Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2013, 19:10   #1

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Rudder Problem, Irwin 37 Ketch

Good evening all. I'm bidding on a 1977 Irwin 37 MKIII listed on Ebay here:

1977 IRWIN 37' Ketch Sailboat in Sailboats | eBay Motors

So far I'm the high (and only!) bidder, yikes. After some additional internet sleuthing I think the boat is on the hard in Patchogue, NY, south shore of Long Island. Been for sale for a while. You can see from the listing and the questions at the bottom that it has a rudder problem. Might be a Hurricane Sandy casualty I suppose, it doesn't say which storm. The listing says the rudder "won't turn to the left." I assume that means the rudder won't swing to port.. There's some Q&A about a bent rudder post or a cracked bearing, but if it still moves okay to starboard, I'm thinking it's most likely a broken cable or linkage which might be relatively simple. Anybody know these boats at all and want to take a wild, entirely speculative guess about what could be wrong with the rudder? Any comments from anybody who knows these Irwins would be appreciated.

(I know, insane to buy a boat on Ebay sight unseen, but if I win this thing I'll be flying to New York before I wire any money. If it works out I get a boat for a very low price, if the boat doesn't really exist or it looks nothing like the pictures or the listing and it's a complete disaster with vines growing out of the cockpit and rats in the bilge then I have a nice dinner in New York, buy my wife a souvenir in Manhattan, see a show and fly back home.)

(I know, Irwins are not the Kadi Krogens of sailboats, but I'm not considering a sail to Figi anytime soon. I have read the BoatUS Irwin 37 review on the web. My mother lives in Connecticut so for now -- assuming the rudder can be fixed -- I'd likely just sail it around Long Island before it gets too cold and have it pulled for the winter somewhere near Old Saybrook. Unless I accidentally get swept past Montauk and end up in Liverpool.)
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 20:39   #2

Boat: Watkins 29'
Re: Rudder Problem, Irwin 37 Ketch

Looks like a nice boat, good luck.
NewRudders.com » Standard Rudders
Old 24-09-2013, 21:02   #3

Ah, thanks very much. That link could be very helpful.
Old 25-09-2013, 04:02   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Ill throw in my two cents as we looked at two of these 2 years ago. Both had bad leaks in every port and window. All the wood coring around them were rotted. Probably worse as both had serious stress cracks that indicated the hull was flexing in ways it was not designed to. Nice layouts though and very spacious. One had a New just installed diesel w warranty all roller furling sails, new electronics and rigging, maybe 60k in add ons and I walked away at 29k As the hull was not sound. If its on the hard they should know exactly whats wrong with the Rudder but arent saying, why no pics of the rudder? Why did prior winner run away?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 05:07   #5

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Could be bad pulleys and cable on pedestal, over growth on rudder to hull area. Or a bent rudder shaft. Since Sandy you should be able to find used rudder at a salvage yard or have a new one made. See other threads about this. If you buy, haul and paint and rezinc and inspect rudder and bearing. If the rudder shaft is bent, see if it can to straightened and then look to have a new rudder built in winter. I bought a CSY on ebay and was happy with it. Study the pictures and talk to the owner in person on the phone for more info. Make sure to check engine and TRANSMISSON for water in the wrong places. A friend has one here in FL and it is a great liveaboard for 1 or 2 with the occasional guest. Not a really fast boat, heck it is a sailboat after all. Good luck. Brings lots of PB blaster to lube the pulleys and engine do hickeys when you check it out.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 16:44   #6

PB Blaster is NOT a lubricant. It might free stuck parts, but they will wear out very fast if not lubricated properly.
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 18:13   #7

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
PB Blaster is NOT a lubricant. It might free stuck parts, but they will wear out very fast if not lubricated properly.

I suggested PB Blaster in case the pulleys were frozen and need to be loosened to turn. They then could be removed and cleaned,lubed or replaced as needed......Thanks for pointing it that PB is not a lubricant, but a rust buster...
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 18:17   #8

Thanks all, I appreciate your time in offering your experience on this. I got outbid and let the boat go. Went for a little over $8000 when it was done. Good deal maybe but between the rudder and the photo of the engine that looked like it hadn't been maintained very well - the ketch search continues. Thanks again.
Old 25-09-2013, 18:33   #9

Boat: CL52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Thanks all, I appreciate your time in offering your experience on this. I got outbid and let the boat go. Went for a little over $8000 when it was done. Good deal maybe but between the rudder and the photo of the engine that looked like it hadn't been maintained very well - the ketch search continues. Thanks again.
Hey, items like this often get relisted on ebay again for mysterious reasons.
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 19:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Good evening all. I'm bidding on a 1977 Irwin 37 MKIII listed on Ebay here:

1977 IRWIN 37' Ketch Sailboat in Sailboats | eBay Motors

So far I'm the high (and only!) bidder, yikes. After some additional internet sleuthing I think the boat is on the hard in Patchogue, NY, south shore of Long Island. Been for sale for a while. You can see from the listing and the questions at the bottom that it has a rudder problem. Might be a Hurricane Sandy casualty I suppose, it doesn't say which storm. The listing says the rudder "won't turn to the left." I assume that means the rudder won't swing to port.. There's some Q&A about a bent rudder post or a cracked bearing, but if it still moves okay to starboard, I'm thinking it's most likely a broken cable or linkage which might be relatively simple. Anybody know these boats at all and want to take a wild, entirely speculative guess about what could be wrong with the rudder? Any comments from anybody who knows these Irwins would be appreciated.

(I know, insane to buy a boat on Ebay sight unseen, but if I win this thing I'll be flying to New York before I wire any money. If it works out I get a boat for a very low price, if the boat doesn't really exist or it looks nothing like the pictures or the listing and it's a complete disaster with vines growing out of the cockpit and rats in the bilge then I have a nice dinner in New York, buy my wife a souvenir in Manhattan, see a show and fly back home.)

(I know, Irwins are not the Kadi Krogens of sailboats, but I'm not considering a sail to Figi anytime soon. I have read the BoatUS Irwin 37 review on the web. My mother lives in Connecticut so for now -- assuming the rudder can be fixed -- I'd likely just sail it around Long Island before it gets too cold and have it pulled for the winter somewhere near Old Saybrook. Unless I accidentally get swept past Montauk and end up in Liverpool.)

Good Evening,

I saw your post at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ch-112088.html pertaining to the irwin 37 you were interested in. I

I just came across this one on ebay and I am quite interested in purchasing it. It has a NY tag, so I wanted to make sure this wasn't the same boat. If you could let me know that and give me any info on the irwin 37s that you liked and how much u think this one is worth, then that would be greatly appreciated. THANKS ~Zach

Irwin 37 Center Cockpit No Reserve | eBay
bocasdeltoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Irwin, ketch, rudder