Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2010, 11:46   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
thanks for your help...my cockpit is devided in 3 large sealed compartments...I want them hatches tight fitting and as strong as they can be...they are my life raft.

jean du sud an alberg 30 that circumnavigated used his lazarette compartement as a boyancy in case of emergency...I have twice the boyancy space that jean du sud has...all I need is to close those hatches tight.
I will concede that physics (and stuff ) not my strong point - but given that the lockers will likely be full of stuff that is not bouyant then I don't see how much more bouyancy them being sealed will provide rather than simply locked and the contents used to displace most of the water that enters.

Of course not to say that sealed and dry(ish) lockers would not be very useful in themselves - just not sure if sealed they would serve the purpose sought...........but as I said, physics etc not my strong point
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 14:29   #17

Why did they build the older boats with nothing at all holding the lazerettes closed?

Jobi, You might want to consider making your existing drains larger before adding additional drains.[/QUOTE]

these are not the original covers...I will built some new and better ones, thats why I need ideas...I can build just about anything wood or fiberglass...maight as well do it right.

the original drains do a good job, they are strait down thruhull...id rather do a 3in hole in my transome then enlarge my hull holes...the hole thrue transome is well above water line just beside the hole I will do for the bilge pump...if you think this is a bad idea pleas let me know.

all you guys are of grate assistence and pleas dont be afraid to speech up...I am the first to admit not knowing much about sailing, and if I post here its to get educated.
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 11:06   #18

Boat: Bristol 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
Why did they build the older boats with nothing at all holding the lazerettes closed?

Jobi, You might want to consider making your existing drains larger before adding additional drains.
these are not the original covers...I will built some new and better ones, thats why I need ideas...I can build just about anything wood or fiberglass...maight as well do it right.

the original drains do a good job, they are strait down thruhull...id rather do a 3in hole in my transome then enlarge my hull holes...the hole thrue transome is well above water line just beside the hole I will do for the bilge pump...if you think this is a bad idea pleas let me know.

all you guys are of grate assistence and pleas dont be afraid to speech up...I am the first to admit not knowing much about sailing, and if I post here its to get educated.[/QUOTE]

Not only do you need a tight seal to your cockpit seat lockers, they need adequate drains. It is doubtful that you can make the seat locker lids both air tight and to be used for storage. If you are looking for reserve bouyancy in case of sinking, I would suggest adapting some sort of air bladders that can be inflated, and use the cockpit seat lockers for storage as they were intended. The seat locker drains should be slanted down at least 25 or 30 degrees so the leeward seats will drain when the boat is heeled. Once you have drains for the locker lids I would suggest using a silicone weatherstripping from McMaster Carr.

Good luck,
Old 17-01-2011, 15:56   #19

Boat: a sailing boat
A gasket around the perimeter and what they call 'dogs' to hold the whole thing down.

Make sure the hinges are sound and the wood around them not rotten.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 20:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
A gasket around the perimeter and what they call 'dogs' to hold the whole thing down.

Make sure the hinges are sound and the wood around them not rotten.

b.
all my new hatches will have a T cross member glassed from the inside...a cable cliped to the hatch and run down thru a poulie at the bottom of each compartments...these cables will close the hatches with a ratchet tightner similar to a tiedown or ski boots and some new skates have them too...the ratchet tightner will be located on the side wall of the cockpit beside bildge pumps...this systhem will be 100% water tight and air tight...the front hatch and companion way hatch will also have this closing option from the interior... and my portlights will be changed to thiker acrylique...I want these to be my life raft no less.
Old 17-01-2011, 22:36   #21

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post

OK, I'm quoting myself here because it seems that I've been quoted a few times and they all seem to miss what I intended.

My boat, a 1973 Islander, also has nothing to keep the lazarette hatches closed. It's a project on my list as well. I've noticed it on other older boats. So if anyone has any idea as to why this was so common back then....?
Old 17-01-2011, 23:33   #22

Boat: 1983 Bristol 35.5 - "CAPRIOLE" Hull #123
Lazarette Closure

On almost all boats the lazarettes are designed so that dummies can't accidently lock themselves in while working in them. Our marina had to rescue a guy that had gotten locked in his lazarette over the weekend while he was replacing a temp guage (he was in there overnight and into the next morning). Be careful of your design. Being prepared realistically is important. Just remember: 99% of what you imagine might happen, will never happen. See you on the water.
StormSailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 01:52   #23

Boat: Islander 36
I would have to have had a story like that to even think of the posibility. I'm nearly ashamed to admit that I got a chuckel out of that...
Nearly ashamed. Is that good enough so I can laugh on the inside?
Old 18-01-2011, 03:27   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
OK, I'm quoting myself here because it seems that I've been quoted a few times and they all seem to miss what I intended.

My boat, a 1973 Islander, also has nothing to keep the lazarette hatches closed. It's a project on my list as well. I've noticed it on other older boats. So if anyone has any idea as to why this was so common back then....?
"Back in the day" boats were not expected to be inverted quite as much as modern tastes prefer.

Plus also probably dockside theft not such an issue, as well as simply a cost saving and conveniance (if you've ever grazed a shin with a badly designed cockpit locker latch you will know what I mean). and "back in the day" folks not only were expected to tweak there boats to match there own requirements, they mostly wanted to - rather than rely on a builder to spoon feed them.........

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 03:41   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
"Back in the day" boats were not expected to be inverted quite as much as modern tastes prefer.

Plus also probably dockside theft not such an issue, as well as simply a cost saving and conveniance (if you've ever grazed a shin with a badly designed cockpit locker latch you will know what I mean). and "back in the day" folks not only were expected to tweak there boats to match there own requirements, they mostly wanted to - rather than rely on a builder to spoon feed them.........

funny you mension theft as my design is anty theft...they wont even think the ratchets are to opent the hatches...and if they do wont find the quick release...I came up with a clever hidden quick release for the companion way...they wont open any hatches not even with a pry bar...peace of mind when away from boat...my boat needs to be this way sins I will be out in the jungles most of my time...lucky for me Iv generated most of my income these past 25 years from theft prevention.