Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2010, 09:02   #1

Boat: Morgan Classic 1989
New Member Requests Help to Shortlist Sailboats for One Year Sabbatical

Hi everyone ! I have used the forum extensively over the last 6 months and have done much research regarding the criteria for our 1 year sabatical liveaboard.

We would appreciate ANY constructive input in helping us to decide on a sailboat, our thinking is as follows :

Our background :
200T licensed captain + partner
Currently running an 87' motoryacht.
Grew up on a 42' Steel VanDerStadt ketch, raced keelers for 10 years

Proposed Cruising ground : US East Coast, Bahamas, ICW, Great Loop Route for 1 year.

Vessels up for discussion :
37' Tayana Mariner Ketch
37' Endevour Plan A Sloop
39' Allied Mistress cc Ketch
CSY 37 Plan Cutter sloop

We like the layout of all of these, probably more the Endevour and Mistress ...

Are there any serious shortcommings we should consider when looking at the above list ( all under 50K )

I understand the SA/D, Motion comfort factor and other ratios and am looking for a safe and easy to handle cruising vessel which will do the ICW as well as look after us if we unfortunate enough to be caught out in the gulf stream behind a cold front ...

Prefer a draft around 5', skeg hung rudder, swept forefoot and flat heel / keel bottom and a vessel that will sail in 10kts - 30kts range with reasonable tracking to windward and reasonable directional stability & balanced helm

Single handing potential of the above list is also a topic I would like to review

If anyone has another design in mind under 50K I would be very interested to hear more ...

Thanks for any help !

Undecided
Sailing Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 05:30   #2

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Kinda depends upon which features are most important to you. If roominess is more important than sailing performance, I'd go with the CSY or Endeavour. The Endeavour is actually a 34ft design that they cut the mold and added 3 ft to if I remember correctly. They are known for not-so-good sailing performance but are roomy boats. The killer for me was the traveler runs right across the cockpit and you have to step over it to go below.

CSYs are built like brick you-know-whats but also do not sail all that swiftly.

I think (but am not certain) that the Allied is the best performer on your list, but they are less beamy / roomy than the others. I looked at all except the Mariner during our boat searches..

Each boat is a compromise. Prioritize your needs / desires and then go from there.

Good luck with your search!
Old 17-02-2010, 10:04   #3

Boat: Morgan Classic 1989
Thanks Mark, All you say is valid ! and I still think for the loop the 37E will do nicely with plenty of tankage 50 Gal Fuel and 100 Gal water and the 50hp Perkins 4-108 to drive us along

Perhaps there are some 37E owners who could comment on the range / consumption of the 37E and the 4-108 combination, as well as to any improvement in wx with the post 1981 bowsprit mounted forestay models - was this a cutter option / upgrade ? and has anyone had any stories to tell ?

Enjoy the Keys ! ps we stayed at Tavernier Key - there's a neat anchorage for you right up near the Coconut Palm Inn - tight entrance but nice protected anchorage for a cat ...
Sailing Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote