Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2013, 20:10   #1

Boat: None...
Osmosis on a 1994 Beneteau 400??!!

Hi all,

Looking at buying a 1994 Bene 400. Lovely boat but surprisingly it had a dose of the 'pox'. (I thought the BWS system Bene introduced in the early 90's would have negated that...?)

Anyway, the boat has had a complete Gel coat Plane and after drying and washing out, has been re-laminated with a vinyl ester resin. Then fairing with resins before a new antifoul and re-launch.

I have some concerns with this... have read that the gel plane can cause weakness in the original lay-up?? and also vinyl ester resins often are difficult to achieve a longevity bond with the underlying substrate. The repair job only has a 12 month guarantee as well.

It is a good buy at the price but I am wondering if I am buying potential trouble in the future...

Thoughts from those more learned than me would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Peter.
YOLO110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 20:33   #2

Re: Osmosis on a 1994 Beneteau 400??!!

Not an expert and there are certainly some here on this forum but in my experience the planers can be set to take just the gel coat off, assuming that was all that was needed. Vinylester used to be considered a good replacement as its comparable with Polyester and is a good barrier to water although not quite as good as epoxy. Your repair would have been considered as a decent one when I was more into this stuff but my info is dated so I'll sit back and maybe learn something.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 20:35   #3

Boat: None...

Thanks Robert! Looking forward to learning more too!
YOLO110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 23:30   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersuren View Post
Hi all,

Looking at buying a 1994 Bene 400. Lovely boat but surprisingly it had a dose of the 'pox'. (I thought the BWS system Bene introduced in the early 90's would have negated that...?)

Anyway, the boat has had a complete Gel coat Plane and after drying and washing out, has been re-laminated with a vinyl ester resin. Then fairing with resins before a new antifoul and re-launch.

I have some concerns with this... have read that the gel plane can cause weakness in the original lay-up?? and also vinyl ester resins often are difficult to achieve a longevity bond with the underlying substrate. The repair job only has a 12 month guarantee as well.

It is a good buy at the price but I am wondering if I am buying potential trouble in the future...

Thoughts from those more learned than me would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Peter.

Nothing wrong with re-laminating with vinylester. Gel-Plane is fine too. When you say "fairing with resins" do you mean epoxy? Was it barrier coated as well? 12 months is a really short warranty. 2 years is the minimum standard, five years is fairly common. We warranty our bottom jobs for ten years.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 01:59   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Make a slightly.longer warranty part of the deal if its negotiable? Otherwise maybe the low price is a "just incase you have to do it again" deal.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 05:01   #6

Got an old Endeavour with a wet PVC core done 13 years ago. Still pegs moisture meter but looks great and still stiff. Phil Turner
Phil Turner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, osmosis