zig zagged their way down the river lots of yachts would be tacking up stream on a river only 20 yards wide. The outcome was of course inevitable and all the more fun for it.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norfolk.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	11299   Click image for larger version

Name:	47.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	11300  

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 14:04   #19

Boat: a sailing boat
Have sailed Gadalquivir all the way to Sevilla. Waste of time - the river carries so much fine soil that it is no longer navigation, it is ..... er ... mudification???

I friend sailed huge expanses of Amazonas, he liked that.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 19:09   #20

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Don't forget the original "Old Muddy" Charles River in Boston. I have sailed both the upper and lower sections. Community Sailing in Boston is located on the Charles and might hold the record for the cheapest way to sail in the world.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote