Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2007, 17:13   #1

Opinions on Tayana Yachts, Please

Since I received very blunt and to the point feedback on the bavaria yachts, I'm curious what you guys think of Tayana. While I've never seen a Bavaria up close I have seen a couple of Tayana, both the 48ft Perry design, I think.

Anyway, from my perspective the workmanship was fair to good. I do like the layout and design. I don't know about the contruction quality but the displacement is pretty heavy and I was shown a cutout made below the waterline to install a bowthruster. The glass was about 3 inches think.

For the price, it seems like a great buy. Thoughts?
Redbull addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 21:27   #2

Boat: Tayana 48
I have one, so understand fully that I'm biased. You are welcome to take a look BTW...we just moved her from Alameda to Napa this afternoon.
OK...in no particular order...38k lbs, built very robustly, but actually sails well, and is decent downwind, or in light air. Bob Perry designed them to be essentially down-tradewinds boats. 70' air draft, lots of canvas. Cutter rigged though, so a good heavy-weather sail plan. Thick glass, solid below water-line. Great joinery below, quality fittings topsides and in cabin.
Modified fin keel, skeg-hing rudder, prop is not in an aperture. 75 hp yanmar seems standard now, some earlier versions had a 88 hp. Solid "ride", cuts through chop and swells nicely. Not tender, but with a deep, round bilge and lots of sail-carrying ability, she will easily go to about 15-18 degrees, and stay there. Best to reef early, sail her flat with nominal weather helm (actually not true weather helm, but it sure feels like it) and make better speed with more comfort. Points well, good anchoring platform, excellent swim step.
Good tankage (250 water, 160 fuel), very stout Selden rig. I inspected my chain plates last night...a very solid design! Rigging is somewhere between adequate and oversized...seems just right to me.
40' waterline, sails at 7.5 knots on a reach in 18 knots of wind, motors at the same speed at 2800 rpm.
For my money, I like the regular center-cockpit design, but many prefer the raised deck-salon look...you can order one either way. Also customizeable is the interior.
If you are serious, contact me. I'll tell you the things I did that I shouldn't have (few), and the things I didn't do that I should have (many).
They are great boats, but they are meant for cruising. They are not happy day-sailing the bay in 25-35 knots, with mulitple tacks and jibes each hour.
And they hold there value very well.
HIH
John
Old 24-06-2007, 21:34   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Redbull,
Tayana are good boats. Congrats Meridian. That is a lot of boat and way too much by about 12 foot on deck for me but Tayana is a great cruiser.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 20:47   #4

I've got a T52 ketch in the CC design and I second everything Meridian said. Took us everywhere we wanted to go in safety and comfort, built like a tank and a joy to sail.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 11:54   #5

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000
Sailed a Baja Bash aboard a 37. Handled everything encountered comfortably.
ughmo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 15:06   #6

Redbull...
A great source of info on Tayanas can be found at the Tayana Owners' Group website
Tayana Owners Group Newsletter
HIH, John
Old 29-06-2007, 15:22   #7
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
My buddy has a T42. He has done a lot of after-market stuff to it, so I don't know how much was original (he did buy it new). But it looks and feels like quality. Sails well (although he tends to turn the engine on if he is doing less than 5 knots). I like the rig, could use more head room (I'm 6' 6"). Nice layout below decks. I couldn't afford one.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 15:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian
Redbull...
A great source of info on Tayanas can be found at the Tayana Owners' Group website
Tayana Owners Group Newsletter
HIH, John

Hi John,

Thanks for the link. I believe we've met about a year ago. You invited my wife and I to stop by the marina and look at your boat. We met your wife and kids.

The 48 is definitely on my short list at this point. We're probably about 2 years from pulling the trigger at this point.

Have you severed ties with work and all?

Cheers!
Tom
Redbull addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 18:16   #9

Tom...I remember! We were in Alameda when you came down.
Congrats on your decision, and your time-schedule...sounds just about right, if you start checking things off your list now. Its amazing how complicated it is to "disconnect" from society!
I wish we had a bit more time, but we're more-or-less on track for a mid-August departure from the Bay Area. We'll do the CA coast for a month or 3, then Ha-Ha in October. From there, some Mexico time, and then an audible on the puddle-jump to the South Pacific, or another year in Mexico.
My sincere advice...start weaning yourselves off things, and minimize possessions, as soon as possible. Don't leave it til the last minute...
Gotta go place another Craig's List ad now...see ya!
John
Old 30-06-2007, 04:42   #10

I'd describe it as a Brick restroom, built with the finest cabinetry around.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:09   #11

Boat: Passport 615. Renovatio.
I looked at Tayana as one of our choices for a cruiser. They were one of the 4 finalist boats that included Hylas, Oyster and Passport. I ended ordering the new 615 from Passport Yachts but thought Tayana was an excellent boat. Bill Dixon, the designer of the new 54 Yayana, designed the new Passport 615 also. I've spoken to him several times and am very impressed with his knowledge. He's been very helpful. If you havn't already, Id check out Passport Yachts before making the final purchase.

Meridian, I'm curious about your list of things you would have done and would not have done looking back. We will be heading out next year after the boat shows (Newport & Annapolis) so we might see you out there since we are planning on 3 to 5 years. Also, our boat will be the first shown in the US as part of our deal with Passport so we'll see you all in 08. I'll be the one on deck with the rum & coke in one hand and cigar in the other..........
michael201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:38   #12

Michael...Congrats on the Passport!
I sent a PM with a few items listed.
See you out there...
John
Old 30-03-2010, 12:34   #13

Boat: Rhodes 32
The four builders michael201 mentions seem to be the most popular high quality yards in the USA. Hylas, Oyster, Passport, and Tayana all build great yachts, and I do not think you can go wrong among these. In the end, your choice may come down to style.

Hylases have the sexiest look particularly the German Frers designs like the 46, 54, and 70. The roots of this attraction is the low freeboard and profile combined with a sweet sheerline and sharp bow. The 54 Raised Saloon has the popular larger pilothouse like windows and is their best seller.

Oysters have the lightest interiors. It is a light almost blond interior but not white-washed. This brightens up the insides. The downside is the high cost of these yachts. Because of their European build location, their labor costs are higher. The whole styling is more European than we are used to here.

Tayanas and Passports go together in a way. They both are keynoted by Robert H. Perry designs. Newer Tayanas like the 55 have a masculine, strong styling with meaty topsides. Passports have a classical style with some even without swim platforms aft. If you like Bob Perry designs and the most American styling, you will like these.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 13:06   #14

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanship View Post
The four builders michael201 mentions seem to be the most popular high quality yards in the USA. Hylas, Oyster, Passport, and Tayana all build great yachts, and I do not think you can go wrong among these.
Jordanship, I could be wrong on this, and if I am I apologize, but I believe NONE of these yacht manufacturers has a yard in the USA...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 15:39   #15

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Tayana, Passport, and Hylas are all built in yards of lesser quality and their prices reflect this. Contrary to the above comments, the interior finish of these boats is not superior. The exterior finish, particulary the gel coat is not great. I considered seriously all the above manufactureres before choosing a Taswell by Ta Shing, a more expensive boat boat, also designed by Dixon. Unfortunately, the yard has sold its soul to P.A.E. and now only makes Norhavn trawlers and have destroyed the sailboat molds. Ta Shing also made the Mason and Norseman line in the past as well as Taba and Tashiba. All of their boats hold their price and are sought on the used boat market. I previously owned a Taswell 44AS and now have a 58AS. We have lived aboard for 6 years and have competed in Rallys against both Hylas 54s and 58 Tayanas. We sail by them like they are not moving.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote