Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 20:40   #1

Boat: Back Cove 30
Sailboat for san juan islands washington

This is my first post and I appreciate some input from my fellow sailors. I will be leaving alaska after 20 years of boating and a few gray hairs! I will be moving to Orcas Island where the weather conditions will be a little different. I know the tides currents and light winds will be an issue. I am looking for a nice cruiser for two people, easy to sail single-handed with nice creature comforts, not too heavy aspect on the speed issue, and in the 28 - 35 foot class. My budget is open with so many vessels in this size availabe at reasonable prices. I like the classic sloops with minimal upkeep and classic lines. I will be staying 99 percent around the san juan islands and Lower British Columbia with most of my trips. Appreciate folks thought to get me further on my way of research. I just purchased Migael Scherer's book on sailing the San Juans too. Thanks and following seas to all!
GreatDanesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 00:37   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Sailboat for san juan islands washington

Aloha and happy hunting!
You might try the links after my signature. You have so many to choose from in 28-35 category and your area. If you could narrow it down by choice of engine gas/diesel inboard/outboard. Wheel sterring vs tiller and maybe keel design it might be helpful. Sailboatlistings.com and yachtworld have photos with interior shots and if you see something you like then make a note of it to see it there might be one in your area.
Good to have you here.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:23   #3

Thanks for the reply skipper John!
I am pretty open as just starting my search while relocating to a new region with slighly different sailing conditions. I would prefer a hand tiller, probably leaded keel, and probably a diesel for the engine (i would not mind an outboard but I worry about currents). I do like something like an Alberg 30 or a newport. Would these vessels be practical for the Sound area. I could even crossover to something lke a Baba35 as I love the interior but the teak decking would be a pain. I would just like a styling vessel that works well in variable winds and can take me around to different yacht clubs and communities around the sound safely and efficiently. So any suggestions on a vessel that you know would work better in the Pacific northwest/puget Sound conditions would be great. We utilize a lot of pilothouse vessels here around kodiak Island. I will add it seems that there are better winds in puget Sound area in the cooler months so I would like to extend the sailing season. I think I will also probably do a charter a few times just to get a feel of the area. Moving to new places is fun! There are a lot of nice boats out there but some are more practical than others for the San Juan area. thanks again for your input John
Old 05-07-2012, 09:42   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Welcome to the forum.

I'm often glad I have pilothouse since I like sailing year round. Light winds aren't the whole story here, unless you only sail July and August and even then we get windy days. A couple of days ago it was gusting to gale force and today and most of the week they're calling for 10-20 knots around Victoria. In the channels the winds do dance around a bit and there are shadows as well as places where the wind seems to come ripping off an island or out of a channel to give you a wild ride. Having a boat that points well is nice. It gets choppy and I think a boat with some weight helps with that.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:49   #5

What type and size of pilothouse do you have? Pros and cons of your vessel.

Thanks for your response and opinions there hummingway!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:00   #6

There will be many times that you will need a good strong engine, to power through adverse current, to get somewhere when the wind is fickle or non existent, etc.

My recommendation, regardless of what boat you choose, is to put at the top of your priority list a strong, very reliable diesel.. Forget the outboard idea, unless the boat is a 27 footer or less.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:56   #7

Thanks speedoo. I think I will be able to narrow things down pretty quick with different folks input. Any input on your boat style for the Sound area. Eg type of keel, sail size/ratio, brand or type preference etc. Just getting a feel for actually what people use down there. I realize there will be many opinions and I welcome people thoughts.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:01   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

An older pilothouse Rawson 30 are sturdy craft but sometimes have deck core issues. The Baba is a very expensive heavy boat compared to the Newport 30 you mentioned. The Newport 30 has more interior room than any of the older 30s around. I too like Albergs.

Seen this one? Classic Sailboat 1960

Bargains are out there.

kind regards,
Old 05-07-2012, 11:02   #9

The boats popular in Alaska would be EXTREMELY popular in the sound. Alaska has similar conditions, just more. More tide, more current, more rain.

It's not like Olympia is the equator we get like 3 days more summer than alaska, and the rest it's still raining just not quite as hard or cold. but it is still cold rain

So my advice is to keep what you have, at least try it out for a year or two. Or look around up there and decide what you like and go from there.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:04   #10

a pilot house is a good idea for the PNW for sure. as mentioned plenty of inboard horsepower. A good dodger with connected bimini and autopilot may be good enough. Furling headsail is handy as you will be sailing for an hour and then motorsailing off and on alot. Budget would help us. Pilot house boats are a little tough to find. Gulf 32/36? Rawson 30?
There was a "nearly rebuilt" Alberg 35 on craig's list a couple of months ago.... Think it needed the rig done....
Saturna 33 might be an option, I know nothing about them. Seen a few around up here. http://ternagain.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/hello-world/
Personally i like a large cockpit if not going offshore, looks pretty small on the Saturna. Pretty boat for a pilot house style though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:08   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDanesrule View Post
What type and size of pilothouse do you have? Pros and cons of your vessel.

Thanks for your response and opinions there hummingway!
Cooper 416; I call her a pleasure palace. She's quite large, 41.5 with a 14 foot beam. I have a smaller cockpit which seems to work well around here. I do have a large foredeck though so that may be part of why I don't miss the larger cockpit.

For what I'm doing the boat works perfectly. I like to go for two, three weeks at a time and she's very comfortable for that. She's very open inside and I think if the goal was to head off for parts unknown then the interior space could be used better. She's a pleasure palace.

There are times I suppose when a smaller boat that pointed better might be nice but I'm a patient sailor.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:31   #12

Thanks to all. We like to say boating here in kodiak is like hooking a garden hose up and blow it through a fan running 50 mph! Your cooper 416 is a beautiful boat for sure. I will start a little smaller as I mentioned. Budget probably less than 60 K as there are so many boats out there. Most of my trips will run less than a week. I currently do not have a boat but have sailed a few different one through the years. Sounds like the diesel pusher for power too.
Old 05-07-2012, 13:02   #13

I would suggest chartering you can charter everything from beautiful little trad wood guys on up in Friday Harbor and Anacortes. Not a lot of wind in the summer but nice wx. Try several out find one you like then try it again in the late fall when you can get some more wind and wx to see how it is below. You will probably never get a better buyers market in the pnw, don't be afraid of wood ones either outside of Maine this is the wood boat capital, the trade is alive and well.

Good luck

Jake
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 13:09   #14

Also get on the wait list for bayside marina by the ferry dock on orcas now, best year round marina on the island and they can accommodate small boats and live aboards if you are patient.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 14:40   #15

Jake,
Thanks again for the input and heads up regarding bayside marina!

Tags
sailboat, san juan islands, Washington