Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2008, 21:39   #1

Reliance 44 Cutter Ketch

There is a Reliance 44 in my area for sale. She really turns my head. The trouble is I don't know a thing about them. Is there anyone here with knowledge or experience with this seductive girl?

She was built from bare hull by the owners.
Solosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 19:48   #2

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
R 44

Hi - Canadian boat. Bit of a cult following. Said to be extremely capable offshore. I guess the majority were factory-made. If it's an owner fitout, it would depend on the quality.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 22:22   #3

Cult following? Boy, I can hardly find a thing about then on the net. Do you know if there is an owners group?
Old 27-11-2008, 22:51   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I believe they were rated highly in Frenc Mate's book "From a bare hull". Not that Mate is any authority.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 17:32   #5

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Solo - not Hans Solo is it? I don't remember where I read the "cult" thing, but I did. Also, the name of the boat stuck in my mind too. On the web, it says they were built in Canada mainly as a production boat and are offshore-capable. They look OK too, which is good.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 18:55   #6

Solosailor,
I have the sales brochure of the boat and the phone number of the designer, I spoke to him a few years ago, his name is Pierre Meunier I think he still lives in Montreal.
Let me know if you're interested.
J.P.
johnpair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 19:28   #7

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch
I believe many of them were finished from bare hulls by their owners. A co-worker of mine built one of the first ones back in the late seventies. He sold it about 10 years later. I may be able to track him down if you want to talk to him. I was able to get a brochure from the designer a few years ago as well.
Paul Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 20:29   #8

Paul,
It's a coincidence you're in Ottawa, there was a reliance (project boat) for sale in Nepean for the longest time. Much work needed before completion.
Most of these boats were hull and deck, you do the rest (or hire experts). I've seen some really beautifully finished boats, but I have also seen boats that were completed by individuals who should have considered taking a course in boat construction before attempting such a project. A few of these boats are still around.
According to the designer, most were balsa cored construction, so port holes, chain plates etc., are a major concern.
Not much room inside for a 44', but then very traditional. The designer borrowed liberally from an older, even more traditional design of which, two boats were made...
Have you heard of these boats?
J.P.
Old 01-12-2008, 21:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Solo - not Hans Solo is it? I don't remember where I read the "cult" thing, but I did. Also, the name of the boat stuck in my mind too. On the web, it says they were built in Canada mainly as a production boat and are offshore-capable. They look OK too, which is good.
No it's not Han Solo. I'm much younger looking.

I understand they were built in Montreal, not Toronto as someone said to me.
Old 01-12-2008, 21:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpair View Post
Solosailor,
I have the sales brochure of the boat and the phone number of the designer, I spoke to him a few years ago, his name is Pierre Meunier I think he still lives in Montreal.
Let me know if you're interested.
J.P.
I would would like to see the original sales brochure. How is it you have had that for so many years! Your worst then me. I just cleaned my home office out the other day.

Thank John.

If it's easier send it to this email address: solosailor@live.ca
Old 01-12-2008, 21:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpair View Post
Paul,
It's a coincidence you're in Ottawa, there was a reliance (project boat) for sale in Nepean for the longest time. Much work needed before completion.
Most of these boats were hull and deck, you do the rest (or hire experts). I've seen some really beautifully finished boats, but I have also seen boats that were completed by individuals who should have considered taking a course in boat construction before attempting such a project. A few of these boats are still around.
According to the designer, most were balsa cored construction, so port holes, chain plates etc., are a major concern.
Not much room inside for a 44', but then very traditional. The designer borrowed liberally from an older, even more traditional design of which, two boats were made...
Have you heard of these boats?
J.P.
Interesting. People have been telling me the opposite. That is that their very roomy. Actually it's seaworthy and seakindly that I want. The only other problem with a boat like this is that it's an orphan.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:53   #12
cruiser

What is a "cutter ketch"?
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:57   #13
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Bob, I'm surprised you've never heard of a 'cuttetch' or 'ketchutter'. Anyway, perhaps that's why she's described as an 'orphan'.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:43   #14

These boats are "orphans" because they start as hull and deck projects picked by individuals with eyes bigger than their stomachs, and never get completed.
I have personally seen one of these "projects" in the middle on the woods in the Toronto area. The other project was located in Ottawa, behind the owner's house. In order to resume completion of this boat, it would have been necessary to first take apart whatever had been done, it was just a mess. When I told my girlfriend about my interest, and showed her pictures of the "boat", she laughed and asked me if I had seen a doctor about this.

Southern Star, do you really, in the right mind, believe that Bob Perry doesn't know what a cutter ketch is?

I'm interested in the Valiant 40/42, so I have to get my literature ready so I can ask Bob a few questions of my own.

J.P.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:00   #15
cruiser

I know what a ketch is and I think I should know what a cutter is.
I've seen ketches with two headsails and they are still ketches. I have seen cutters with one headsail and they are still cutters.

And yes, I am trying to start an argument. It could be fun.
3 2 min rounds w/ 16 oz. gloves. Marquis of Queensbury of course.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter