Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 01:27   #16

Boat: Moody 44
Send a message via Skype™ to winckyst
Re: moody 44 1995

oh, you missed the link for the water maker......
winckyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:33   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by winckyst View Post
since we are new in this cruising world......speed is not prime on my "worries' list".
safety first, quality of living aboard and slowly slowly we will get to all those long distance destinations.we are not in a hurry!!
any info with extra water and fuel inboard tanks that can be added?
is it possible change the in must into a fully battened in an inexpensive way?
Well, some people truly don't care about speed, or other sailing qualities. But if you like to sail, then good sailing qualities are extremely important. It makes all the difference between having a blast making a passage, and a tedious slog, or worse yet, motoring. It's not just a question of getting there faster.

I would not recommend buying a boat without knowing how it sails. If all the Moody 44's are as terrible performers as one of the above posters describes, then I would avoid them, myself. Seems hard to believe, but I would check.

Changing inmast furling is not realistically economical, but no need to. It has certain advantages, especially, easier reefing and easier, better sail storage. It is probably an enhancement to safety (all reefing from the cockpit).
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:07   #18

We own a 1995 Moody 44 and are quite happy with her. She performs beautifully, is exceptionally well constructed, comfortable, and fast! I have no idea why another visitor here said the boat is slow. Our experience is that she performs to expectations. If you have any familiarity with PHRF ratings, then you will easily recognize that with her PHRF of 106 this is quite a fast boat. Sailed properly she is a 7-8 knot boat.

The Kemp in-mast roller-furling is wonderful and once familiar with it works flawlessly. Under spinnaker this boat flies! Her tankage is more than adequate. The Volvo MD22 diesel consumes about .9GPH at about 6 knots.

FYI, I am a Certified Professional Yacht Broker (Yacht Broker's Assoc. of America) and KNOW boats. I have a very large amount of experience with yachts and with that can critique most vessels. Our M-44 is the finest boat I have ever sailed, and she is recognized everywhere we go as being the boat many folks wanted but just could't fit into their budget. We keep our boat "yacht-like" - always polished, shined, well varnished, and a beauty to behold. They're considered "luxury boats" and do command a high price. It's not a Catalina, Hunter, Beneteau, or Jeanneau. It is MUCH more!

Our boat is currently for sale and can be found on the Moody Owners Association website. If you desire a boat which will make others envious, the Moody is for you.
CPYB Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:39   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

I also came up with the same PHRF handicap, and the other data suggest that the Moody 44 is a very good sailing boat. Here is a discussion among M44 owners about their boats' performance:

Moody Owners Information Exchange: Information about Moody 44

As you can see, they report 7 and even 8 knots average speeds on long passages, which is more what I would expect from a boat like this. The designer is known for fast and very seaworthy and stable boats.

Interestingly, one has just been listed in the CF classifieds: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post926195

$200k is a lot of money for an almost 20 year old boat of this size, but -- well-made, good boats like these do hold their value.
Old 09-04-2012, 00:34   #20

We're on the process buying one right now.
all the good things you've say about this moody 44 is well known to us!!!
is just the indetermination we're into since it's our first time we buy a yacht: mix of excitement+fear+million opinions that everybody gives us......

but eventually we will make the right choice (probably this Moody!).
if you like the sell yours , i suggest we will continue our chat via privet email or phone:+972-54-883570.
thanks
Sharon
Old 09-04-2012, 00:36   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Among many other things to be careful with when buying an old boat, be sure to carefully check the tanks. I believe the Moody 44 has got mild steel fuel tanks and aluminum water tanks. Water lying in the bottom of a mild steel fuel tank can rust it through from the inside -- usually does -- so this type of tank is a ticking time bomb.

The problem with tanks is that most boats are built around them, and they can be the very devil to remove and replace, sometimes requiring serious surgery. A problem or two like this, and your $25k refit budget can simply evaporate. Make sure and have a really thorough survey done.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:43   #22

Dear friends
FRANCHINI 43S 1996
any one got any idea about this boat?
how is it as a blue water long distance cruise?
performance?
ease of use?
safety?

thanks for any help!
Sharon
Old 24-06-2012, 07:05   #23

Quite typically poor performance originates not with the vessel but with the operator. With a PHRF number of 106 the Moody 44's have beyond reproach proven to be exceptionally fast sailing vessels.
The comment from the multi-hull guy is what you can expect from the elitists who think multis sail faster and better than monohulls. Cruising multis are simply NOT so much faster that the huge increase in expense can be justified by their performance. I have personally sailed my monos against multis and kept up with or beat them regularly.
There are far too many factors to make the statement that M-44's are not good performers, an far too much PROOF that they are quite the opposite.
CPYB Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote