Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-03-2017, 09:04   #136

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Outstanding Boats - A Special Selection of Unusual and Noteworthy Boats I Find

[QUOTE=Steady Hand;2347788]Swedish Pilothouse Motor Sailor 55' LOA

Asking Price = $24,995
Location = Fort Lauderdale Florida USA
LOA = 55'
Year = Older Wood Boat with Fiberglass Skin (2000)

Steady's Notes:

I believe this boat used to be docked in Tarpon Springs. I've cruised by her many times & she is as amazing in person as she is in the pictures. I've never been on her & can't comment on her current condition but she used to be a real head turner & it looks like she still is. It would be good to know how well she was glassed & you'd need a surveyor who really knows what he's doing but this could be the deal of the century if there are no serious issues.

Old 31-03-2017, 05:04   #137

Boat: Ericson 34
Re: Outstanding Boats - A Special Selection of Unusual and Noteworthy Boats I Find

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Don't do this to me! A nice looking boat on the Great Lakes, at a price that I could afford, when I had convinced myself that I don't want to buy ...
Even though Royal Huissman is one of the best shipyard, I would remove all the inside woodwork to inspect the aluminium hull... just in case

Wood rots
Steel rusts
Aluminium turns to dust
GRP.... waits

Cheers !

Old 17-04-2017, 15:09   #138

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

French Cutter 1925 WOOD 31'

Location = Puget Sound area (Victoria, nearest cities are Vancouver, Bellingham WA and Seattle WA)

Asking Price = $29,000

I enjoy seeing wood boats and traditional designs. This boat caught my eye and I like what I see in it. IF I could, I would give her a nice home, but that will have to be someone else who gets to love and care for her.

While an old wood boat may not appeal to most sailors and may be impractical for any sailor today, they can be charming.

Why is this one "Outstanding?"
This one is OUTSTANDING because of its age (built in France in 1925) and because of its current condition (as shown in the photos). From the photos shown in the sale listing, it looks beautiful to me.

I particularly like the hard dodger and the interior layout, storage, and interior finish. Overall, I think it looks like a very comfortable small traditional cruising boat.

It is currently for sale. I have NO connection to the boat or seller. And as with any boat, it should be surveyed, and in this case, by a professional surveyor who really knows old wood boats and what to look for in them.

Should one buy a wood boat?
I won't get into reasons why a wood boat may not be the best choice for the average sailor, because that can be learned by reading any of the good threads that address the topics of costs and maintenance and limitations of owning a wood hulled boat today. Look in the archives of CF or any sailing forum and you will find many cautionary comments.

That said, there are some people who have the funds, the desire, the dream, or the craziness to buy an old wood boat. Most of them would say it is because they love wood boats. As with people, dogs, music or anything on which people fall in love, love should not be judged for being irrational.

Description from the Sale Ad:

https://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/bod/6068289803.html
"This classic cutter has traditional maritime character throughout. It has been well cared for throughout its life. Built in France in 1925, it found its way to the Pacific Northwest and has undergone two major refits. In 1960 it had a Bill Garden dodger fitted. Launched in December 2016 after a multi year refit. Roomy and cozy interior, sleeps 4. Upgraded with Westerbeke diesel, Roller furling genoa, self-tending staysail and Bermuda main.
Proceeds from the sale of this vessel will help send young people on sail training voyages with SALTS Sail and Life Training Society. "

Specifications (more details vía the link)

YEAR 1925
LOA 31' hull - 33' 5" Sparred
BEAM 10'
DRAFT 5'
CONSTRUCTION Wood-Pitch Pine on White Oak
ENGINE MAKE Westerbeke
FUEL Diesel
HP 30
FUEL TANK 2 x 30G
WATER TANK 30G

Construction
• 1 1/8" carvel planked pitch pine on steam bent white oak frames. Iron ballast full keel. Deck is oiled fir over plywood.

Accommodation
• Forward double V Berth
• Port Salon Settee Berth
• Starboard Salon Settee berth

Engine
• Westerbeke 4-91
• 30 HP
• Diesel
• 1903 hours

My Disclaimers and Request:

I have no financial or other connection to this boat or the seller.
I have not seen this boat in person, nor have I sailed on it.
As with any boat, it is a good idea to research the design to learn about how they sail, common problems and owner opinions.
As with any boat, it is smart to have a qualified yacht surveyor perform a survey of the boat to assess its condition.
I am posting this to help others find boats. This one caught my eye, and I hope this thread helps others find a good fit for them.
I hope this thread proves helpful to CF Members. If so, let me know.
IF you purchase this boat, let me know (a PM would be OK).
IF you purchase this boat, I would enjoy seeing it, or going for a sail on it, if I am ever in your area. Or, if you own a similar or sister boat send me a PM. I enjoy sailing on a wide variety of boats and would like to get some time on many designs, including this one.
Good luck on your own boat hunt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood French 31ft 1925 Dock.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	145625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood French Cutter 31ft 1925 deck.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	145627  

Name:	Wood French 31ft 1925 stern.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	145628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood French Cutter 31ft 1925 Dodger interior.jpg
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	145629  

Name:	Wood French Cutter 31ft 1925 galley.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	145630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood French Cutter 31ft 1925 lockers.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	145631  

Name:	Wood French Cutter 31ft 1925 saloon aft.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	145632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood French Cutter 31ft 1925 Saloon fwd.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	145633  

Name:	Wood French Cutter 31ft 1925 Settee Port.jpg
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	145634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood French Cutter 31ft 1925 settee stb.jpg
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	145635  

Name:	Wood French Cutter 31ft 1925 Vberth.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	145636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood French 31ft 1925 Dock1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	145637  

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 06:41   #139

That French Cutter is sweet! I love the hard dodger. Wonder what she's fastened with.
Old 18-04-2017, 17:21   #140

Boat: Pearson 30

Can anyone identify what make this ketch is ?
Old 18-06-2017, 18:26   #141

Outstanding!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3861.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	150138  
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Old 18-06-2017, 19:18   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Outstanding!
WOW!
Old 23-06-2017, 02:52   #143

More Outstanding Boats coming soon.…later today, working on it now…
Old 24-06-2017, 07:48   #144

Thanks Steady
Old 24-06-2017, 18:06   #145

Scorpion 3A 50' STEEL

Steady's Notes:

1. This boat ad says it is kept in "impeccable…well equipped…excellent condition". The photos show a clean looking interior. In fact, this is one of the nicest looking steel yachts I have seen (that is not a super or megayacht or very high end steel), as it has some unusual design in the interior. Of course we all have our own tastes. I enjoy seeing steel yachts and pilothouse sailboats. This boat clicks with me on those two counts, but even more so because of the way the interior was finished out. That looks special on this boat. Not every steel boat is finished this nicely. To me, this looks like an exemplary finish to create a comfortable cruising boat. I started this particular thread to show you what I like very much. This is one.

2. This is a big steel yacht (50') and it looks robust. I am calling it a "pilothouse" boat because it has an inside helm and navigation station. From outside, it looks very much like a "deck saloon" style boat. Some boats are like that. I particularly like a raised saloon settee with table, as I would like to enjoy seeing OUTSIDE the boat while anchored. That is the kind of place I would enjoy sitting while I paint or draw or read.

3. I am impressed by the interior, which is OUTSTANDING. The interior is very light with white bulkheads and tasteful trim. The head compartment looks like something from a nice, tiny, New York or Paris Apartment. I like white interiors because a port light or deadlight can let in light that bounces around making the interior less "cave like" even if the spaces are narrow or small. It has two heads. Both look nice.

4. I like pilothouse boats. This boat has a very nice inside helm position with what appears to be an outstanding arrangement for navigation and steering (though it looks like the helm requires standing).

5. I like pilothouse boats that have a settee in the pilothouse. This boat has a full dinette with settee and what looks like a very comfortable seating and dining area. I think it looks very nice for what I would want.

6. I like to see pilothouse boats that have some opening ports in the pilot house, so there can be ventilation. This boat has that. Many pilothouse boats don't.

7. The aft "masters" cabin features a very different looking low mattress under the cockpit, with nice, white, lockers on either side. This boat is in France, but the registration is French. So, it does seem to reflect some of the French style I have seen in berths. Whether this aft cabin berth would be comfortable in a passage is something the owner will have to determine. The wide open berth looks inviting for lounging or sleeping, but may need to be modified with some lee cloths for passages (if it is used then). There are more photos on the ad, but I suspect there is more to see in this boat, especially forward.

8. The galley looks very nice too. In fact, this looks like a very nicely designed galley for one that is "in line" or longitudinal. I particularly like what appears to be many lockers in the galley for storage.

Year = 1994
Location = Spain

Asking Price = $144,000

Link = 1994 Scorpion IIIa Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

From the Sale Listing Ad:

Specs
Builder: Scorpion
Designer: Karl Feltz
Flag of Registry: France
Keel: Full

Dimensions
LOA: 15.20 m
Beam: 4.0 m
LWL: 12.15 m
Minimum Draft: 2.0 m
Displacement: 22000 kgs
Ballast: 5000 kgs
Bridge Clearance: 19.50 m
Headroom: 1.85 m

Engines
Total Power: 88 HP

Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Mercedes Benz
Year Built: 1994
Engine Model: OM 617
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 2400
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 88 HP

Cruising Speed: 7 knots
Maximum Speed: 5 knots

Tanks
Fresh Water Tanks: 3 Stainless steel (320 Liters)
Fuel Tanks: 3 Stainless steel (400 Liters)
Holding Tanks: 3 Stainless steel (190 Liters)

My Disclaimers and Requests:

I have no financial or other connection to this boat or the seller.
I have not seen this boat in person, nor have I sailed on it.
As with any boat, it is a good idea to research the design to learn about how they sail, common problems and owner opinions.
As with any boat, it is smart to have a qualified yacht surveyor perform a survey of the boat to assess its condition.
I am posting this to help others find boats. This one caught my eye, and I hope this thread helps others find a good fit for them.
I hope this thread proves helpful to CF Members. If so, let me know, as it is nice to know the time spent on it has helped others.
IF you purchase this boat, let me know (a PM would be OK).
IF you purchase this boat, I would enjoy seeing it, or going for a sail on it, if I am ever in your area. Or, if you own a similar or sister boat send me a PM. I enjoy sailing on a wide variety of boats and would like to get some time on many designs, including this one.
Good luck on your own boat hunt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K water.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	150577   Click image for larger version

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K cockpit.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	150578  

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K hard.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	150579   Click image for larger version

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K Helm inside 2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	150580  

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K Nav2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	150581   Click image for larger version

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K Saloon.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	150582  

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K Cabin Aft.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	150583   Click image for larger version

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K cabin aft lockers.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	150584  

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K cabin aft lockers P.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	150585   Click image for larger version

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K Galley Wow.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	150586  

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K galley.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	150587   Click image for larger version

Name:	STEEL Scorpion 3A 1994 $144K Head2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	150588  

Old 24-06-2017, 18:34   #146

Up above I wrote about the Scorpion 3A 50' steel boat I like very much.

To appreciate how nicely it is finished, it helps to look at other boats that are comparable in price, size, design, and year.

Here is a boat that is about the same size (46'), also in steel (nice hull), also a "deck saloon" or "pilothouse" design (that similar to the Scorpion), and it is listed at:

1997 Vokerak STEEL 46DS'
EUR 185,000 Tax Paid (US$ 207,071)

So, this one is more expensive (asking price). Take a look at the two. You decide which one you like the most. They are very different inside (interior finish). This does not mean I don't like the second boat, and I am not saying it is badly made or finished or designed. It looks more typical. I am simply using it as a comparison, and to show how the layout can be very different, as well as the interior finish.

1997 Volkerak 46DS Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: