Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2018, 07:43   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Pearson 36 help!!

Too much guesswork going on. What version of a Pearson 36, how nice is the rest of the boat and how good a deal?

Yachtworld lists a number of 36' Pearsons of various years and models. A few el cheapo listed for $10-$20K most are project boats, but typically in the $35-$45K range.

Unless this one is listed way in the lower end of this range AND is otherwise solid AND has good sails, rigging and other gear then probably not worth it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 07:58   #17

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjo View Post
...Boat shopping has not been going well!!
It will go much better once you quit bottom feeding. Look for someone's cream puff, not a career.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 15:22   #18

Boat: in the works

Thanks for all the replies! I havent been able to reach the owner, so no updated info.
SKPMAC I'm going to assume corrosion of the bolt due to the fact that theres bottom paint in hte crack. My guess is they knew about it but decided to get another season out of it. I also forgot to look at the reg sticker to see if she was even in the water last season, or any number before.
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 17:39   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies! I havent been able to reach the owner, so no updated info.
SKPMAC I'm going to assume corrosion of the bolt due to the fact that theres bottom paint in hte crack. My guess is they knew about it but decided to get another season out of it. I also forgot to look at the reg sticker to see if she was even in the water last season, or any number before.
Good luck and do keep us posted.

If I may ask, what are they asking for the Pearson?
Old 18-01-2018, 06:03   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
It will go much better once you quit bottom feeding. Look for someone's cream puff, not a career.
I'm on a budget, experienced in carpentry, fiberglass work, paint, and mechanicals. What you call "bottom feeding" is what others call shopping for a boat.
Old 18-01-2018, 06:04   #21

"Best offer".
Old 18-01-2018, 06:18   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Pearson 36 help!!

Quote:
I'm on a budget, experienced in carpentry, fiberglass work, paint, and mechanicals. What you call "bottom feeding" is what others call shopping for a boat.
As for many others among us..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 06:37   #23

Thank you all for the replies and interest. I've read through other online forums, but decided CF was the most friendly and best put together and I'm glad I joined! This boat search is the start of a long time dream for me, and I'm very excited to share the experiences.. good and bad. Maybe start a low budget sailor Youtube channel! Ha!
As soon as I have more info on this boat I'll post it here.
Old 18-01-2018, 07:15   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
"Best offer".
OK. So the bottom line, what is a reasonable price for this boat?

First, I found a couple listed in the $8-12,000 range, one saying up front it's a project boat. This one appears to be a project so first step it would need to be in the same ballpark.

To decide if it's worth it you need to look at the other bits and do some math.

Number one - ENGINE. If the engine is not VG to excellent then this boat might need to be free when factoring in the other issues. If you aren't a mechanic then pay one to check it out. That should include running the engine. If the boat can't be launched you can at least crank and run it on the hard by feeding a hose into the raw water intake but that won't let you run a load.

Also, how is the hull and deck. Check for leaks around everything mounted on the deck. Get a moisture meter or use a rubber mallet to tap and listen for soft spots and delamination. Check where all the bulkheads and floors are attached to the hull and deck. Check the hull deck joint.

Equipment. If the boat doesn't have good sails, anchors and rodes, lines, good standing rigging etc all that can be replaced pretty easily but it all adds up.

Cost to work on the boat. You don't say where you are but any yard in the US it will probably set you back at least a few hundred a month for the boat. However long you think it will take, double it and then add some. Take this from someone that has personally taken on two project boats and observed dozens more. Same applies to cost estimates. Double that and then some.

Then figure what your time is worth. If you're taking time away from earning income would you be better paid by working more and buying a boat in better condition? However in this calculation for a lot of people it is easier to get the money to buy a cheaper boat and spend smaller chunks of money over a long period than to get one big chunk to buy more boat.
Old 18-01-2018, 08:32   #25

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...I was already told by someone that Pearson used "J" bolt on the keel, meaning that, according to him, the "J" portion was in the hull...Am I just looking at a bolt and hardware replacement?...
Quote:
Your first post tells me you are short on boat building experience. This post tells me you are also short on boat buying experience. Be careful of setting too low a budget for too large a boat. This will likely get you a long project that might, if you are lucky, one day become a boat.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 08:51   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

Quote:
Thank you all for the replies and interest. I've read through other online forums, but decided CF was the most friendly and best put together and I'm glad I joined! This boat search is the start of a long time dream for me, and I'm very excited to share the experiences.. good and bad. Maybe start a low budget sailor Youtube channel! Ha!
As soon as I have more info on this boat I'll post it here.
Apparently we need to up the snarkiness. People are beginning to think were nice :P

Ive been on a number of surveys with keel issues. Usually a bolt problem. And the worst case is $22k for an estimate that was for a Beneteau First 38. My buyer and I were shocked, but got the quote from 3 yards! We were thinking it was more like $10k worst case.

Another boat was able to get a $7k post survey adjustment with a $14k worst case scenario that the buyer and seller shared the risk.

If you can get the right survey concession you'll be in good shape. If they're unreasonable forget about it!

If youre sold on the P36s and dont mind a little work theres one up this way thats a widow boat. Its listed kind of high, but the seller just wants it gone. I have extensive pictures of some of the issues. The boat happens to be sitting in one of the best yards around here too! Best as in knowledgable and reasonably priced! Ill PM you my info, I sold a handful of smaller pearsons last year and know their +s and -s pretty well. Ill give you an idea what to look out for.

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 08:57   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

oh yeah, this is a thread you might want to look at!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 09:46   #28

There were three generations of Pearson 36’s.

The second generation had Ketch, Cutter, Sloop and Pilot House versions. The Cutter has a slightly deeper draft.

Prices obviously vary among the different models.

Pearson Information site
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 16:11   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Your first post tells me you are short on boat building experience. This post tells me you are also short on boat buying experience. Be careful of setting too low a budget for too large a boat. This will likely get you a long project that might, if you are lucky, one day become a boat.
Correct on both points. My budget is what it is, unfortunately. I have actually run across some awesome deals though! My problem is timing. I keep contacting the seller too late and missing out! There are a lot of decent boats out there in this range, and anyone who spends the time scouring Craigs list can find them. There are also a lot of turds, in my price range more so than good ones, but I know I'll get one eventually. I'm not in a rush, so I have that on my side. In the mean time I'm educating myself as much as I can.

Tags
pearson