Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2009, 18:55   #31
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
I'm too busy putting my boat back together to get into a fistfight or carry out doctoral research for keel failures. Go sailing.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 00:17   #32
Marine Service Provider

It is pretty well known some J boats have had keel issues, as have many of other designs. Specifically which ones and why I haven't had a look. I don't think NT's comment was out of line but may have been worded better.

Any idea how old that one was NT?
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 03:22   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Results for J+Boat+Keel+Problem 460 thousand. Replace the first word with Beneteau =60 thousand. Farr =60 thousand. Hereshoff =14 thousand. Cavalier =96 thousand. Gotta be a reason for that...
Might there not be a multiplicity of reasons for the differing google count statistics?
Observation, without informed analysis, isn’t very useful.

ie: At two possible extremes:
- Herreshoff owners (& prospects) know there are no keel problems with their boats,
or alternatively,
- don’t know enough to be concerned.

Either condition might produce a low search rate.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 06:08   #34

It's sad when a boat go's down for what ever reason.

I work for a marina maintenance co in NZ. and 2 week ago we were asked to check a 40, lidgard as they were taking in water not much but enough to be a nuisance as it was not urgent we left it until Monday, Looking at our Monday's schedule we decided to check the lidgard as we thought it might be a keel problem and it may have to be lifted out.
Upon checking the lidgard we found it to be low in the water and the water just over the floor boards , Upon lifting the floor boards near the motor they had a nylon through fitting for the water cooling for the motor and it was weeping badly I could see the water bubbling up I first thought the fitting was loose and gave it a shake and the whole thing came off in my hand and had a 2" fountain of water and it was cold, So here I was with my hand over the hole yelling HELP, Thank god the boss came down to check how I was going and he even had a problem convincing the operators of the travel lift how serious the problem was.
The boat was lifted and the problem was solved but it re mined me just how quick things can change, If this happened at sea who knows what would have happened
KIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 07:12   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
Mule said: "Seems like I read somewhere the J's have some keel problems, with bolts amybe or something like that."

The smaller older J-boats were known for problems with the keel stubs for which there were well known remedies. There is some internet footage of a J-35 that lost its keel while pounding on a beach in the surf over a prolonged period of time. I have not heard about any similar or other kinds of keel problems with the larger J-boats.

For what it is worth, Elusive was for sale on Yachtworld listed for sale in NZ. She is a very heavily modified version of a J-44 which had its stern extended and its interior rearranged.

Jeff
There was a well-publicized report of a J-boat losing its keel in an offshore race in the past few months. I don't recall what model J it was but I do recall that the boat was returning to San Francisco.
CBinRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 08:05   #36

Boat: Tartan 37 Adios III
But chocolate+donut+keel only gets 2990 hits.

So that proves it for me.
daedaluscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 08:07   #37

Boat: Farrier f27
It was a J80 during the Farallones race in Feb. It occurred on the return just outside the Goldengate bridge. Just goes to show even a mile offshore is still open ocean. Refer to: Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing & Marine Magazine
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 04:43   #38

Boat: Samson C-Smoke 40, 42' LOA "La Rocca"
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Might there not be a multiplicity of reasons for the differing google count statistics?
Observation, without informed analysis, isn’t very useful.

ie: At two possible extremes:
- Herreshoff owners (& prospects) know there are no keel problems with their boats,
or alternatively,
- don’t know enough to be concerned.

Either condition might produce a low search rate.
ummm ... Herreshoff owners know that all of the boats with keel design problems sank before the internet was launched.
LeftRoamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:46   #39

Elusive Crew safe in Fiji

From Latitude 38:

Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing & Marine Magazine

John and Renee Prentice of s/v Elusive, arrived safely at Lautoka, Fiji, May 22 aboard Scarlett O'Hara.
Scottie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 18:26   #40

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
I believe that should be Steve and Wendy Bott of S/V Elusive.
Old 02-06-2009, 18:38   #41
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmpegasus View Post
I believe that should be Steve and Wendy Bott of S/V Elusive.
In defense of Scottie2, whom I had asked to delete all but the first paragraph of the 'Lectronic Latitude story from his post so that it would conform to CF Rules, he had originally posted all of the correct information. However, in editing his post, he cut away some of that correct info, leaving an impression that, as you noted, creates an incorrect assumption. The entire first paragraph of the story reads:

"Having been forced to abandon their Ventura-based J/44 Elusive in mid-ocean, the Bott family and their principal rescuers, John and Renee Prentice, arrived safely at Lautoka, Fiji, May 22 aboard Scarlett O'Hara. At this writing, the Botts are recovering from their ordeal ashore, and are planning to see a bit of Fiji before returning to the U.S."

TaoJones

Tags
Fiji