Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2015, 10:29   #1

Boat: Islander, I36, 36'
Proper practices for Flooded Deep Cycle Automatic Inverter/Charger

Hello everyone, I was hoping to pick everyones brain on selecting and installing a replacement battery charger. Currently we have a Guest Model 2520C-B-50-230 Automatic Battery charger. The thing looks like a relic honestly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-08.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	110646Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-08-a.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	110647

Anywho, we are prepping to live aboard in Annapolis MD and have already started having issues with the battery banks. Before replacing our batteries with a single 12volt we had two 6volt deep cycle batters (golf cart syndrome) connected in tandem to a manual transfer switch connected to the Charger, which leads to a AC panel and which receives shore power. We replaced it with only one 12 volt battery (temp) knowing we would possible have to replace it later one once we decided to upgrade.

We went with a West Marine Deep Cycle 75Ah, Group 24. Not sure if this was a smart choice or not because our battery is reading 1/2 full on our Xantra Link 20 only a month and a half after installing! Which leads me to be curious about the Charger and the battery remote.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-08-b.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	110651Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-08-c.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	110649

Right now I currently only have a huge draw from our icebox which draws about 150amp/day plus laptops, phones, and over head lights. As I have said before, we are looking to install at least 2 solar panels soon and a wind generate later on. Building as we go. However, I understand that buying a inverter/charger that fits my needs now won't work later on down the road when I plan to expand. From my understanding it is better to go big than to go to small and risk issues with electrics later.

So ultimately, what chargers would you all suggest to accommodate for two of these same batteries that can also later on be expanded into to a four battery bank with two solar panels and wind generate? (run-on sentence sorry)

I apologize for my noobish question and honestly, my issue lies with self doubt in what I am told will work and working with electricity. Just need some sort of push in the right direction that this is a good product to pick so that I can have something to learn about before installing.

I am available all day to ask and answer questions and will actively checking in since every minute that goes by is crushes my batteries soul that much more. :-(
Old 08-10-2015, 10:35   #2

Re: Proper practices for Flooded Deep Cycle Automatic Inverter/Charger

Wiring a new charger From Maine Sail: Marine Battery Chargers - Installation Tips & Considerations | SailboatOwners.com Forums
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, inverter, rope