Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2017, 09:04   #136

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Outstanding Boats - A Special Selection of Unusual and Noteworthy Boats I Find

[QUOTE=Steady Hand;2347788]Swedish Pilothouse Motor Sailor 55' LOA

Asking Price = $24,995
Location = Fort Lauderdale Florida USA
LOA = 55'
Year = Older Wood Boat with Fiberglass Skin (2000)

Steady's Notes:

I believe this boat used to be docked in Tarpon Springs. I've cruised by her many times & she is as amazing in person as she is in the pictures. I've never been on her & can't comment on her current condition but she used to be a real head turner & it looks like she still is. It would be good to know how well she was glassed & you'd need a surveyor who really knows what he's doing but this could be the deal of the century if there are no serious issues.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 05:04   #137

Boat: Ericson 34
Re: Outstanding Boats - A Special Selection of Unusual and Noteworthy Boats I Find

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Don't do this to me! A nice looking boat on the Great Lakes, at a price that I could afford, when I had convinced myself that I don't want to buy ...
Even though Royal Huissman is one of the best shipyard, I would remove all the inside woodwork to inspect the aluminium hull... just in case

Wood rots
Steel rusts
Aluminium turns to dust
GRP.... waits

Cheers !
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 15:09   #138
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

French Cutter 1925 WOOD 31'

Location = Puget Sound area (Victoria, nearest cities are Vancouver, Bellingham WA and Seattle WA)

Asking Price = $29,000

I enjoy seeing wood boats and traditional designs. This boat caught my eye and I like what I see in it. IF I could, I would give her a nice home, but that will have to be someone else who gets to love and care for her.

While an old wood boat may not appeal to most sailors and may be impractical for any sailor today, they can be charming.

Why is this one "Outstanding?"
This one is OUTSTANDING because of its age (built in France in 1925) and because of its current condition (as shown in the photos). From the photos shown in the sale listing, it looks beautiful to me.

I particularly like the hard dodger and the interior layout, storage, and interior finish. Overall, I think it looks like a very comfortable small traditional cruising boat.

It is currently for sale. I have NO connection to the boat or seller. And as with any boat, it should be surveyed, and in this case, by a professional surveyor who really knows old wood boats and what to look for in them.

Should one buy a wood boat?
I won't get into reasons why a wood boat may not be the best choice for the average sailor, because that can be learned by reading any of the good threads that address the topics of costs and maintenance and limitations of owning a wood hulled boat today. Look in the archives of CF or any sailing forum and you will find many cautionary comments.

That said, there are some people who have the funds, the desire, the dream, or the craziness to buy an old wood boat. Most of them would say it is because they love wood boats. As with people, dogs, music or anything on which people fall in love, love should not be judged for being irrational.

Description from the Sale Ad:

https://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/bod/6068289803.html
"This classic cutter has traditional maritime character throughout. It has been well cared for throughout its life. Built in France in 1925, it found its way to the Pacific Northwest and has undergone two major refits. In 1960 it had a Bill Garden dodger fitted. Launched in December 2016 after a multi year refit. Roomy and cozy interior, sleeps 4. Upgraded with Westerbeke diesel, Roller furling genoa, self-tending staysail and Bermuda main.
Proceeds from the sale of this vessel will help send young people on sail training voyages with SALTS Sail and Life Training Society. "

Specifications (more details vía the link)

YEAR 1925
LOA 31' hull - 33' 5" Sparred
BEAM 10'
DRAFT 5'
CONSTRUCTION Wood-Pitch Pine on White Oak
ENGINE MAKE Westerbeke
FUEL Diesel
HP 30
FUEL TANK 2 x 30G
WATER TANK 30G

Construction
• 1 1/8" carvel planked pitch pine on steam bent white oak frames. Iron ballast full keel. Deck is oiled fir over plywood.

Accommodation
• Forward double V Berth
• Port Salon Settee Berth
• Starboard Salon Settee berth

Engine
• Westerbeke 4-91
• 30 HP
• Diesel
• 1903 hours

My Disclaimers and Request:

I have no financial or other connection to this boat or the seller.
I have not seen this boat in person, nor have I sailed on it.
As with any boat, it is a good idea to research the design to learn about how they sail, common problems and owner opinions.
As with any boat, it is smart to have a qualified yacht surveyor perform a survey of the boat to assess its condition.
I am posting this to help others find boats. This one caught my eye, and I hope this thread helps others find a good fit for them.
I hope this thread proves helpful to CF Members. If so, let me know.
IF you purchase this boat, let me know (a PM would be OK).
IF you purchase this boat, I would enjoy seeing it, or going for a sail on it, if I am ever in your area. Or, if you own a similar or sister boat send me a PM. I enjoy sailing on a wide variety of boats and would like to get some time on many designs, including this one.
Good luck on your own boat hunt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood French 31ft 1925 Dock.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	145625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood French Cutter 31ft 1925 deck.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	145627  

Name:	Wood French 31ft 1925 stern.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	145628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood French Cutter 31ft 1925 Dodger interior.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	145629  

Name:	Wood French Cutter 31ft 1925 galley.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	145630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood French Cutter 31ft 1925 lockers.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	145631  

Name:	Wood French Cutter 31ft 1925 saloon aft.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	145632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood French Cutter 31ft 1925 Saloon fwd.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	145633  

Name:	Wood French Cutter 31ft 1925 Settee Port.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	145634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood French Cutter 31ft 1925 settee stb.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	145635  

Name:	Wood French Cutter 31ft 1925 Vberth.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	145636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood French 31ft 1925 Dock1.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	145637  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 06:41   #139

That French Cutter is sweet! I love the hard dodger. Wonder what she's fastened with.
Old 18-04-2017, 17:21   #140

Boat: Pearson 30

Can anyone identify what make this ketch is ?
Gravy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 18:26   #141
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Outstanding!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3861.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	150138  
Old 18-06-2017, 19:18   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Outstanding!
WOW!
Old 23-06-2017, 02:52   #143
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

More Outstanding Boats coming soon.…later today, working on it now…
Old 24-06-2017, 07:48   #144

Thanks Steady
dano098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 18:06   #145
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Scorpion 3A 50' STEEL

Steady's Notes:

1. This boat ad says it is kept in "impeccable…well equipped…excellent condition". The photos show a clean looking interior. In fact, this is one of the nicest looking steel yachts I have seen (that is not a super or megayacht or very high end steel), as it has some unusual design in the interior. Of course we all have our own tastes. I enjoy seeing steel yachts and pilothouse sailboats. This boat clicks with me on those two counts, but even more so because of the way the interior was finished out. That looks special on this boat. Not every steel boat is finished this nicely. To me, this looks like an exemplary finish to create a comfortable cruising boat. I started this particular thread to show you what I like very much. This is one.

2. This is a big steel yacht (50') and it looks robust. I am calling it a "pilothouse" boat because it has an inside helm and navigation station. From outside, it looks very much like a "deck saloon" style boat. Some boats are like that. I particularly like a raised saloon settee with table, as I would like to enjoy seeing OUTSIDE the boat while anchored. That is the kind of place I would enjoy sitting while I paint or draw or read.

3. I am impressed by the interior, which is OUTSTANDING. The interior is very light with white bulkheads and tasteful trim. The head compartment looks like something from a nice, tiny, New York or Paris Apartment. I like white interiors because a port light or deadlight can let in light that bounces around making the interior less "cave like" even if the spaces are narrow or small. It has two heads. Both look nice.

4. I like pilothouse boats. This boat has a very nice inside helm position with what appears to be an outstanding arrangement for navigation and steering (though it looks like the helm requires standing).

5. I like pilothouse boats that have a settee in the pilothouse. This boat has a full dinette with settee and what looks like a very comfortable seating and dining area. I think it looks very nice for what I would want.

6. I like to see pilothouse boats that have some opening ports in the pilot house, so there can be ventilation. This boat has that. Many pilothouse boats don't.

7. The aft "masters" cabin features a very different looking low mattress under the cockpit, with nice, white, lockers on either side. This boat is in France, but the registration is French. So, it does seem to reflect some of the French style I have seen in berths. Whether this aft cabin berth would be comfortable in a passage is something the owner will have to determine. The wide open berth looks inviting for lounging or sleeping, but may need to be modified with some lee cloths for passages (if it is used then). There are more photos on the ad, but I suspect there is more to see in this boat, especially forward.

8. The galley looks very nice too. In fact, this looks like a very nicely designed galley for one that is "in line" or longitudinal. I particularly like what appears to be many lockers in the galley for storage.

Year = 1994
Location = Spain

Asking Price = $144,000

Link = 1994 Scorpion IIIa Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

From the Sale Listing Ad:

Specs
Builder: Scorpion
Designer: Karl Feltz
Flag of Registry: France
Keel: Full

Dimensions
LOA: 15.20 m
Beam: 4.0 m
LWL: 12.15 m
Minimum Draft: 2.0 m
Displacement: 22000 kgs
Ballast: 5000 kgs
Bridge Clearance: 19.50 m
Headroom: 1.85 m

Engines
Total Power: 88 HP

Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Mercedes Benz
Year Built: 1994
Engine Model: OM 617
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 2400
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 88 HP

Cruising Speed: 7 knots
Maximum Speed: 5 knots

Tanks
Fresh Water Tanks: 3 Stainless steel (320 Liters)
Fuel Tanks: 3 Stainless steel (400 Liters)
Holding Tanks: 3 Stainless steel (190 Liters)

My Disclaimers and Requests:

I have no financial or other connection to this boat or the seller.
I have not seen this boat in person, nor have I sailed on it.
As with any boat, it is a good idea to research the design to learn about how they sail, common problems and owner opinions.
As with any boat, it is smart to have a qualified yacht surveyor perform a survey of the boat to assess its condition.
I am posting this to help others find boats. This one caught my eye, and I hope this thread helps others find a good fit for them.
I hope this thread proves helpful to CF Members. If so, let me know, as it is nice to know the time spent on it has helped others.
IF you purchase this boat, let me know (a PM would be OK).
IF you purchase this boat, I would enjoy seeing it, or going for a sail on it, if I am ever in your area. Or, if you own a similar or sister boat send me a PM. I enjoy sailing on a wide variety of boats and would like to get some time on many designs, including this one.
Good luck on your own boat hunt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K water.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	150577   Click image for larger version

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K cockpit.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	150578  

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K hard.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	150579   Click image for larger version

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K Helm inside 2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	150580  

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K Nav2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	150581   Click image for larger version

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K Saloon.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	150582  

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K Cabin Aft.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	150583   Click image for larger version

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K cabin aft lockers.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	150584  

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K cabin aft lockers P.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	150585   Click image for larger version

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K Galley Wow.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	150586  

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K galley.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	150587   Click image for larger version

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K Head2.jpg
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	150588  

Old 24-06-2017, 18:34   #146
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Up above I wrote about the Scorpion 3A 50' steel boat I like very much.

To appreciate how nicely it is finished, it helps to look at other boats that are comparable in price, size, design, and year.

Here is a boat that is about the same size (46'), also in steel (nice hull), also a "deck saloon" or "pilothouse" design (that similar to the Scorpion), and it is listed at:

1997 Vokerak STEEL 46DS'
EUR 185,000 Tax Paid (US$ 207,071)

So, this one is more expensive (asking price). Take a look at the two. You decide which one you like the most. They are very different inside (interior finish). This does not mean I don't like the second boat, and I am not saying it is badly made or finished or designed. It looks more typical. I am simply using it as a comparison, and to show how the layout can be very different, as well as the interior finish.

1997 Volkerak 46DS Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 11-08-2017, 10:04   #147
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sundeer 56 or 60 or 64

Steady's Notes:

The Steve Dashew designed Sundeer design has long been one of my "dream boats."

I recently had the opportunity to board a Sundeer 56/60 while I was on another boat that had to raft up to it in St. John's (Newfoundland) harbor. While I was not able to see below decks because the owner/crew was not aboard at the time, I was very impressed by what I saw when I carefully and quietly crossed their decks to first tie up to the boat and then later, to get ashore.

The first impression was "high quality." Everything on this particular boat looked "Bristol condition" and all of the hardware and finish looked perfect. Everything from the teak trim (minimal) to the stainless was in perfect condition.

My second impression was of the hard dodger/Pilothouse. I liked what I saw. Some Sundeer boats have a soft dodger, but most apparently have a hard dodger (doghouse) or pilothouse. This one was long enough for two internal settees that looked about 6 feet long. It was very nicely constructed, and appears to give excellent visibility to anyone sitting inside on watch. On this particular boat, the doghouse/pilothouse had an enclosed build, with doors to the rest of the cockpit. I mention this, because I have seen others that were open (no doors enclosing the aft end of pilothouse). I very much liked what I saw. I suppose the doors could be removed in the tropics (on other boats), but in the cold water location I was in at the time, the thought of a nice dry and warm protected pilothouse/doghouse was appreciated.

My third impression was of the wide side decks as I walked forward towards the bow (we had to raft up). These boats are designed as flush deck boats, so the deck forward of the pilothouse is relatively flat and open. I walked forward and past the numerous large Dorade vents (the boat has 10), each with a granny bar guard around it. The impression I had was of "great working deck space" and "security" from numerous handholds and a higher lifeline (I estimate 32 inches). The relatively flat deck was covered in nice anti-slip paint. Everything felt "high quality" and well designed. There were several large square deck hatches too.

Here are some more facts and statements from my notes on this boat design. It is one of my favorites, so over the years I have collected some facts and snippets of descriptions. I encourage sailors to read about these boats and their design because they represent such a high level of "blue water boat design" and have many interesting features.

The photos I am posting below are simply added to illustrate this boat. The Sundeer line includes a 64 footer, and you may see one in the following photos, I am adding it to show the design too. They are very similar. The 56/60 is essentially the same boat, with the 60 having a larger lazzerette locker in the stern.

While only a few boats were built, they can be found listed for sale.

The asking prices vary greatly, with the lowest Asking Price I have seen lately for a 56 footer was $199K.

Some Facts and Opinions by Reviewers:

Steady: Designed by Steve Dashew. To learn more about Dashew, google his name to find his site "Set Sail" and then read his bio and some of his books (he has provided several of his excellent books as free download PDF files). I learned a lot by reading his "Offshore Cruising Encyclopedia" 28 years ago, and it is one of his free books today. Highly recommended.

Snippets from other reviews:

"They were built by Tillotson Pearson Industrial Composites or TPI for short in Warren, Rhode Island.

They produced seventeen of the 56/60 Sundeers from 1994 to 1997.

They regularly average over 200 nautical miles a day offshore.

The Sundeer has large capacity tanks carrying 400 gallons of water and 220 gallons of fuel.

Steady: By design, there is no requirement or need to have a watermaker or generator, or in most places an air conditioner.

A good review (written in 2000) tells some details.
A New Dawn for Sundeer - boats.com
Here are some excerpts:

"All raw water intake is via a single through-hull fitting that feeds a manifold with taps to the engine, fridge, toilets, etc., and all output is through a single exhaust above the waterline in the stern of the boat, or through big structural standpipes that require no seacocks. Each of the segregated watertight compartments in the boat has its own electric bilge pumps, and a single high-capacity engine-driven crash pump has intakes plumbed into each compartment for emergency use.

With a Displacement/Length ratio of 80, the boat's hull qualifies it as an ultralight racer, but its rig, with a Sail Area/Displacement ratio of 17.5 is, by comparison, quite conservative. This is the core of the Sundeer concept: a light, very easily-driven hull coupled with a modest, easily handled sail plan.

Most importantly, the radical D/L is achieved not through radical lightweight construction, but primarily through hullform. This is not a large boat, but a long one that maximizes waterline, arguably the single most significant factor when it comes to performance, while minimizing beam, thus greatly reducing wetted surface while maintaining directional stability. The entry is very fine and the bilges are rounded rather than flat, reducing both horizontal and vertical wave resistance. Because the long, narrow hull has good directional stability and does not need a tall rig to drive it, the keel can be kept short and shallow, further reducing wetted surface while enhancing structural integrity. For cruising sailors this has added benefits. The six-foot draft allows access to shoal-water cruising grounds, and the 64-foot mast can squeak under bridges on the Intracoastal Waterway.

Steering and Sail Handling: What struck us most about the Sundeer is that under sail she does not feel at all like a 60-foot boat. From behind the wheel, the impression is of an easily managed 45-footer. Only when one starts moving forward along the deck toward the bow and notices the trip takes longer than expected is the boat's true size made apparent.

In anything approaching favorable conditions, it will be easy to push this boat over 200 miles a day, and in ideal conditions, you should see around 240 miles.

But the most remarkable aspect of the boat's speed is how effortless it can seem. On several occasions in moderate conditions, when it felt as though the boat was just lazing along, we glanced at the speedo and were surprised to find we were turning a crisp 10 knots.

One may be tempted to dismiss the concept of a 60-foot boat that can be easily sailed by one or two people as oxymoronic, but, in fact, it is not. Again, this is not a large boat, simply a long one. The rig is short and the sails can be set, reefed and furled without any electric or hydraulic assistance. The deck and interior are very comfortable and easy to move around in a seaway. The systems are well thought out, easy to access and maintain, and can, if one chooses, be kept extremely simple for a boat this size. "

Specifications for the Sundeer 60

LOA 59'11"
LWL. 59'0"
Beam 13'6"
Draft. 6'0"
Displ. 36,500 lbs.
Ballast 11,500 lbs.
Sail area 1,205 sq. ft.
D/L 80
SA/D 17.5
B/D 32%
Engine 88-h.p. Yanmar 4-cyl. diesel
Fuel 220 gals.
Water 400 gals.
Designer Steve Dashew
Builder TPI Composites, Inc. & Sundeer Yachts
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5550.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	153906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5556.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	153907  

Name:	IMG_5563.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	153908   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5568.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	153909  

Name:	IMG_5560.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	153910   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5561.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	153911  

Name:	IMG_5570.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	153912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5571.JPG
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	153913  

Name:	IMG_5558.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	153914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5565.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	153915  

Name:	IMG_5566.JPG
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	153916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5572.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	153917  

Old 16-08-2017, 17:21   #148
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I saw this video today, and thought readers of this thread topic would find it interesting to see. The video was uploaded on August 15, 2017, so this is a recent sale listing.

Here is the broker's description on Youtube:
"Published on Aug 15, 2017
The Paradise 60 Morning Star is the ultimate voyaging yacht designed for a couple to safely sail anywhere in the world on long offshore passages while spending extended periods of time at anchor in no-compromise comfort.

At the time of her launch in May of 2015 she was appraised at over three million Euros!

You can now own Morning Star for about half what it cost to build her!

She is an incredible custom aluminum ocean sailing yacht is the inspiration of Carl and Sandra Soares. After years of defining their requirements and working through design concepts the final vessel was ultimately drawn by Peter Bosgraaf of Bosgraaf Yacht Designs in the Nederland’s. She was built by the famous Dutch builder of aluminum vessels, Jachtbouw Folmer, who has earned a good reputation for building the highest quality of custom aluminum yachts. Morning Star is a one of a kind blue water voyager that is an incredibly capable ocean going sailing machine of the highest order."

Old 16-09-2017, 08:15   #149
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tall Ship ROYALISTE

Now for Sale!

Steady's Notes

Outstanding? Why?
This is a traditional rigged wood boat that will stir up the imagination of privateers and pirates. This is the kind of boat that brings out the kid (or Captain Kidd) in everyone who sees her and sails on her.

There are many photos showing the boat and its fun loving "pirate" crew, on Facebook. The ship has a page, called "TallShipRoyaliste" and from what I saw in the many photos, that crew knows how to have a good time, with obvious fun, pirate costumes, music, and period acting.

Location = Portland, Oregon on the Multnomah Channel

Description from the Sale Ad Listing:

2012 Appraisal: $175,000
Asking Price: $32,000 OBO

An interpretation of a Ketch-rigged privateer gunboat
typical of those in service between 1755 and 1812.
Specs:
Rosborough Design Built By Quinault Bros in Nova Scotia 1971
Wooden Hull (Mahogany and White Oak)
63' LOA/14' Beam/6' Draft
Traditional rigging
Full set of 7 sails
85hp Perkins diesel engine
Re-built transmission
New electrical and fuel systems
New Decks, Beams, bulkhead and more. . .
Ask about her amazing history as told in Mutiny Magazine!

The hull and interior need a lot of work. . .she is a restoration project!

Steady's Disclaimer
I have not sailed on this boat, though I would like to do so. I have NO financial connection to the boat's owner or seller. I am simply sharing this notice about this boat because I find it interesting and "outstanding" for some reason (see my first or Original Post that started this thread).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5864.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	156166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5865.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	156167  

Name:	IMG_5870.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	156168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5871.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	156169  

Name:	IMG_5872.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	156170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5873.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	156171  

Name:	IMG_5881.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	156172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5880.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	156173  

Name:	IMG_5879.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	156174   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5878.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	156175  

Name:	IMG_5877.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	156176   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5883.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	156177  

Old 16-09-2017, 08:53   #150

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I saw this video today, and thought readers of this thread topic would find it interesting to see. The video was uploaded on August 15, 2017, so this is a recent sale listing.

Here is the broker's description on Youtube:
"Published on Aug 15, 2017
The Paradise 60 Morning Star is the ultimate voyaging yacht designed for a couple to safely sail anywhere in the world on long offshore passages while spending extended periods of time at anchor in no-compromise comfort.

At the time of her launch in May of 2015 she was appraised at over three million Euros!

You can now own Morning Star for about half what it cost to build her!

She is an incredible custom aluminum ocean sailing yacht is the inspiration of Carl and Sandra Soares. After years of defining their requirements and working through design concepts the final vessel was ultimately drawn by Peter Bosgraaf of Bosgraaf Yacht Designs in the Nederland’s. She was built by the famous Dutch builder of aluminum vessels, Jachtbouw Folmer, who has earned a good reputation for building the highest quality of custom aluminum yachts. Morning Star is a one of a kind blue water voyager that is an incredibly capable ocean going sailing machine of the highest order."
They spent years designing it and have sailed it for two years and now it's on the market at half the price of what it cost them to build. That's a shame. Either someone is ill or their eyes were bigger than their stomachs in terms of maintaining a boat of that level of complexity.

I know a few people, very knowledgeable and experienced, who bought the boat of their dreams only to realize after a few years that complexity has it's drawbacks.

I'll bet Bernie puts it on broker's row during the Annapolis boat show next month. Would be interesting to take a look.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote