Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2013, 18:23   #1

Price for ranger 33 in Australia

Hi all first post for me! We're looking for a good crushing boat and have seen this ranger 33 out here, the price is high but it looks to be a nice boat. Then I looked at ranger 33's in the USA and they are $20000 to $30000. The guy out here wants $79,000! Are boats in the USA that much cheaper?
Used 1978 RANGER 33 Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 19:34   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: Price for ranger 33 in Australia

Boat prices in Australia are more expensive than in the USA. Having said that, though, $79,000 seems very expensive for a 35 year old 33' boat.

It is very much a buyer's market at the moment. Shop around some more.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 20:18   #3

Boat: Townson 46

The Ranger 33 is a lovely boat. Everyone who has ever owned one will remember it fondly. Classic Gary Mull "nice little sailboat". But yes 79k is over the top.

Electric winches on a 33 footer seems a bit excessive. Perhaps the owner has a disability of some sort.
salient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 20:43   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I own a Viking 33, a Canadian built boat of comparative age and very similar design and rig dimensions as a Ranger 33. While it's a decent boat, it's old and primitive (like mine!) in a number of respects and $79K is laughable.

You could pick one up on the Great Lakes in better condition than a salt water boat for $20K, throw in brand new rigging, more stowage and tankage and brand new sails and do a three-quarters circ back to Australia and you'd be $30K ahead of the game.

Don't believe me? See here:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=13984&url=
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 21:27   #5

Hmmm what a shame, very nice looking boat shame about the price! I agree it is probably a buyers market here right now but they're still expensive Funny I've spent the last hour reading the thread about pilot house yachts, thinking I want one and realizing the boat we sold ten years ago is the one I want now! No harm, the boat had to go so we could buy a home but now it's time to return to the boat owners club
Old 21-04-2013, 21:39   #6

Boat: Carter 33

I think that is expensive...

By comparison, I just purchased a 1978 Carter 33 for less than $30k. Now admittedly mine is an ex-racing boat that needs a bit of TLC and isn't in the same condition as that Ranger but I wouldn't have said there was $40-50k difference...

So you can compare, the ad for mine is here: Carter 33

Cheers,
Dan
DanS4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 22:50   #7

Boat: Traditional 30

Yes, US boats are cheaper. But the exercise to get one here will work out about the same in total costs. That boat seems a little high in price for a lesser brand. However, it certainly does appear to be sailaway. Many hidden costs on older boats inlcude, rig quality, engine rebuilds etc. A cheaper boat may need new strings to hold the stick up and a new donk. So you would blow a neat 15k on that alone. Only your surveyor will really be able to answer those questions though.

Good luck on your search
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 06:13   #8

same boat here for 59K

Used Ranger 33 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
bubble777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 07:21   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

1 AUD = 1.03 USD. Nope, that's not the reason. It looks more like someone thinks their boat is worth far more than it is.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 07:33   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

$79K for a Ranger 33?...No way!!! The sail ok and many make the trip from California to Mexico. I've seen them as cheap as $10K and a well found one for $30K, but that's it.
It would be cheaper to buy one here for $25K and pay the $10K or so the have Dockwise transport it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 07:34   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubble777 View Post
I know Phoenix Star, she is a lovely boat. Really nice. And a reasonable performer for its length.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 08:05   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
$79K for a Ranger 33?...No way!!! The sail ok and many make the trip from California to Mexico. I've seen them as cheap as $10K and a well found one for $30K, but that's it.
It would be cheaper to buy one here for $25K and pay the $10K or so the have Dockwise transport it.
I didn't think about that! I would load it, no, stuff it, with U.S.-purchased boat gear and THEN lash it to a welded cradle on a Dockwise boat.

Australia's a brilliant place, but the cost of boating there is ridiculous. In North America, 33 footers of that age are being cut into landfill because the market is so soft for them.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 09:00   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Not only soft but the shortage of good slips also. Personally, I'd like to see the boat population thinned out a little to take the pressure off a little. If you could easily get $50K for a Ranger 33, it would be a good idea to load Dockwise up with a ton of them and ship them to Oz.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 15:42   #14

I've been looking more! On yachtworld.com (is that a good place to buy?) I can see boats in the USA like Nauticats and Fishers in my price range! I would be tempted to go over buy one and sail over there. Trouble is that wouldn't leave much for living expenses. I'm going to look into Dockwise. I have no idea of the ins and outs of importing a boat from the US but it might keep me busy while in saving mode like now. Thanks for yor help!
Old 22-04-2013, 16:22   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Before seriously considering purchase from the US add together all the import costs (including airfares, car hire, accommodation, shipping, GST, duty, agents fees etc.). My costing, from a few years ago, to bring a boat from the US came to $50k and could have run to a lot more with no effort at all

Then consider that this looks to be a very nice boat, if a little old.

Then pick up the phone to the broker, explain that you're interested but that the price is much higher than you can justify. See what they say.

If positive I'd go and have a look at the boat. Check rigging age, engine etc. The broker should have the ability and experience to put a deal together for you.

At that age it will need a thorough survey.

The YachtHub listed price is $59k which probably contains a some fat. The owner may be very interested in selling - it's costing them serious money to keep the boat if they're not using it.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, price, ranger