Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2006, 12:51   #1

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Mariner 39

Anyone familiar with the Mariner 39? Is this boat blue-water capable for Caribbean and beyond? Sailing charactheristics and comfort? I had not heard of this type of boat before but came across one for sale that seems really nice (on paper).
Thanks for any info!

Iris
sailorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 13:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
There were two very different companies that built 39 foot boats that were called Mariners. The one boat was built in Taiwan and was an absolutely miserable boat in all respects, but particulary with regards to really poor build quality and sailing ability. Run don't walk the other way from one of these turkeys.

The second Mariner 39 was constructed by a New England based company. These were reasonably good coastal cruisers. Build quality was a cut above average. Sailing ability was not bad. They came as aft cockpit and center cockpit layouts. The aft cockpit version has a lot more storage and a slightly better layout for distance cruising. The center cockpit version has all of the problems associated with trying to cram a center cockpit layout into way too short a boat. Other than that these boats have a pretty light ballast to weight ratio, especially when considering their shallow draft, encapsulated keels.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 15:00   #3

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I actually own a mariner 40 made in yokosuka japan, with the exception of some deck issues i believe it is one of the best blue designs around. It is a traditional full keeled ketch, I am sure you are talking about another boat

mike and paula anthony

S/v Tivoli
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 15:05   #4

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I guess i should have said blue water, not just blue, sometimes i think my mouth and typing fingers were made in Tiawan.

Check the mariner line made by Far East Mariner they are pretty, nice sailing boat.

Mike and paula

S/V Tivoil
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:26   #5

Iris,

Check out this site. It all about the restoration and adventures of a Mariner 39, it's an excellent site and realy nice folks.

http://sailzora.com/

Scott
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:15   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
That is a nice site Scott. They sure sound like nice people, people that I am looking forward to meeting. Here on the Great lakes we can only get a small taste of the people that are out cruising and seeing the world. I am looking forward to the relaxed attitude that cruisers I have met seem to have.
Old 15-01-2006, 15:04   #7

Boat: Newport 41 mk II
There is also a Robert Perry designed Fairweather Mariner 39

http://boatsville.com/used_boats_det...r%20Mariner&39

Saw a used one once at a local boat show. Like the cockpit, ergonomics, & galley. (Not designed for our family of six however...)
SailorPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006, 09:59   #8

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Mariner 39

Thanks for the input on the Mariner 39. I saw the website about the young family on Zora. That's when I first heard about the Mariner boats. I like the layout of the boat for a 39 footer. We are looking at center cockpit boats with a nice aft cabin in the 38 - 45 foot range. I know there are some advantages to going a bit smaller as far as cost goes, so a 39' boat like the Mariner is appealing.
Thanks again!
Iris
sailorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:35   #9

Boat: Gulfstar Sailmaster 39 Freespirit
Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Brancato
Mariner 39

I visit the website that Zora a Mariner 39 has excellent read great people , pictures from Maine through Virgin Islands to South America . The Mariner 39 is like the Gulfstar in specs surprise imagine a Mariner poorly built as a Gulfstar made it safely to all those places must be a miracle . We should all buy boats like a Farr because they are the only seaworthy boats around . Where have the Farr boats cruised besides Maryland racing . Where is there experience to judge what other people should buy cruise etc . I suspect they should get a life and do some real cruising get experience with that rather than insulting other peoples choices on a boat . I am not into race boats but I respect others to do so and there choices . Just about every boat out there used, needs some work now or in the future its part of boating . I think the Mariner 39 can be a wonderful boat to cruise on and it sure has nice lines . I think all you people out there looking for a cruising boat need to read more and talk to people in person whom own the type of boat your interested in to get a opinion of the boat . I would not put much weight into some people whom seem to be bias or closed minded of other choices . I think Gordan May seems to be pretty much on the mark and open minded . I realize some boats are built better than others but you need to think of cost , shape , intended use of . There is NOT MAGIC BOAT FOR EVERY SEA OR PURPOSE is called compromise . There is a boat called Oday 25 small but nice day sailer , live aboard , ocean going ? not for me but it can be what some want , need , and can be found all over but mabe they got there by train or airplane . I close with check out Zora very impressive they have onions , they bought a boat needing much work mabe junk to some but the made it a wonderfull cruising boat . God Bless Them and may they have only fair winds
Joseph Brancato
Gulfstar Sailmaster 39
S/V Free Spirit
PS probability poor built and Junk to some
but it takes me where I want to Go With out a crowd on the rail
Joseph Brancato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:52   #10

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
This falls in your length range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknoebl
We are looking at center cockpit boats with a nice aft cabin in the 38 - 45 foot range. Iris
You may want to look at these boats. They fall within your length range and have one heck of a lot of storage as well as being exceedingly safe and comfortable.

-Dave

http://www.westsail.org/_family/_ws42/index.html
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 14:22   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Mariners. Glad to hear that more people know that there is more than one kind of Mariner out there. My Mariner was a 1967 model 35 all wood ketch built at Far East in Japan. I lived aboard and sailed her in Hawaii and PNW from '82 - '87 making a beautiful Pacific crossing. When maintained properly the Far East boats are good. I'd have her today if it weren't for a Navy transfer from west to east in '86. They absolutely must be maintained properly. Storage uncovered in a rainy environment is a killer for those boats. Regards, --JohnL--
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 14:26   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
P. S. I personally don't like center cockpit boats. But, that's just me.
P. P. S. Check out the Mariner Owners website for information.
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 16:44   #13

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Jeff, We have lived aboard and cruised one of those Taiwan Mariners for 15 years and have found it to be a safe, wonderful, comfortable, well built long distance cruiser. It was built by Tayana who also built a series of Taiwan boats that are cruising safely and comfortably all over the world. I realize this is an old post but I had to reply. There are very very few production boats out there today that compare to the quality and seaworthiness of this boat. She has been subjected to our abuse and survived 14 named storms without a scratch or even a slight strain. If anyone wants to spend a little time reading about her latest adventures for the past eighteen months and get an idea of just what kind of cruiser she is first hand instead of just biased opinions have a look here
http://7knots.com./cgi-bin/list_posr...=20;all=SEARCH

And I would not deter anyone from considering this boat if it has been properly maintained and cared for.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 18:09   #14

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Chuck and Joseph,

There are lots who have never sailed, inspected or even seen some boats that badmouth them because they aren't, in their opinion, "bluewater boats". These boats don't meet their views on what a proper boat should be. For them every boat has to be "bulletproof" when in reality no boat is "bulletproof". Perhaps they've seen a poorly maintained boat , perhaps they've read of experiences of others who ended up with a poorly maintained boat. These armchair critics perpetuate the myth that you can't go to sea without a battleship. No boat is seaworthy without proper maintenance, most boats can weather storm conditions if properly maintained and under the command of competent sailors.
Old 30-08-2006, 09:38   #15

Here is the correct info on Mariner 39 center cockpit sloop....

Hi Iris-
confusing, isn't it? The Mariner 39 you are looking at is one of the New England-built ones. (New hampshire). TOTALLY different from the Far East built boats. Jeff H is incorrect: they are not shoal draft boats with encapsulated keels. They have a very very rugged and proper construction with a rugged fiberglass keel stub, external lead keel with more-than-usual amount of Aquamet stainless keel bolts. I definitely think this is an offshore capable boat. Please disregard any comparison with Gulfstars, too, as the build quality cannot be compared.

We just returned from taking our Mariner 39 from maine to South America and back (after a major refit) and will likely take her round the world in a few years. Our web site chronicles the refit, problems we found (corroded rudder stock being the most dangerous) and trip: www.sailzora.com.

Another M39 owner had his 25-year-old chainplate fail on him, so i'd recommend doing what we did (on ANY older boat before going offshore) and replacing them or at least removing for thorough inspection.

Mariner 39 is a lot of quality cruising boat, very offshore capable, for the money.

best wishes
Stacey
staceyneil is offline   Reply With Quote