Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 06:55   #1

Boat: Young Sun 35
Send a message via Skype™ to fwalschots
Opinion on This Boat

Hey guys.

Your opinion on this boat would be appreciated. Looking for boat for mostly Coastal Crusing East Coast of Australia with occasional trips offshore (Fiji, Bali etc.).

also needs to be single handed coastal only..

Islander 42.

Islander 42 for Sale. Yacht and Sail Boats - Boat Sales 11860 - Yacht & Boat

cheers

Frans
Old 01-06-2012, 07:06   #2

Boat: In between boats
Re: Opinion on this boat

Very nice boat. I really like the interior layout. A nice big owners bed. great galley. clean engine. simple, easy to clean heads. Two separate heads. nice bright wood interior. plenty of space for guests in the forward cabin.

As long as you are a competent sailor, you should be able to handle her yourself. 42 feet is just right for space, comfort and speed for a lone captain.

I would give her strong consideration is I was Australia and didn't have my own ship. I would try to negotiate 20K off the asking price.

Cheers and Happy Sailing!!!
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingwithSoul View Post
Very nice boat. I really like the interior layout. A nice big owners bed. great galley. clean engine. simple, easy to clean heads. Two separate heads. nice bright wood interior. plenty of space for guests in the forward cabin.

As long as you are a competent sailor, you should be able to handle her yourself. 42 feet is just right for space, comfort and speed for a lone captain.

I would give her strong consideration is I was Australia and didn't have my own ship. I would try to negotiate 20K off the asking price.

Cheers and Happy Sailing!!!
Thanks for reply. Yes seems to have it all.. Just don't know much about the sea qualities/build qualities of this design. Couldn't find much with google etc..
Old 01-06-2012, 07:21   #4

Boat: In between boats

Yea, neither did I. It may be listed wrong. Here what I found if it helps.

1. Islander Sailboats

2. Search Sail Plan Database
( Search for Islander Yachts from the drop down menu)
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 15:19   #5

Thnx..

None of those links appears to have any info to the Islander 42 unfortunately. The Island site only refers to boats pre-1985.. This one is a 1995 model.

Search continues...

HELP...
Old 01-06-2012, 15:35   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

so the US Islander Yachts went out of business in 1985-6.
Sailboats built by Islander / Tradewind Yachts by year on Sailboatdata.com

It may be that somebody else acquired the name briefly or the US company didn't have overseas rights to the name.

Try asking the broker or current owner about the builder and see what name that gives you.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 15:38   #7

Found some more info. appears to have been built here in Australia.

Exceptional. Solid glass yacht built to 2C and 1F international survey, has circumnavigated and cruised both poles. This is a beamy large volume yacht that can sleep 12, has 2 freezers and fridge, full compliment of electronics, low hour 56HP Yanmar diesel, life raft, inflatable, hf and vhf transmitters, huge quantity of spare parts to cover almost any contingency anywhere in the world. If you are looking for a serious offshore yacht, this is one that has proven it is more than capable.
Price AU $159,000

Vessel Name Sea Fever Boat Reference TS536 Year 1995 Length 42' - 12.80m Beam 14ft 6in Draft 2m Displacement 16 tonne Keel / Ballast Fin with bulb Vessel Location Townsville QLD Country Australia Designer Byrne Australia Builder Byron Bros, Brisbane Hull Material Solid fibreglass, view core sample. Decks Material Balsa core heavily glassed Engine 4JH3E Yanmar diesel, late series, 56HP, uses only 2 litres per hour at 1500 to 1600rpm and 5 knots. Shaft driven 3 blade prop. Engine Room Good access for routine servicing.
Hydraulic wheel steering, autolpilot and emergency tiller steering. Fuel 650 litres in two tanks Water 3000 litres Dinghy 3m inflatable rib Outboard 3hp Yamaha Covers Spray dodger and bimini, bimini over aft deck, and full boat shade covers Shower 2, plus deck shower, hot and cold Toilet 2,12V maceraters with holding tanks. Accommodation 4 x doubles, singles, setees and dinette, makes this boat capable of sleeping 12. Ensuite in aft and forward staterooms, cabin heater in saloon. Light and bright interior with white panelling and light cedar colaoured timber bulkheads and trim. Galley Broadwater 4 burner stove with grill and oven, double stainless sink with H&C fresh, and salt water. Plenty of storage and good working counter space. Refrigeration 2 x eutectic freezers, plus 12V danfoss fridge. Large capacity to cater for long offshore runs or entertaining. Ground Tackle 65lb plough, 45lb danforth, 100m x 10mm gal chain, heavy duty anchor winch. Safety Gear 406 epirb, flares, v sheets etc, 8 man liferaft, 3 x 12V bilge pumps, 1 x manual bilge pump, 4 x fire extinguishers, safeties to survey requirements. Electrics Wired 240vac and 12vdc. Cabin and nav lighting, battery charger, 2 x 80W solar panels, Electronics
Navigation VHF and HF transmitters, depth sounder, Furuno radar, Furuno GPS, coursemaster autopilot, wind instruments, Ritchie steering compass, Sail Inventory Fully battenned main, 5yo genoa on furler, MPS, 2 x storm sails. Mast / Rigging Aluminium mast and boom with stainless standing rigging. Standing rigging renewed in 2005, and is oversized Deck Gear Running rigging in good condition, 7 x Anderson sheet winches including 2 by HD self tailers at cockpit. Remarks When you have a good look around this boat, everything is "heavy duty", well thought out, with good attention to detail. A very solid boat. Hull core sample on board is showing about 25mm thick solid glass. Sample of deck layup also available. Very good, very solid boat, will take you anywhere in comfort and safety. Inspection invited.
Old 01-06-2012, 16:40   #8

I don't believe this boat was a product of West Coast US Islander Yachts, which shut down well before this boat was built, according to the specs. Maybe another builder used that Islander name in the 90's? Is there any information on the designer?

You will probably have to look to the seller or broker for more info on the boat.

An alternative to this boat would be a Kelly Peterson 44, which would be older but the KP44 has a superb reputation as a blue water voyager. The KP44 would be 2 feet longer, is probably a better sailing boat and IMO the interior layout is better. Several are available at attractive prices in your part of the world.

Peterson Cutter - Boats for Sale

The one in Borneo, Oddly Enough, looks very well equipped and probably has been well maintained
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote