Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2009, 11:31   #1

Nine Years on the Hard

So, I had been in contact with someone selling a really great soudning sailboat, but they mentioned in the last e-mail that she had been on the hard for the last 9 years. I'm no boat guru but that sounds like it could mean all sorts of problems. Don't suppose anyone can give me advice on what to look for? Or shoudl I just run the other way? Fiberglass hull, custom built in 1971, 48'... 48' 1971 Fiberglass Sailboat

Sounded like a great boat to liveaboard and within my budget, but...
jm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 11:43   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
She is a beauty. The only thing I could suggest you do is check everywhere for dry rot caused by rain entry and standing freshwater. If there is none then this might be the deal for you. It is really hard to check systems that require seawater when you are on the hard but it is doable.

Make certain to get a marine survey and that should be easier since she is hauled.

regards,
Old 29-10-2009, 11:45   #3

Boat: Boatless
Men and boats rot in port...9 years is a long time...would you buy a car that had been sitting in a junkyard for 9 yrs?

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 11:55   #4

Boat: M&M 52, Kiapa
hull could be OK... but so much of the expense of a boat is reflected in systems, plumbing, electrical, and drive train. you are probably looking at quite a project.
kiapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 11:57   #5

looks like a possible bargain. I see two main issues: Did rain water enter and accumulate in the boat at any time, causing rot in the cabinetry or floor supports? Is the Perkins froze up or rusty inside...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 11:59   #6

She was covered by tarps the whole time and they pressure washed the decks when she got dirty...

I don't know much at all about diesels, but aren't you supposed to run them once a month or so? Do they hold up being unused for that amount of time? Would potential fixes be small or huge? I've read that it's very expensive to have work done on diesels...

I would probably buy a car that had been lying around a long time if it ran, it was cheap, and I liked it...factoring into my offer the possibility/probability of repairs.
Old 29-10-2009, 12:21   #7

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39
My advice is to have a qualified surveyor look at it, then act on the advice of the surveyor. That way, you're making your decision based upon the opinion of a qualified professional who has had physical contact with the vessel. Someone here could tell you to run away from a great boat, having formed an opinion with less information than you have. If the surveyor says the vessel is sound (or is at least in a condition you are willing to accept), then proceed to the next step in your decision making process. If the surveyor tells you that the vessel is in a condition you're not willing to accept, don't proceed. At the end of the day, whether you purchased the boat or not, you will sleep better knowing that you made a decision based on something as close to fact as you could get.
kevingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 12:25   #8

Boat: Irwin 40
Way too many things could be wrong to speculate about on here. Hire a qualified surveyor it will be money well spend and you will have a list of things to get started on right away if you decide to purchase. Could be a great deal or one you will regret. Get the facts from a professional.

Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 12:26   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
It all depends. You will need a good surveyor and of course sea trials but before you commit to anything have a good look at the boat. Take a checklist with you. Look for signs of water damage or animal damage ( mice ate a friend's liferaft and they like wiring too). You can check many things yourself in a walk through. If the walk through is satisfactory, get as much info as you can from the owner. It looks like a homebuilt. If you're still interested get a survey. The tankage seems small for a boat this size. It looks like a bigger Hughes 38, another S & S design.
Old 29-10-2009, 12:40   #10

Yeah, just brainstorming for some major things I can check out myself, problems particular to disused boats, and whether it's even worth it to get a survey done.
Old 29-10-2009, 13:11   #11

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight
i would be surprised if any of the systems work. If they work at sea trial, they might fail shortly after. Nothing good happens with 9 years of non-use.
HHNTR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 13:46   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Don't be scared away just because she's been up on the hard. You can open and close seacocks and do a lot of poking around to test things. Certainly head diaphrams and such can be replaced and simple manual pumps can be serviced. The engine does not need to be started while sitting on the hard but should be turned over monthly. If it turns over and has low hours it may just need to have some clean diesel to start and run.
Good luck. It looks like a project that if your surveyor finds some things that need fixing could be gotten for a much lower price.
You can inspect the hull very closely and look for blisters and such while she's up there.
regards,
Old 29-10-2009, 13:54   #13

What's included in the "sytems"? Is that just things like the engine and fuel lines/tanks....or more inclusive with things like winches and autopilots, or even more inclusive with light fixtures and refrigeration?
Old 29-10-2009, 14:11   #14
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
What's included in the "sytems"? Is that just things like the engine and fuel lines/tanks....or more inclusive with things like winches and autopilots, or even more inclusive with light fixtures and refrigeration?
Pretty much all of the above. Some things like winches could be made operational pretty easily, others may be very expensive.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 14:12   #15

Boat: Irwin 40
Ok if you are just going to do a quick walk thru before commuting to a survey these are the things i would look for.

Any signs of sagging around the keel
dimples or depressions around the pads for the stands.
Sight the hull for fairness.
look for rust or cracking around the keel
Walk the deck, does it feel stiff under foot?
Is there plant debris on the deck or in scuppers or around hatches
Are there trees nearby (within 100 feet)
Is there mold inside
open all compartments is there mold, are things rusty, do the hoses look dry rotted or show signs of cracking
Are there batteries in the boat? ( tell the seller you want systems to be alble to be powered up before you get there)
turn EVERYTHING on
The boat is on the hill but ask the seller if you can run the engine with a hose, if he says no ask why not?
Get a list of items not on the boat that will come with the boat.
look for leaks around window hatches and chain plates
Use your nose, does it smell musty or moldy, that could be rot.
Bring a flashlight and look in EVERY hole and compartment
Bring a digital camera and take pictures on EVERYTHING you will be glad you did when you get home
Take notes write down every little thing that does not look right or is wrong
How will you get the boat to the water? how much will it cost
how is the mast stored if it has one? it is straight and in good condition?
Are all the rigging parts there? Sails? if so what condition?
When you get home get online and look at other boats in this class and what there are asking subtract 20% this is close to maybe what the boat is worth in sailing condition, Can you get it at a low enough price that you can finish to that level and be around that price not counting your labor?
I could go on but then i would have to start billing you lol

If nothing jumps out at you as being bad hire a surveyor
If you have not done this type of project before hire a project manager (this almost nobody does but will save you lots of money and wasted time, my guess is you will think back on this and wish you had )

Good luck

Wayne Canning. AMS
projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
on the hard