Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2010, 08:56   #1

Newer Hylas 46 or Older Halberg Rassey 45 or 49?

I have been looking at boats for a long time. My wife and I decided we wanted to go sailing one day and started working towards this goal some 10 years ago. Now in our early to mid 40s with no debt and a house that is paid for. We are starting our short list of a boat to start our adventure on. Our budget is really 200k - 250k but with market conditions I still look at boats up to about 300k. After a lot of research and owning a J-30 for about 7 years (that boat is sold). I have narrowed my search and realized I really like the Frers Halberg Rassey 45 and 49 and the Hylad 46. I have seen many on the market. It seems the Halberg Rassey really holds its value and most are 8-10 years older than a similarly priced Hylas. I realize many of the pros and cons of each boat but thought I might ask, who out there may be able to give an opinion on one or the other. Would you go with an older Halberg Rassey or the newer Hylas and more important - WHY? This forum is full of very knowledgeable sailors and yes a LOT of opinions. So please fill free to comment any way you would like. I am sure others will benefit as well.
Jcody2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 09:02   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
The Hylas.

IMHO nicer lines. Sails faster than comparable HR. And you'll get a lot younger for same money so the deck gear (which does wear) should be in better condition.

I've never owned either boat, but visited / sailed alongside both.

JOHN
Old 31-01-2010, 09:07   #3

Boat maket in UK

Swagman, I see you are located in the UK. Some of the boats I have been looking at online are in your area. I am going to the UK in June for my daughters wedding and we plan on looking at some boats while we are there. Any idea what the market is like in the UK?
Jcody2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 09:34   #4

Boat: Island Packet 370
Hi Jcody:

If you desire a center cockpit sailboat the Hylas 46 is well built
and reasonably priced. Be aware center cockpit means wet cockpit.

FLIRTATION HEADING HOME
Hylas 49

Are Halberg Rassey sailboats reasonably priced ???

Respectfully,
Paul
BeenThereAteIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 10:02   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcody2121 View Post
Swagman, I see you are located in the UK. Some of the boats I have been looking at online are in your area. I am going to the UK in June for my daughters wedding and we plan on looking at some boats while we are there. Any idea what the market is like in the UK?
From pals in the industry - they say the 2nd hand market is still OK - but that this is mainly due to the low pound and lots of buyers arriving from overseas to take advantage. I am based south east coast near Southampton si if I can help you in any way, let me know.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 31-01-2010, 16:17   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
buy the hylas
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 16:41   #7

Re: Newer Hylas 46 or Older Halberg Rassey 45 or 49?

Hallberg Rassys are more expensive than Hylas. HRs are built in Sweden, Hylas in Taiwan, so Hylas manufacturing costs are lower. HRs always have a teak deck, with Hylas its an option. Usually Hylas owners elect the molded in non skid and forego the teak. It can be Very Expensive to repair an older teak deck, so I will go with Hylas.
CMorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:47   #8

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

The HR49 is an Enderlein boat; the HR45 is the first Frers boat and appreciably faster. Keep your eyes peeled for an HR45 with chairs instead of a second settee. You won't regret it -- I don't. *grin*

The Hylas is a nice boat also. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Hylas 46 or the HR45. Spend some time on both boats and sail them if you can - buy the one that speaks to you.

I bought an HR over a Hylas, but you may come to a different conclusion.

Oh - and center cockpits aren't wet on HRs, at least not my 40. The hard windscreen, even with a canvas dodger above, offers tremendous protection. I haven't spent enough time on Hylas boats in nasty weather to speak to them.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:27   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

I have sailed a HR 46 which may be (?) a newer HR45. It is by no means a slow boat. And she power-sails to windward beautifully in shitty weather.

However - I would pick a boat that is easier to get in your area or simply the one that is better maintained, priced, etc.. Looking at the Hylas (pictures and drawings) I do not think it will differ greatly from its HR counterpart.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 13:54   #10

I've spent a couple of weeks on a HR 46. Comfortable quality boat that instills confidence when in rough weather off shore. Have only stood on a Hylas at the dock. Beautiful boat, especially the interior. I am interested in hearing from Hylas owners about the galley though. While the HR has a traditional U shaped galley, the Hylas galley runs the length of the passageway back to the aft cabin. How well does this configuration function? Does it present problems while underway? in heavy seas?
bsbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 18:09   #11

Can't speak for HR but we are extremely pleased with our Hylas 46. In fact, we have hull #1 and they haven't really changed much in 15 years of production except the price. They are semi custom, built by Queen Long, so if you buy new expect to pay $650,000 to start then add your equipment, toys and specialty sails on top of it. With that said, they are built so well that in this economy it certainly warrants looking at used. You should be able to find a good value between 250 & 300k. Aside from the speed, we've done 11 knots in stiff breeze, the layout is perfect for us. I've been sailing for over 40 years and have my 100 ton Capt lic, and still claim I don't know much, but I do claim that I've never felt unsafe in a good "stink" while aboard. She handled well in all conditions we've been in. Of particular note - wiring is second to none, as is support from Queen Long in Taiwan and design team in Spain. In fact, I usually get parts and answers to questions faster from the factory and designer then going to the part manufacture or West Marine etc. Not enough space here to continue so if you have any questions during your search would be happy to help. I've attached picture of our galley as there are many variations since custom. Works fine at dock or in a Atlantic gale for us and hand rails are readily avail throughout.

DS
Dreamcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 17:38   #12

Where's the pic?
CMorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 01:02   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: orion 50
Send a message via Skype™ to andreavanduyn

The Hylas; we produced some boats in Europe at the time and even visited yard in Taiwan.....and were impressed. What a craftmenship and pride in their work.

We now own also a 50' made in Taiwan 20 odd years ago; just great quality.

As Hylas never got to sell in Europe their pricing is low compared with HR which marketing/sales history is bettter and even in USA did pretty well.

As a result you pay far 'too much' for HR in comparison with Hylas.
Old 23-07-2011, 12:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcat View Post
Can't speak for HR but we are extremely pleased with our Hylas 46. In fact, we have hull #1 and they haven't really changed much in 15 years of production except the price. They are semi custom, built by Queen Long, so if you buy new expect to pay $650,000 to start then add your equipment, toys and specialty sails on top of it. With that said, they are built so well that in this economy it certainly warrants looking at used. You should be able to find a good value between 250 & 300k. Aside from the speed, we've done 11 knots in stiff breeze, the layout is perfect for us. I've been sailing for over 40 years and have my 100 ton Capt lic, and still claim I don't know much, but I do claim that I've never felt unsafe in a good "stink" while aboard. She handled well in all conditions we've been in. Of particular note - wiring is second to none, as is support from Queen Long in Taiwan and design team in Spain. In fact, I usually get parts and answers to questions faster from the factory and designer then going to the part manufacture or West Marine etc. Not enough space here to continue so if you have any questions during your search would be happy to help. I've attached picture of our galley as there are many variations since custom. Works fine at dock or in a Atlantic gale for us and hand rails are readily avail throughout.

DS
Dreamcat, just wondered how much weather helm your Hylas 46 has. Apparently the keel was moved aft after the first year or so and I wondered if the earlier H 46 had excessive weather helm.
bill325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, Hylas