Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2016, 05:34   #481

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Reasons to stay "Monohull"

Hmmm......I see Wharrams and geminis for under 100k but that's about it, not that I have any problem with either of those makes. Your right I suppose it depends what your looking for. I agree in recent years cats have come down but if you take the above out of it and are looking for something in decent condition the best I see is something like a island spirit 37 or maxim 38 for approx 150k.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 06:33   #482
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
It's true there's more than before but if you're looking for turnkey equipped blue water cruiser under 100K there are probably 50 times as many monos. That is slowly changing though as more come on market

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

No doubt about it, and it does seem as if the price on used catamarans is declining.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 06:37   #483

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

The choices for cats under 100k are limited to lower quality/condition boats, or smaller boats.
Whether looking at monos or multis, you've got to look at the price of new equivalent boats to gauge condition. A boat priced at $600k new isn't going to come on the market under $100k unless there are issues needing remediation to put it in "good condition". Even if it's 20 years old, a well maintained ($600k new) boat in pristine condition that doesn't need a thing is still going to be over $100k.
Supply/demand is also a factor, and there is a stronger supply/demand ratio for multis so they are priced higher. The ultimate deciding factor to determine what a used boat is worth is what a buyer will pay at any given point in time and place; and that is of course different for each sale.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 07:11   #484

Boat: Beneteau

Personally I can't think of a better reason than any cat worth cruising Newfoundland waters in won't fit in my travel lift.

Other than that I think personal preference of attributes is tough to argue with. I'm not fond of the movement of the catamaran in steep chop. For all it's great characteristics that one I'm particularly not willing to contend with.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 08:55   #485

I believe we have people comparing a 37' cat to a 37' mono and no realizing, the 37' cat has the space and comfort of a 45' mono.

Not many 45' mono's in pristine turnkey condition for under $100k.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 10:21   #486

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I believe we have people comparing a 37' cat to a 37' mono and no realizing, the 37' cat has the space and comfort of a 45' mono.

Nope, we have people comparing <$100k cat to <$100k mono.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 10:31   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Nope, we have people comparing <$100k cat to <$100k mono.
Agreed and then they wonder why they can find a 37' mono but not a 37' cat not realizing, the 37' cat gives you the accommodations of a 45' mono.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 11:07   #488

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Agreed and then they wonder why they can find a 37' mono but not a 37' cat not realizing, the 37' cat gives you the accommodations of a 45' mono.
Of course they realise that. Remember most boat owners must live with a budget, so the point being there's not much of choice to pick up a cat in that price range. So quite valid reason to stay mono then.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 12:44   #489

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

Comfort yes perhaps.

But space is quite a different story. Talk to any architect. Get some second opinions.

Cat space (unless it is a very modern cat and not a small one) is at least 50% in the coffins. One will find very many people disliking coffins.

So I am not sold on a 37 cat better / more space than a 45 mono.

Space is not just how much you have of it but also what shape it has (aka layout). Normal people do not live in tunnels. Many sailors would opt for a 45 mono even IF (a thing to be proven) there is more space on the smaller cat.

BTW This one is about the only cat where I could frankly say the space beats an equivalent and some bigger monos:

Interior - Xquisite Yachts

But it is an ultra modern thinking and not a common thing in today's cruising cats.

Love,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 17:49   #490
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Comfort yes perhaps.

But space is quite a different story. Talk to any architect. Get some second opinions.

Cat space (unless it is a very modern cat and not a small one) is at least 50% in the coffins. One will find very many people disliking coffins.

So I am not sold on a 37 cat better / more space than a 45 mono.

Space is not just how much you have of it but also what shape it has (aka layout). Normal people do not live in tunnels. Many sailors would opt for a 45 mono even IF (a thing to be proven) there is more space on the smaller cat.

BTW This one is about the only cat where I could frankly say the space beats an equivalent and some bigger monos:

Interior - Xquisite Yachts

But it is an ultra modern thinking and not a common thing in today's cruising cats.

Love,
b.
To be fair Valhall360 didn't say the 37 cat had more or better space; they said the same space.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 18:08   #491
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Reasons to stay "Monohull"

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hmmm......I see Wharrams and geminis for under 100k but that's about it, not that I have any problem with either of those makes. Your right I suppose it depends what your looking for. I agree in recent years cats have come down but if you take the above out of it and are looking for something in decent condition the best I see is something like a island spirit 37 or maxim 38 for approx 150k.

Prout Snowgoose 37 for sale UK, Prout boats for sale, Prout used boat sales, Prout Sailing Yachts For Sale Prout Snowgoose Elite - Apollo Duck

Prout Snowgoose 37 for sale UK, Prout boats for sale, Prout used boat sales, Prout Sailing Yachts For Sale Prout Snowgoose 37 Elite Catamaran - Apollo Duck

Prout for sale UK, Prout boats for sale, Prout used boat sales, Prout Sailing Yachts For Sale Prout 37 Catamaran 2002 - Apollo Duck

Beneteau Blue II for sale UK, Beneteau boats for sale, Beneteau used boat sales, Beneteau Sailing Yachts For Sale Beneteau Blue 11 fast cruiser catamaran REDUCED ALL OFFERS CONSIDERED - Apollo Duck

Dean 380 for sale UK, Dean boats for sale, Dean used boat sales, Dean Sailing Yachts For Sale 1999 Dean 380 - Apollo Duck This one's in the $150K range..

And... how far your prepared to go..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 18:26   #492

Boat: Catalina 470

Yep, your right. Not cats for me but I acknowledge there are others that would be happy with them. I still dont see much for the money relative to what you can get monohull wise.

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 04:46   #493

Boat: no boat any more

1987!!!!!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 04:57   #494
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Reasons to stay "Monohull"

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
1987!!!!!
What can I say..??
Brits build boats to last.. not like the **** the French churn out..
Though the Beneteau Blue is a fun sail..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 07:51   #495

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
To be fair Valhall360 didn't say the 37 cat had more or better space; they said the same space.
I stand corrected.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull