Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2014, 15:29   #1

Boat: CFP Sovereign 24
Sabre vs Pearson

We are looking at a number of boats in the 28-32' range. Two recent additions to the list are a Pearson 28 and Sabre28. The lay-out is generally the same, except the engines:

Sabre: Original Volvo
Pearson: Yanmar 12HP (One cylinder)

Sabre has had stays updated in custom job.

Any comments
Toothless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 15:34   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Sabre vs Pearson

In general Sabres were better built than Pearsons. As with all used boats, condition is usually the determining factor. That and price.
Old 16-02-2014, 15:35   #3

Suggest you do a search on Volvo here on this forum. There was a discussion about them yesterday.

Both are nice boats. My impression has been that a 28 foot boat is more of a compromise than most, trying to put big boat systems into a smaller hull. Sometimes it works. In one vendor's case (not your choices) it resulted in the most overpriced model they ever made. And many skippers I know who bought them ended up getting bigger boats soon thereafter. Just my experience.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 16:56   #4
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Suggest you do a search on Volvo here on this forum. There was a discussion about them yesterday.

Both are nice boats. My impression has been that a 28 foot boat is more of a compromise than most, trying to put big boat systems into a smaller hull. Sometimes it works. In one vendor's case (not your choices) it resulted in the most overpriced model they ever made. And many skippers I know who bought them ended up getting bigger boats soon thereafter. Just my experience.

Good luck.
I agree with Stu. I'd at least look between 30 - 34. I used to have a little Saber 30 I picked up on very short money. She was a decent size for weekend cruising for two. One thing to check on with the Saber espesially the older ones is dampness around the chainplates and cockpit sole.

If I were in your market I'd go for the Saber 34. It would be easier to resell than a 28 or 30. Never look at listing prices for these boats. You can typically get really good deals on them because they all have something going on with them.
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 18:09   #5

Here's that discussion about Volvo engines: Would you ever consider buying a boat with a Volvo Penta 2003 or 2003T engine? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 19:08   #6

Boat: PSC 37

We owned a Pearson 28-1 and that boat was awesome. She carried us through crap plenty of times, won club races regularly (no thanks to us), and turned heads at the dock (she was a looker). Previous owner took her to the Bahamas twice and replaced the starboard settee with cabinetry and a better galley. She felt like a bigger boat. Lots to be said for a small cruiser.

The Sabre is awesome too, but I have to speak up for the good old Pearson. She was my favorite ever and we wept they day we sold her.
jangann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson, sabre